Still expect 4-1 | Syracusefan.com

Still expect 4-1

K

K Otto XLIV

Wake, Central Michigan, and South Florida shouldn't be able to do a thing against our D. As long as the O doesn't turn the ball over, we should win those games. That was the case with Hunt and should be the case without Hunt. IMO the only way those teams have a shot is if we came out slinging it around and threw some INTs. Now we almost have to white knuckle it just to be safe. Will it help Dungey develop more if we throw it a lot? Sure, but it isn't worth the risk of losing the game.

After the next 4 games I don't expect SU to win another game. I think we could have a chance the last 2 games because by then Dungey will have 10 games under his belt. Also NC State's D will look like a JV D compared to the prior 5 games.

In a way Hun't injury will make the season less stressful the last 7 games. We are a young team and will be the underdogs. Pretty much anything we do will be a positive. So as long as we improve week to week it could be fun to watch. Those games will be prep for next year. As long as we show promise, we should all be happy.

IMO anything less than 4 wins is still a bad season. Anything more than 4 is a good season. If we go 4-8 losing the last 7 I think Shafer is save, assuming we didn't get blown out in those last 7 games.

Wake, Central Michigan, and South Florida shouldn't be able to do a thing against our D. As long as the O doesn't turn the ball over, we should win those games. That was the case with Hunt and should be the case without Hunt. IMO the only way those teams have a shot is if we came out slinging it around and threw some INTs. Now we almost have to white knuckle it just to be safe. Will it help Dungey develop more if we throw it a lot? Sure, but it isn't worth the risk of losing the game.

After the next 4 games I don't expect SU to win another game. I think we could have a chance the last 2 games because by then Dungey will have 10 games under his belt. Also NC State's D will look like a JV D compared to the prior 5 games.

In a way Hun't injury will make the season less stressful the last 7 games. We are a young team and will be the underdogs. Pretty much anything we do will be a positive. So as long as we improve week to week it could be fun to watch. Those games will be prep for next year. As long as we show promise, we should all be happy.

IMO anything less than 4 wins is still a bad season. Anything more than 4 is a good season. If we go 4-8 losing the last 7 I think Shafer is save, assuming we didn't get blown out in those last 7 games.

The d played great last night. In fact, line play on both sides was outstanding. The only effect that the URI d-line's double teams and stunting had was to create massive holes for our runners. If both lines can hold up and stay healthy in this early stretch, I agree that 4-1 is doable. There's enough talent around Dungey to beat those teams without asking him to do the heavy lifting. Injuries to anyone on either line, though, will complicate things. But especially on offense. The backups are not ready for primetime.

Cent. Mich gave Ok. State a scare. We could have our hands full.

Cent. Mich gave Ok. State a scare. We could have our hands full.

They did nada on O vs Okie St. The only thing they accomplished was keeping the Okie St O off the field and keeping the score low. Baring TOs we are going to outscore them.

My expectations have changed. This season, IMO, will hinge on Dungey's ability to develop. Unless we can stretch the field throwing our running game will have difficulties.

I saw promising things this morning when I watched the game. I also saw some troubling things. The field is moving very fast for Dungey's right now. It should get better with reps. Wake Forest is a huge test for him next week.

I think the defense will be solid as a whole, but, the Secondary needs time to develop as well.

My expectations have changed. This season, IMO, will hinge on Dungey's ability to develop. Unless we can stretch the field throwing our running game will have difficulties.

I saw promising things this morning when I watched the game. I also saw some troubling things. The field is moving very fast for Dungey's right now. It should get better with reps. Wake Forest is a huge test for him next week.

I think the defense will be solid as a whole, but, the Secondary needs time to develop as well.

My expectations changed by 2 games. I expected 6-6 with 4-8 being unacceptable. I now expect 4-8 with 3-9 being unacceptable. If we cannot get to 4 Ws then we need new coaches.

They did nada on O vs Okie St. The only thing they accomplished was keeping the Okie St O off the field and keeping the score low. Baring TOs we are going to outscore them.
I didn't watch the game, but looking at the box score... 343 yds of offense, 265 passing, 19 1st downs.

If we can maintain a decent running game, I see lots of play action in our future. Dungey has very nice ball deception skills for a freshman.

It's not like Hunt was going to win us games this year. It's terrible that he got hurt but I like d what I saw from our QB last night. Will he look good against some of the defense's we will see down the road. probably not. But I'm not sold that Hunt would have either. I don't think our win loss changed last night. Now another injury...

Previously, I was expecting 5-7 wins. The QB change drops that to 4-7 wins. Need to start 3-2, or better. A bit of experience should allow Dungey to improve enough to pick up some wins along the way.

3-9 would be problematic for the program, and the coaches.

Very fair post -- agree 100%. And I think it is important to recognize that Dungey was playing in the first game of his college career, having only the benefit of a couple of weeks of practice under his belt. So I think it is unfair to be hyper critical of the performance. But the point highlighted above is what scares me for this year.

That's not a knock on Eric's long term potential. He seems to have "it," but "it" might not fully manifest this year. Hope it does, because QB play might be the thing that hampers our quest for a bowl this season. All the other elements seem to be in place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom