SU won the 2nd half | Syracusefan.com

SU won the 2nd half

Fjoinkay

Starter
20-14. SU played a great 3rd quarter on defense. The offense scored a TD on it's first drive of the 3rd quarter, but after that the offense failed to capitalize on the opportunities.

Of all the NW scores the 2 crushing TDs in my opinion were the TD at the end of the first half (after an SU INT) and the NW TD early in the 4th quarter. The TD early in the 4th was an example of being burned with pressure. NW's QBs are very quick and they were very prepared for SU's blitzing defense. On a lot of plays SU's defensive pressure was close, but the NW QBs were either able to run out of the pressure for big chunks or they had just enough time to hit an open receiver usually in the flat but sometimes down field. When NW scored the TD early in the 4th the defense had been playing very well. The defense became more aggressive, and on that play #21 jumped off sides. NW stayed put rather than snap the ball and take the 5 yard penalty against SU. #21 returned on sides and then he walked back towards his position, briefly showed blitz again, and then I think #3 or maybe another safety blitzed (difficult to tell watching the game in a bar) and #21 covered the receiver.. the receiver who ended up wide open for a TD.

In the 2nd quarter NW scored 24 points! SU had 2 INTS in the second quarter, and NW capitalized.

SU continued to play hard throughout this game. I see a lot of potential with this team. The growing pains right now must be very frustrating, but if they stick with it from the top on down they could end up with very satisfying results.

I've calmed down a bit from last night and am starting to think that NU's offense might be one of the best in the country. They're going to put up points on a lot of teams. The offense looked better but the picks and batted balls are unacceptable. Throwing into double coverage is unacceptable. And as rightly annoyed as we are, can't imagine how the team and staff feels.

Broadway shows typically have a week or so of previews before opening night just to iron out the vast number of kinks. Fitz has been doing a great job at NW for several years now. This NW team was probably primed to run by the second week of camp. The NW offense is experienced and finely tuned. SU was put in a hole at the beginning of the year. I like the no excuses approach. It's a process that takes time. Several players made plays yesterday on both sides of the ball. The next 2 games are an opportunity to even the score.

I've calmed down a bit from last night and am starting to think that NU's offense might be one of the best in the country. They're going to put up points on a lot of teams. The offense looked better but the picks and batted balls are unacceptable. Throwing into double coverage is unacceptable. And as rightly annoyed as we are, can't imagine how the team and staff feels.

Exactly. Only teams left that are at that level are Clemson and FSU. NW will compete for B1G, Rose Bowl.