Women's Lacrosse - SU 16 vs Boston College 17: Thurs Apr 20, 7 PM | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Women's Lacrosse SU 16 vs Boston College 17: Thurs Apr 20, 7 PM

"Feeling" a loss could be very helpful to this lovable group- lots of talented teams out there that will make you pay for losing focus and failing to make the necessary in-game adjustments. I think this will make them better, just another challenge after all the season-ending injuries to important players they have worked to overcome.
I do not feel this way about the loss.

IMO, the team was riding the high and living off the swagger of being undefeated and #1, and that is all gone now.

All bc BC outworked them, and Ward got too cute (and disrespectful towards BCs defense) with her passing, and then suddenly, the D could not stop a darn thing. Things went downhill after Tyrell became the all time leading scorer. Just a loss of focus perhaps, or focused on the wrong things (embarrassing teams, cute sideline dances after scores, as opposed to doing all the little things that got you there).

The look in their faces when BC went up and there was 1:30 left, they looked like their balloon had been popped.

Hopefully, it is a learning and growing moment, but they definitely got cute when up 6 and BC took it away from them.

Last edited:
By 'lose out' I am referring to the potential to not claim a single championship. To go 15-0 and not be the ACC champion or NCAA champion. That would be terrible.
After I responded, I figured that's what you were referring to but didn't want to delete my post. I'd have to agree.

After I responded, I figured that's what you were referring to but didn't want to delete my post. I'd have to agree.
I had been concerned about this for the 4 game stretch. Thought NC would do it. Did not expect BC to do it, after we beat NC. Hopefully they can regain their swagger.

Finishing this crap out is what makes NW, NW, and BC, BC. When you claim the swagger, you have to deliver with championships. It is so hard to get over that hump. This is what makes what men's soccer did so amazing.

If you can do it, then you can capitalize and perhaps start an actual dynasty. If you cannot do it, then its about the same as what Gait was able to accomplish. I really hope they can win it all. You kinda have to, real soon.

I had been hoping they would survive the ACC tourney undefeated, and that swagger would carry them through to the championship game. Maybe Denver beats NW, and you don't have to face NW? And, then in the championship game, you get up by 5 and maybe the other team quits / starts to believe our swagger? Who knows?

Well, whatever. Now, we are going to have to face an undefeated Denver, or perhaps even a red hot NW, much sooner perhaps. Uggh!

Last edited:
I don’t think sideline celebrations had anything to do with this loss. I do think Syracuse failed to finish their shots in the 4th quarter they repeatedly went low when most of their success in the 1st half was on shots in the upper 90. The biggest problem was interior zone defense they have done a great job of collapsing and made several mistakes in the 4th doubling at GLE leaving the interior vulnerable. Should Syracuse win the ACC tournament they will be the 1 seed their RPI and SOS will still be the best in the country. they will have to play the same teams in the tourney no matter what their record is

I don’t think Syracuse’s swagger was going to intimidate BC they have played in 6 straight NCAA championship games including beating Syracuse in 2021.North is gone but a large group of that championship team is still on the roster. Syracuse had a bad 4th quarter execution wise definitely reason for concern but the sky is not falling

I don’t think Syracuse’s swagger was going to intimidate BC they have played in 6 straight NCAA championship games including beating Syracuse in 2021.North is gone but a large group of that championship team is still on the roster. Syracuse had a bad 4th quarter execution wise definitely reason for concern but the sky is not falling
Ehh, BC took it from us. We looked pretty hapless in the 4th.

The sky is never falling until you are looking down on clouds.

Its going to be hard to recover from this. I hope they can.

The swagger would have been nice in these upcoming tournaments.

All that really matters anymore is the NCAAs.

We have been on the doorstep so often. Like the Bills or the Broncos. The Broncos finally got one. I hope we can, this season.

This really stings and the only way to sugarcoat it is by winning the NC. Up for 38 minutes, and to lose? Uggh.

I do not feel this way about the loss.

IMO, the team was riding the high and living off the swagger of being undefeated and #1, and that is all gone now.

All bc BC outworked them, and Ward got too cute (and disrespectful towards BCs defense) with her passing, and then suddenly, the D could not stop a darn thing. Things went downhill after Tyrell became the all time leading scorer. Just a loss of focus perhaps, or focused on the wrong things (embarrassing teams, cute sideline dances after scores, as opposed to doing all the little things that got you there).

The look in their faces when BC went up and there was 1:30 left, they looked like their balloon had been popped.

Hopefully, it is a learning and growing moment, but they definitely got cute when up 6 and BC took it away from them.
Hmmmmm...I think you do feel "this way" about the loss!

Hmmmmm...I think you do feel "this way" about the loss!
At the present moment, I don't feel it will be a learning experience for them. I hope it will. That's what I meant. We will see how they respond in the ACCT. If the game were to have continued 5 more minutes, BC would have won by 10. I just didn't see the proper response and adjustment to the BC tsunami.

Hopefully, they are super motivated by this.

Hopefully, there is better execution on O, less getting beat to GBs, better slides, and Delaney starts to see the ball again. Pretty epic meltdown.

Sometimes a loss leads to a new determination; let’s hope this is the case!
Agree, they either pick themselves up or not. This was the last place they could lose without a terrible impact.

At the present moment, I don't feel it will be a learning experience for them. I hope it will. That's what I meant. We will see how they respond in the ACCT. If the game were to have continued 5 more minutes, BC would have won by 10. I just didn't see the proper response and adjustment to the BC tsunami.

Hopefully, they are super motivated by this.

Hopefully, there is better execution on O, less getting beat to GBs, better slides, and Delaney starts to see the ball again. Pretty epic meltdown.
I hope it's a learning moment for Kayla as well. I'm surprised they didn't change anything defensively after the first few times bc scored running those cuts

I just don’t see how losing by 1 goal affects this team’s confidence or swagger. BC got beat 2x by SU in 2021 went on to win the championship. UNC went undefeated until they met BC in the semi finals what good did swagger do them? Syracuse blew out an undefeated Northwestern in the semi final swagger did them what? UNC went undefeated last year did their swagger help sure but in reality it’s a team’s ability to execute that wins games confidence waivers with the ebbs and flow of the game with every team

Imagine being 15-0 at one point in a 16 game season, and not winning jack.
That sucked.
Could lose out in the ACC and NCAAs as well.
Uggh

Hopefully they were not depending on their swagger.
That's the spirit! (Wth?)

That's the spirit! (Wth?)
I am not here to be chief cheerleader. Just here to blow off some steam after a loss.
If you are looking for 'spirit fingers', there are other posters.

Swagger doesn't do jack. This team didn't get to 15-0 on swagger. They consistently outplayed the best teams in the country and executed when it mattered. They didn't do it during the 4th quarter. I think it's more likely things were going too well yesterday and they lost focus and BC took advantage of that and blitzed them.
It happens. Hopefully, losing snaps them back to reality and they go into the postseason with the knowledge they have to stay focused until the final whistle.

I am not here to be chief cheerleader. Just here to blow off some steam after a loss.
If you are looking for 'spirit fingers', there are other posters.
There's some gray area to work in between cheerleader and doomsayer.
You are free to choose where on the spectrum you want to be.

There's some gray area to work in between cheerleader and doomsayer.
You are free to choose where on the spectrum you want to be.
I have been on this forum since the AOL days, and heard this before. You are free to choose to be the spirit police, or just chill a little bit / ignore / scroll on by when someone blows some steam off, clearly after a really crappy loss.

Things went 'too well' for about 20 minutes, maybe 22. It was a dog fight after that in which we were severely outplayed and the lead quote from the coach in the DO is 'that is a game we could have won'. Sure... They could have... But, they got absolutely blitzed and did not respond. Outscored what? 11-4? And if BC shot on the empty net like they easily could have 12-4? BC 4 goals to our every 1 goal, for 18 minutes? Goodness.

Ward lobbing passes to covered people, and throwing half-speed BTBs from distance into the goalies belly button?

Yeah, I hope they learned a lesson, and this is the restart of great things, and not a major tanking. We will find out soon enough.

I have been on this forum since the AOL days, and heard this before. You are free to choose to be the spirit police, or just chill a little bit / ignore / scroll on by when someone blows some steam off, clearly after a really crappy loss.

Things went 'too well' for about 20 minutes, maybe 22. It was a dog fight after that in which we were severely outplayed and the lead quote from the coach in the DO is 'that is a game we could have won'. Sure... They could have... But, they got absolutely blitzed and did not respond. Outscored what? 11-4? And if BC shot on the empty net like they easily could have 12-4? BC 4 goals to our every 1 goal, for 18 minutes? Goodness.

Ward lobbing passes to covered people, and throwing half-speed BTBs from distance into the goalies belly button?

Yeah, I hope they learned a lesson, and this is the restart of great things, and not a major tanking. We will find out soon enough.
You make good points. Treanor was clearly unnerved by what happened. It could go either way. Last year the team tanked - witness the absolute destruction by Northwestern in the tournament. I hope Treanor has learned from that experience and can right the ship.

You make good points. Treanor was clearly unnerved by what happened. It could go either way. Last year the team tanked - witness the absolute destruction by Northwestern in the tournament. I hope Treanor has learned from that experience and can right the ship.
Where did you see her come unnerved???? I was directly behind the bench at the game and saw nothing that would even remotely elude to this. Nor did her press conference show any signs of being unnerved. She simply said it was a game they definitely could of won and that is always frustrating as a coach

Where did you see her come unnerved???? I was directly behind the bench at the game and saw nothing that would even remotely elude to this. Nor did her press conference show any signs of being unnerved. She simply said it was a game they definitely could of won and that is always frustrating as a coach
We can disagree. After the players left the press conference her demeanor was certainly not upbeat.

We can disagree. After the players left the press conference her demeanor was certainly not upbeat.
I agree, she seemed mad. I was looking for that to be true. She mentioned hoping we see BC again.

I am hardly an expert on the women's game but it seemed to me that, in the fourth quarter against BC, Syracuse really missed Bianca Chevarie. I always thought that part of the strength of Chevarie's game was getting on the hands of feeders on the low wing and behind the goal. Last night it seemed to me that, far too often the BC feeders were able to set up on the passing lanes and wait for cutters unmolested. Curious what others think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom