SU in the NFL draft | Syracusefan.com

SU in the NFL draft

SouthernCuse

Starter
Reading through one of my mock draft magazines (old habit in the electronic age I know) they have write-ups on 2 SU players, Hickey at #28 tackle - praise his mean streak, but think he will have to move inside or to RT in the NFL and Eskridge a suprisingly (to me) #4 overall safety - they loved his athletic package, size speed and ball skills. A couple questions

Are these our only 2 guys likely to get drafted? Did I slight someone?

Both write-ups said that our athletes need to get stronger. This could be particular to these two guys, not a large sample here. But has anyone noticed this kind of comment about SU athletes in the past few years? Just wondering if we do have a relative strength problem, or perhaps our strength program is fine, but our athletes are 3 star recruits, not 4 and 5 stars and do not have the same natural strength as other more gifted draftees.

Reading through one of my mock draft magazines (old habit in the electronic age I know) they have write-ups on 2 SU players, Hickey at #28 tackle - praise his mean streak, but think he will have to move inside or to RT in the NFL and Eskridge a suprisingly (to me) #4 overall safety - they loved his athletic package, size speed and ball skills. A couple questions

Are these our only 2 guys likely to get drafted? Did I slight someone?

Both write-ups said that our athletes need to get stronger. This could be particular to these two guys, not a large sample here. But has anyone noticed this kind of comment about SU athletes in the past few years? Just wondering if we do have a relative strength problem, or perhaps our strength program is fine, but our athletes are 3 star recruits, not 4 and 5 stars and do not have the same natural strength as other more gifted draftees.
Hickey had crazy bench press numbers. Not sure what the writer means, unless he is relying on some other metric.

Hickey is one of the strongest lineman in the draft. Sounds like the generic tag they give to young guys. I could understand that he may need to fill out more, but not actual strength.

I think Brandon Reddish, and DyShawn Davis have an outside chance on getting drafted, especially Reddish. Worst case they get picked up as FA's and will have a chance to earn a roster spot that way. I can't see anybody else with a realistic chance.

The late rounds are such a crap shoot, would not be surprised to see a couple more guys go in the 6th or the 7th.

Hickey had crazy bench press numbers. Not sure what the writer means, unless he is relying on some other metric.

You are right, it is more of a critique of his 'anchor' and ability to get movement on run blocks than it is a general strength critique. They put something negative and positive for everyone.

You are right, it is more of a critique of his 'anchor' and ability to get movement on run blocks than it is a general strength critique. They put something negative and positive for everyone.
hickey has been told that he needs to build up his lower body as well.

I wouldn't be shocked to see someone like West or Micah Robinson go late. I always thought reddish would get drafted late but that's doubtful.

If its a magazine it was probably written before the combine. Magazines like that are done months in advance and not up to date