Students Need To Be Called Out... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Students Need To Be Called Out...

Regardless of what they were doing, they believed it was either more interesting than going to see a game where we were a 3TD dog or more important.

The casual fan will invest time and money to see what it expected to be a competitive game against a big time opponent. The casual fan will not invest time and money when we're a 3 TD dog. Not in 2016. This applies to all fans, not just students. To think otherwise, we might as well go pound sand.

Hopefully this was a step towards casual fans realizing what's starting to happen here.

Personally, I just don't get the timing of this thread.
Immediately after the biggest win of the Babers Era, do we really need to revisit how lacking our student fan participation has been?
Is there anything being cited in this thread that hasn't been rehashed DOZENS of times before? Seriously, can we put a lid on the abject cynicism and negativity for more than 24 hours, and actually try to ENJOY the progress that we witnessed yesterday?
Bottomline, when we start winning fans will come out- everybody likes a winner. What earthly difference does a thread like this make to the overall situation, other than to sow discord and negativity? Buzz Killington himself couldn't have done a better job at being a wet blanket...and for what purpose?
Its not "pie-in-the-sky" to actually celebrate that win yesterday, instead of wallowing in the mire of negativity that SOME choose to embrace at all times.
Sheesh.

Personally, I just don't get the timing of this thread.
Immediately after the biggest win of the Babers Era, do we really need to revisit how lacking our student fan participation has been?
Is there anything being cited in this thread that hasn't been rehashed DOZENS of times before? Seriously, can we put a lid on the abject cynicism and negativity for more than 24 hours, and actually try to ENJOY the progress that we witnessed yesterday?
Bottomline, when we start winning fans will come out- everybody likes a winner. What earthly difference does a thread like this make to the overall situation, other than to sow discord and negativity? Buzz Killington himself couldn't have done a better job at being a wet blanket...and for what purpose?
Its not "pie-in-the-sky" to actually celebrate that win yesterday, instead of wallowing in the mire of negativity that SOME choose to embrace at all times.
Sheesh.
Just Ish being Ish.

Just got off the phone with my buddy's youngest son who just transferred into SU this fall. Told him I was calling him out for not supporting the football team. He was like, 'wait...why are you calling me?"

No, I'm arguing that very few students were studying on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. And that ones that were probably have no idea what a football looks like and would never go to a game anyway.

Yes, few studying, and most missed the superficial draw of #17 and espn. Seriously, what else was a draw mid afternoon?

Just Ish being Ish.

But others in the clique are allowed to comment on student attendance. I get it. I love this team, you fellas don't know me.

I get your point...but the timing sucks. Maybe next time, wait until Tuesday or Wednesday ;-)

Good point, just such a sensitive and touchy fanbase. Mostly a circle of friends and i get it. Thing is, i loved the win, have been giddy for almost a day and have expressed this. When one of the "right guys " slams the students all is well. Its comical. If we lost to a big profile team my post would be ok. However, some of these guys let my student post bring them down. That's not my intention. Its a great time to be orange, just would have liked to have seen the student section as part of it.

The casual fans and students will return when we start going to a bowl game every year. The VT game was a big help in showing them we are headed in the right direction.

Are you just trying to get your message count up, you've written like half the messages on this thread. I'm sure you'll reply to this too.

40% showed up? That's a lot, some games nobody shows up. So why did you make this thread? Never mind.

The students will come once we start winning consistently. The product last night was fantastic. Even if we lose playing like that, it's an exciting kind of football that is easy to get behind. The students will come around. But there has been no culture of supporting football for a long time. If you went to Rutgers or back in the day temple, woukd you have gone to a bbq on a beautiful fall day or a game that would be sloppily played that you were likely to lose ? People on this board know the history and are excited to relive it. The students think they go to a basketball school with a football problem. Winning and offense will change that narrative. Just watch it transform over the next few years.

Totally. Once they start winning they will come. These kids don't know about nor care about SU past football history with McNabb and before. Basketball is a different story since they are always good and in the spotlight. Seriously, like you say...a chance to go to an outdoor BBQ/party with hot broads > SU football. It will change.

Students not attending games is not an issue that only impacts SU. Google it, student attendance is down all over, even at programs that win much more regularly than we do.

Could be much worse...

image_1278.png

Yes, few studying, and most missed the superficial draw of #17 and espn. Seriously, what else was a draw mid afternoon?
beer, boobs, burgers....

SU football games can be expensive. Frat party costs $5