SU item for charity - suggestions, please | Syracusefan.com

SU item for charity - suggestions, please

bballbeadle

Woman of a certain age
I have a friend who is doing a fundraiser in Sept. for the American Heart Association. They are having an auction and she needs to acquire something from the basketball program that people would bid for. She asked me for advice about specific players she should request to sign whatever item she chooses. In terms of the item, a basketball, Final Four t-shirt, or poster comes to mind. Anyone have any ideas about which item might be more valuable? How about names? I suggested the two seniors and C.J., but hell, a basketball signed by Jim Boeheim might raise more money.

I told her I would ask the board for thoughts, because I know darn well you have them. Thanks!

Unless you have a close connection, it's tough to be too picky about specific items or players when soliciting donations. Just write a letter (on letterhead, if possible) discussing the auction, where proceeds are going to and requesting what might be available, etc.

For this year's team:
JB, CJ, MCW, and Triche seem popular. No matter how much criticism any of them have received, these guys were all invaluable this year and I'm sure most fans would be very happy to have anything signed from them.
That said, it's hard not to root for Grant and Keita.
Throw in GMac too.

My honest opinion. I would want something signed by GMac, followed by CJ, followed by MCW, then Grant. (wow, that was really hard to pick favorites, as they're all still awesome in my eyes).

how about the final 4 poster from this year with all the players and ,coaches signing? Since this years run was so improbable and impressive it may get serious bidding

Don't approach individual players. Write a letter on the the organization's letterhead to the Basketball Office. They are very responsive. One suggestion: a photo signed by JB and Carmelo. Another suggestion: a signed GMac jersey. Other groups have gotten these items for charity auctions.

Got any interest in a basketball signed by a couple of great fans? Me and Jake. Heck, I can probably get SUTomcat too. We all sit together basically.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Got any interest in a basketball signed by a couple of great fans? Me and Jake. Heck, I can probably get SUTomcat too. We all sit together basically.

Ha ha ha! You're hilarious! The Three Stooges? The Three Musketeers? The Three Amigos?

All of your suggestions are good. She does plan to use letterhead and she knows she needs to be specific with her request. I never thought of anything with Carmelo. Also, didn't think of MCW being a lottery pick. Thanks, guys! If anyone else has something, bring it. I will see her tomorrow night when I meet with Scuba Divers Who Play Scrabble. Or Scrabblers Who Scuba. We can't decide.

I'll sign but only after Bees and Jake.

That makes me think it is probably time for the first Syracusefan.com poster. I am thinking something inspired by Sgt. Pepper.

Put cto in the gold Rita Hayworth gown. Tristan could be angry Sonny Liston. OE could be WC.

So many possibilities.

Trivia question: there is one person on the cover with a direct connection to SU. Who is it and what is the nature of the connection?

sgt_pepper_cover_2.jpg

That makes me think it is probably time for the first Syracusefan.com poster. I am thinking something inspired by Sgt. Pepper.

Put cto in the gold Rita Hayworth gown. Tristan could be angry Sonny Liston. OE could be WC.

So many possibilities.

Trivia question: there is one person on the cover with a direct connection to SU. Who is it and what is the nature of the connection?

sgt_pepper_cover_2.jpg
Don't know the answer but that picture reminds me of the Paul is dead thread.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

So many possibilities.

sgt_pepper_cover_2.jpg
Stephen Crane, writer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Syracuse_University_people#Notable_alumni
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_images_on_the_cover_of_Sgt._Pepper's_Lonely_Hearts_Club_Band

"stayed only one semester, later admitting he came 'more to play baseball than to study'."

Tee him up again! You got it Tee!!!
Ha, you should have seen me cross referencing both links.
When I finally got to it, I said to myself, why wasn't Crane towards the top to make my quest easier?
:)

When I finally got to it, I said to myself, why wasn't Crane towards the top to make my quest easier?
That's The Beatles for you, always going the extra yard to expose you to people and things you were not aware of. Well done.

Also, wanted to apologize to beadle for completely hijacking her thread, but a number of people had already provided solid advice to her, so I thought it would be okay to take the thread in an unexpected direction.

If Crane had stayed four years, he might have become a better writer and called it The Orange Badge of Courage.

Back to the topic of the thread:

Candlesticks always make a great gift. Maybe some place settings as well.

If Crane had stayed four years, he might have become a better writer and called it The Orange Badge of Courage.
One and done writers, now I have seen everything.

Does TomCat include free ginger ale tokens to Faegans?

That's The Beatles for you, always going the extra yard to expose you to people and things you were not aware of. Well done.

Also, wanted to apologize to beadle for completely hijacking her thread, but a number of people had already provided solid advice to her, so I thought it would be okay to take the thread in an unexpected direction.
Also, apologies for the hijack, but HUGE Beatles fan. Thank god for my folks and their love of Santana, Allman Brothers and the Fab Four, among other greats.

Does TomCat include free ginger ale tokens to Faegans?
For the proper cause. Needs to be a mission from Gawd...

Two more Beatles trivia questions just cause I happen to have the links handy.

lucy-in-the-sky1.jpg

What is this, who drew it and what is the significance of it in Beatles history?

being-for-the-benefit-of-mr-kite-letterpress-print-themethodcase-02.jpg

Similiar question. What is the significance of this in Beatles history?

Your time starts...now!

lucy-in-the-sky1.jpg

What is this, who drew it and what is the significance of it in Beatles history?

Your time starts...now!
Answer #1
Lucy in the Sky with diamonds was originally thought to be = LSD (still might be)
"But others say the song is inspired by a drawing John Lennon’s son Julian drew in nursery about a girl in his class named.. you guessed it, Lucy.. and she’s in the sky with diamonds."

http://sarcasteen.com/post/20123683713/a-girl-with-kaleidoscope-eyes

lucy-in-the-sky1.jpg

Your time starts...now!
Answer #2
"This is a reproduction of the poster that inspired John Lennon to write the song Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!"
http://www.themethodcase.com/being-for-the-benefit-of-mr-kite-letterpress-print/

I don't always cheat, but when I do, I use the internet. ;)