Story behind GMac "overrated" | Syracusefan.com

Story behind GMac "overrated"

Cuse23

Walk On
Good find. The funniest thing? In his older-wiser nostalgic look back and realization about how dumb his McNamara take was he all but called Trevor Cooney overrated right before he helped lead a then struggling SU team to a Final Four. Basically repeating the same damn misjudgment. What a doof.

Just stumbled upon this blog post by one of the Daily Orange writers who, back in 2006, had a hand in the GMac is "overrated" kerfuffle. Not many eyes have seemingly seen this, so thought I'd share.

Is this in any way relevant to this year's team and the high of yesterday's win over Duke, I don't know. An interesting read nonetheless.

10 ****ing years later: my role in Syracuse basketball’s most ‘overrated’ scandal | MercerSpace.com
Only in Syracuse would writer scheme to tear down a beloved star player. Reading that story, I felt jealousy. A lot of it. It is a shame a good newspaper like the Daily Orange was infected by the tabloid 'journalism' infection.

Hopefully someday good editors will put things right.

Zach Berman was in my fraternity. He was a good guy. I don't know much about Ramsey or the above writer.

The GMac was overrated article was a survey from other Big East personnel. I remember grabbing it at Krouse. It has a counter-point article next to it writing GMac wasn't overrated.

Only in Syracuse would writer scheme to tear down a beloved star player. Reading that story, I felt jealousy. A lot of it. It is a shame a good newspaper like the Daily Orange was infected by the tabloid 'journalism' infection.

Hopefully someday good editors will put things right.

Anthes is no Pete Thamel. ;)

Just stumbled upon this blog post by one of the Daily Orange writers who, back in 2006, had a hand in the GMac is "overrated" kerfuffle. Not many eyes have seemingly seen this, so thought I'd share.

Is this in any way relevant to this year's team and the high of yesterday's win over Duke, I don't know. An interesting read nonetheless.

10 ****ing years later: my role in Syracuse basketball’s most ‘overrated’ scandal | MercerSpace.com
There was also an article in SI where they polled assistants in the various leagues and one of the categories was overrated and they listed Gerry as most overrated in the conference. In JB's rant I feel like he was kind of talking about both things and maybe assuming the Daily Orange article was birthed out of the SI piece which apparently is not the case.

I love Gerry as a player, but thought he was overrated. Thought he was a good and clutch player, just wasn't great. Think Devendorf was a better player.

It's a shame that Edelin experienced whatever issues he did. Four full years of those two playing together would have been unreal, and would have taken so much of the burden off GMac to be the primary ball handler.

I love Gerry as a player, but thought he was overrated. Thought he was a good and clutch player, just wasn't great. Think Devendorf was a better player.
WHAT??!? How DARE you, sir! I may need to challenge you to a duel.

It would have to be a duel of wits, since guns and swords aren't my thing.

I used to watch "The office" occasionally and never realized that Gerry Made it onto the show:

dwight-schrute-bobblehead-and-gerry-mcnamara_1_a926a61df53414d74434a8142a685900.jpg

dwight-schrute.jpg

A lot of those players on all those teams outside of Gerry never turned into the players we thought they would. I know Terence Roberts always had knee issues, but Darry Watkins was the number once center coming out of high school in 2003 and never developed any inside game whatsoever. I always thought those two had as much raw ability as the bigs UConn had in Boone and Okafor but they never lived up to their recruiting rankings, but Bernie was such a great big man coach.

I used to watch "The office" occasionally and never realized that Gerry Made it onto the show:

dwight-schrute-bobblehead-and-gerry-mcnamara_1_a926a61df53414d74434a8142a685900.jpg

dwight-schrute.jpg

A couple of SU fans and alums worked for The Office. Between that and the Scranton connection, they found room for that thing.

I remember that on the first Jim Boeheim show the next year I pointed out we don't have Gerry macNamara any more and asked how many games we would win this year. :cool:

WHAT??!? How DARE you, sir! I may need to challenge you to a duel.

It would have to be a duel of wits, since guns and swords aren't my thing.

You might have better odds with them, though ;)

I remember that on the first Jim Boeheim show the next year I pointed out we don't have Gerry macNamara any more and asked how many games we would win this year. :cool:

Did he say not 10?!?

The writer of the article seems like a bit of a (pick whatever word I'd get ****ed for writing). They make excuses about how busy they were, how much time they spent with the team, etc, etc. It seemed like they wanted to take credit now, without ever having taken the blowback Ramsey took. The logic in this article was p*ss-poor in too many areas for me to mention. I mean, Gerry was overrated because he couldnt have beaten Melo or Warrick in a game of 1 on 1, really?

Writer goes on to express his dislike of Gerry came from fans "preferring" Gerry to all of the other players. This is apparently what it comes down to. The media would be quick to scream racism, but not I(oh wait, it doesnt happen if the player is Irish you say? Gerry could have been historically correct if he he a ghetto blaster outside MSG playing Starship's "We Built This City"?!? Conor McGregor fans seemed to think so when he entered the MSG to become the first human to hold title belts in 2 UFC weight classes, so let's give the Irish their due). I think it was "racism against height", to paraphrase Kelly Bundy. The writers might have been about Gerry's height(maybe taller), and jealous they didn't work their tail off to get the fan support that he got. With other players, it's easy for their minds to say "I'm not 6'7 and/or chiseled out of stone, so of course I cant be expected to do that, and get that glory". With Gerry, those excuses are thown out, and you have to take a longer look at yourself in the mirror while thinking up an excuse.

I really think it was height-ism, but I can't completely rule out racism, or some other ism to be named later. "that we weren’t required as SU students to blindly support the basketball team". How is not calling Gerry overrated blindly supporting the team? If these are the people actually covering the team, it's understandable why the student section as a whole suffers when compared to the rabidity one witnesses elsewhere, on average. To reply to that quote, I'd say as a SU fan I'm not required to blindly support the overall pathetic(on average) student support, compared to other schools, or the crappy writing they put out, regardless of how esteemed their degree is in the eyes of some. A turd is a turd, regardless if it's orange colored...and trust me, I have seen some that were, without any external adulteration.

Someone that uses the facebook thing required to leave a post might be so kind to leave a link of this thread in the comments. On a positive note, this person could probably write for the post standard/syracuse.com, who played a part with their ridiculous poll. Why do people poll on which student athlete is the most overrated in the first place?!?!? Isn't anyone else bothered by such a question?

Last edited: