SU Buzzer-Beaters (21) | Syracusefan.com

SU Buzzer-Beaters (21)

SU94

Starter
Thanks to Battle, my list reached 21 and can now drink legally.
Cannot guarantee I am not missing any.
Game-tying shots need not apply.

I cannot imagine a program with more than this? I bet most don't have 1/3 of these.

21 Syracuse Basketball Buzzer-Beaters ... Shots with under 5 seconds TO WIN!
  • Jimmy Lee vs. North Carolina (NCAAs)
  • L.Rautins vs. Villanova (BE Touney) … tip in.
  • Pearl vs. Georgetown
  • Pearl vs. Boston College
  • S.Thompson at Connecticut … Tie game, Stevie steals inbound pass near half court, dunks with :04 left
  • McRae at Villanova … Laetner-esk pass and shot on same hoop at the Spectrum
  • David Johnson vs. Georgetown (BE Tourney) … over Mourning. Wins BE Tourney
  • M.Lloyd at Providence
  • Moten vs. Villanova
  • Wallace vs. Georgia (NCAAs)
  • Roberts vs. Rutgers … perhaps the unlikeliest hero
  • Blackwell at St. John’s (BE Tourney) … flailing heave from elbow extended
  • Janulis vs. Iona (NCAAs) … most underrated shot in SU history?
  • McNeil vs. Pittsburgh … putback after a G-Mac missed (difficult) layup
  • G-Mac at Georgetown
  • G-Mac vs. Cincinnati (BE Tourney)
  • Ennis at Pitt
  • Gbinije vs. Virginia Tech
  • Battle at Clemson
  • Gillon vs. Duke
  • Battle vs. Georgetown

Last edited:

I cannot imagine a program with more than this? I bet most don't have 1/3 of these.

• Pearl vs. Georgetown
  • S.Thompson at Connecticut … Tie game, Stevie steals inbound pass near half court, dunks with :04 left
  • David Johnson vs. Georgetown (BE Tourney) … over Mourning. Wins BE Tourney while on NCAA probation
  • M.Lloyd at Providence
  • Moten vs. Villanova
  • G-Mac at Georgetown
  • Ennis at Pitt
  • Battle at Clemson
  • Gillon vs. Duke
  • Battle vs. Georgetown
Chuck Wichman made a driving shot at the buzzer to beat St Johns in Manley circa 1971 or 1972.
Greg Monroe hit a corner jumper near the buzzer to beat St Johns at St Johns circa 1985.
Billy Owens scored in the final seconds to beat ND at ND circa 1992.

Battle's was not a buzzer beater. Game winner, yes. But not buzzer beater.

Pearl vs. BC, Gillon vs. Duke, GMac vs. Georgetown, Ennis vs. Pitt... those were buzzer beaters.

Sorry but the horn has to go off and the clock at 0.0 to be considered a buzzer beater.

Battle's was not a buzzer beater. Game winner, yes. But not buzzer beater.

Pearl vs. BC, Gillon vs. Duke, GMac vs. Georgetown, Ennis vs. Pitt... those were buzzer beaters.

Sorry but the horn has to go off and the clock at 0.0 to be considered a buzzer beater.
Maybe the OP didin't have the right choice of words exactly, but he did say "Shots with under 5 seconds TO WIN"

Maybe the OP didin't have the right choice of words exactly, but he did say "Shots with under 5 seconds TO WIN"

Fair enough... didn't read it closely. Missed the bold letters :)

Louis Orr had a driving layup to beat St. John's @ St. John's band box gym in, I am pretty certain, 1980

Chuck Wichman made a driving shot at the buzzer to beat St Johns in Manley circa 1971 or 1972.
Greg Monroe hit a corner jumper near the buzzer to beat St Johns at St Johns circa 1985.
Billy Owens scored in the final seconds to beat ND at ND circa 1992.
I can now picture the Greg Monroe shot. IIRC, it was at their Alumni Hall and not at MSG. Am I right or wrong with that recollection?

I started watching SU Hoops when Pearl arrived. So, I bet there were a few between Jimmy Lee and Leo. Thanks for adding in.

Louis Orr had a driving layup to beat St. John's @ St. John's band box gym in, I am pretty certain, 1980
Right. First year of the Big East.
I can now picture the Greg Monroe shot. IIRC, it was at their Alumni Hall and not at MSG. Am I right or wrong with that recollection?
You are correct.

• Pearl vs. Georgetown
  • David Johnson vs. Georgetown (BE Tourney) … over Mourning. Wins BE Tourney while on NCAA probation
  • M.Lloyd at Providence
  • Moten vs. Villanova
  • G-Mac at Georgetown
  • Ennis at Pitt
  • Battle at Clemson
  • Gillon vs. Duke
  • Battle vs. Georgetown
The McRae shot against Villanova was in the same arena where the Duke/Kentucky game was played and mimicked EXACTLY the famous Laettner shot wth the same amount of time on the clock.It was uncanny. It didn’t get much attention because it wasn’t a tournament game. I just tried to find a YouTube of it but was unsuccessful. Conrad was stunned that he made the shot. It was a magical moment!

It seems to be a common mistaken belief that we won the Bet When we were on probation.
You are correct. My mistake. We did get to the finals the year we were on probation (1993), and still won 20 games.

Devendorf layup off GMac steal to beat Georgetown 2006 BET Semifinal.

Devendorf layup off GMac steal to beat Georgetown 2006 BET Semifinal.
Too much time...

From P-S:
In the semifinals against Georgetown, Syracuse trailed for the entire game. Matt Gorman stole the ball, got it to McNamara who dribbled upcourt before firing a left-handed pass to Eric Devendorf for the game-winning layup with 9.3 seconds left.

Thought I remembered the immortal Glenn Sekunda hitting a game winner vs Seton Hall at the Dome in 1992 but after some web sleuthing it was with about 30 seconds left.

How about a buzzer beater than extends the game. Wasn't a game winner but Cipolla's baseline jumper off the Wallace pass from midcourt to force OT in that 1996 NCAA Tournament game against Georgia was pretty sweet.

The McRae shot against Villanova was in the same arena where the Duke/Kentucky game was played and mimicked EXACTLY the famous Laettner shot wth the same amount of time on the clock.It was uncanny. It didn’t get much attention because it wasn’t a tournament game. I just tried to find a YouTube of it but was unsuccessful. Conrad was stunned that he made the shot. It was a magical moment!

I have literally never seen video footage of that McRae shot -- does it even exist? 5th grade me had Catholic religion class that evening in 1993 and I missed the game. (Thanks, Jesus)

I have literally never seen video footage of that McRae shot -- does it even exist? 5th grade me had Catholic religion class that evening in 1993 and I missed the game. (Thanks, Jesus)

I saw the highlight on SportsCenter the next morning and haven't seen it since

How about a buzzer beater than extends the game. Wasn't a game winner but Cipolla's baseline jumper off the Wallace pass from midcourt to force OT in that 1996 NCAA Tournament game against Georgia was pretty sweet.
As tough as that shot was, Wallace’s lob over the defense was even more difficult. It had to be perfectly launched.

I think Pearl hit the shot against Georgetown in '85 outside of 5 seconds.

wallace vs georgia is tops imo. i'd given up hope and then...BAM !

(technically not a "game winner" but damn. "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom