students free again | Syracusefan.com

students free again

This is the "everyone get's a trophy" generation, or the "selfie" generation. Why would they expect to have to pay for a ticket?

This is the "everyone get's a trophy" generation, or the "selfie" generation. Why would they expect to have to pay for a ticket?

That is quite the leap...

Also quite humorous because 10 year old kids don't force organizations to make sure everyone gets a "participation" trophy, it's their 40 year old parents.

I think it has more to do with the school trying to find a new way to entice students to come to games than any sense of entitlement. If the team were winning more recently, my guess is that attendance would be better. As we haven't had much success the past few seasons, the school is taking a different approach.

That is quite the leap...

Also quite humorous because 10 year old kids don't force organizations to make sure everyone gets a "participation" trophy, it's their 40 year old parents.
The implication was that years of those 10 year olds receiving participation trophies for not being good enough, have lead to 18-22 year olds wanting something for nothing. I was only half serious. Perhaps a ;) would have helped convey that.

Said the "Get off my lawn" generation.

I think it's smart to get people in, I think we finally have a product that's very watchable and I believe this team will turn a lot of heads even if it doesn't put up a great win loss record

Is it lonely up there on your cross?

I think this gesture by SU is more about the lack of attendance for this game. It must be obvious that the upper corners of the Dome are still empty or they wouldn't be making this offer. The lack of fan interest for this game is mind boggling.

The implication was that years of those 10 year olds receiving participation trophies for not being good enough, have lead to 18-22 year olds wanting something for nothing. I was only half serious. Perhaps a ;) would have helped convey that.

Fair enough :)

I think this gesture by SU is more about the lack of attendance for this game. It must be obvious that the upper corners of the Dome are still empty or they wouldn't be making this offer. The lack of fan interest for this game is mind boggling.

It's not all that mind boggling honestly. Aside from the issues with the product on the field over the past 15 years, SU has done absolutely zero to entice the casual fan to go to the games, so they don't go. It's simple really.

It seems they only notice when the shlit hits the fan and they might be embarassed and it is usually too little too late. Kind of like announcing students will get in for free the day before the game.

CuseOnly said:
It's not all that mind boggling honestly. Aside from the issues with the product on the field over the past 15 years, SU has done absolutely zero to entice the casual fan to go to the games, so they don't go. It's simple really. It seems they only notice when the shlit hits the fan and they might be embarassed and it is usually too little too late. Kind of like announcing students will get in for free the day before the game.

It's really just wins. The other stuff figures itself out.

It's really just wins. The other stuff figures itself out.

We realistically wont know that until they actually win. There are 10,000 things the University could do to increase attendance, they just choose not to. Those are facts.

hoopsupstate said:
The lack of fan interest for this game is mind boggling.

Not really. Friday games have always felt bush league to me. Add in the fact that we have sucked for 15 years and have really blown chunks the last two. All this equates to about 30 thousand die hards like us showing up every game. No worries, DB will change this. It just isn't going to happen over night. Unless of course we beat UL tomorrow.

Not really. Friday games have always felt bush league to me. Add in the fact that we have sucked for 15 years and have really blown chunks the last two. All this equates to about 30 thousand die hards like us showing up every game. No worries, DB will change this. It just isn't going to happen over night. Unless of course we beat UL tomorrow.
The mind boggling part is the "30,000 die hards". The combined MSA of Syracuse, Rochester, and Utica is...wait for it...2,000,000 people. So 1.5 % really love Syracuse football? Jesus H. Even if that number were 2% that would be 40,000 before casual, students and walk-up.

sorry...Gen X'er here.
No need to apologize to them.. I'm a Millennial and couldn't agree more with you. The core principles on which this country was founded, have been lost through an entire generation. The longer this continues to happen, the harder it will be to rebound..

That said, I don't think it really applies to this situation. Fill the Dome to show support for the team. The tough part is that after doing this two games in a row, it'll be a long time before another student buys a ticket pre-game.

Great job by the students showing appreciation for the free tickets by clearing out by the middle of the first quarter. Abyssmal.

Winning program puts butts in the stands plane and simple. No other way will work. You can give every ticket in there away, but if you consistently losing people will leave early. At that point they feel that have better things to do!

And don't get me wrong it will take time to build that winning program. All you have to do last night was look at the size and skill of the UL players to SU players. And I am not putting down the current players it is just a fact of last nights game.

Really we are 2 games into the new coaching staff and yes things are not prefect but there is positives to be seen. Take a deep breath and KEEP CALM AND GO ORANGE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom