Summer 2023 Soccer Transfer Window | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Summer 2023 Soccer Transfer Window

Milan says they will keep Leao on the left, use Pulisic at the 10 behind Giroud or Origi at the 9. Origi can also play from the right of an attack.
That would be interesting… one of pulisic’s areas of improvement is to stop just putting his head down and trying to dribble around an entire backline. I’m not sure he can pick a pass out well enough to play the 10 at that level. When he is on the wing he only needs to get by one man at a time and he’s pretty good at that.

That would be interesting… one of pulisic’s areas of improvement is to stop just putting his head down and trying to dribble around an entire backline. I’m not sure he can pick a pass out well enough to play the 10 at that level. When he is on the wing he only needs to get by one man at a time and he’s pretty good at that.

He had 36 assists over 5 seasons between Dortmund and his initial time at Chelsea, an average of around 7 assists per year. That would place him around 20th in either league on average. With most leagues only having 20 teams, that's a pretty good return.

If he plays 35+ games for Milan next year, I could see him getting 10-12 goals and about 6-8 assists. Most teams would kill to have a guy like Pulisic make 15-20 goal contributions in a Top 5 league.

How about an update on transfer news?

Bayern flew executives to London to meet with Daniel Levy to talk about a transfer for Harry Kane for around 100M. This might actually happen, in which case, Spurs would pivot and try to sign Vlahovic from Juve (who is getting close to a deal with PSG, himself ...).

Christian Pulisic finalizes his deal to AC Milan. Looks like a very good landing spot for him.

Surprisingly, something seems to be holding up the Arsenal announcement of acquiring Declan Rice from West Ham. Hope that doesn't fall apart at the finish line.

Daniel Amartey, a good young DM from Leicester seems close to signing with Besiktas in Turkey. Besiktas also making an offer for Rob Holding, the defender from Arsenal.

Leeds lost their best player, Rodrigo, to a team in Qatar. The Saudi league has made offers for Thiago Alcantera and Jordan Henderson, the 2 oldest guys in the Liverpool midfield. Henderson is close to a move, a bit surprisingly, but he sees the writing on the wall with all the young midfielders they are signing, and James Milner (a kindred spirit) having recently been allowed to leave Anfield. The Saudis have also made an offer to Fabinho, helping with the Liverpool make-over in midfield.

Luis Enrique, new coach at Paris St. Germain, is said to be considering moving on young Italian GK Gianluigi Donnarumma, and making a move for Kepa of Chelsea (who most fans would be happy to be rid of ...).

Kyle Walker, Man City right fullback, has been talking to Bayern Munich about a move, but it seems to have stalled, despite City only looking for 15-20M for him. Nobody has made a move for Joao Cancelo, yet, either, another City defender who has fallen out of favor with Pep.

Bernardo Silva of MC is also the subject of a 75M offer from the Saudis. Pep would really like to keep him, especially with Gundogan already having left. Riyhad Mahrez of City is ALSO the subject of a move from the Saudis. Geez, these guys must be colluding! PSG also placed a bid for Mahrez.

Sofyan Amrabat, the Morocco player who did so well at the World Cup, may be on the move from Fiorentina to Man. United. United is also closing in on the Inter GK Andre Onana, who Ten Haag coached previously at Ajax.

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic left Lazio for Saudi Arabia, too. Spurs interested in Chelsea's Connor Gallagher to join their midfield. They already have signed James Maddison from Leicester, while Harvey Barnes seems on the way to Newcastle to join Tonali in MF.

Real Madrid have picked up a talented young MF from Turkey named Arda Guler. He's kind of a deep lying play maker, but he can also make a tackle, and has very good dribble control. A friend of mine who is a big Real fan hopes he can be another Meszut Ozil. I don't think he has Ozil's speed on the counter, but he looks like a fine technical player.

Bayern flew executives to London to meet with Daniel Levy to talk about a transfer for Harry Kane for around 100M. This might actually happen, in which case, Spurs would pivot and try to sign Vlahovic from Juve (who is getting close to a deal with PSG, himself ...).

Christian Pulisic finalizes his deal to AC Milan. Looks like a very good landing spot for him.

Surprisingly, something seems to be holding up the Arsenal announcement of acquiring Declan Rice from West Ham. Hope that doesn't fall apart at the finish line.

Daniel Amartey, a good young DM from Leicester seems close to signing with Besiktas in Turkey. Besiktas also making an offer for Rob Holding, the defender from Arsenal.

Leeds lost their best player, Rodrigo, to a team in Qatar. The Saudi league has made offers for Thiago Alcantera and Jordan Henderson, the 2 oldest guys in the Liverpool midfield. Henderson is close to a move, a bit surprisingly, but he sees the writing on the wall with all the young midfielders they are signing, and James Milner (a kindred spirit) having recently been allowed to leave Anfield. The Saudis have also made an offer to Fabinho, helping with the Liverpool make-over in midfield.

Luis Enrique, new coach at Paris St. Germain, is said to be considering moving on young Italian GK Gianluigi Donnarumma, and making a move for Kepa of Chelsea (who most fans would be happy to be rid of ...).

Kyle Walker, Man City right fullback, has been talking to Bayern Munich about a move, but it seems to have stalled, despite City only looking for 15-20M for him. Nobody has made a move for Joao Cancelo, yet, either, another City defender who has fallen out of favor with Pep.

Bernardo Silva of MC is also the subject of a 75M offer from the Saudis. Pep would really like to keep him, especially with Gundogan already having left. Riyhad Mahrez of City is ALSO the subject of a move from the Saudis. Geez, these guys must be colluding! PSG also placed a bid for Mahrez.

Sofyan Amrabat, the Morocco player who did so well at the World Cup, may be on the move from Fiorentina to Man. United. United is also closing in on the Inter GK Andre Onana, who Ten Haag coached previously at Ajax.

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic left Lazio for Saudi Arabia, too. Spurs interested in Chelsea's Connor Gallagher to join their midfield. They already have signed James Maddison from Leicester, while Harvey Barnes seems on the way to Newcastle to join Tonali in MF.

Real Madrid have picked up a talented young MF from Turkey named Arda Guler. He's kind of a deep lying play maker, but he can also make a tackle, and has very good dribble control. A friend of mine who is a big Real fan hopes he can be another Meszut Ozil. I don't think he has Ozil's speed on the counter, but he looks like a fine technical player.
I think Silva would be a huge loss for MC. Not a natural winger but he gave teams fits down that right-hand side.

I don't get the love for Amrabat. I watch every Fiorentina game so saw him over 50 times this year. He is a pure mediano - more in the Gattuso mold than anything else. He is a really good #6 but, if I am Fiorentina, I sell him - especially if I can get 20-40MM.

Pulisic is now opposite Leao at Milan. They are going to be a handful for opposing teams. Hopefully, Pulisc can both be a regular starter and stay injury-free.

Real Madrids youth movements is incredible to see. Imagine if they get Mbappe next season.

He had 36 assists over 5 seasons between Dortmund and his initial time at Chelsea, an average of around 7 assists per year. That would place him around 20th in either league on average. With most leagues only having 20 teams, that's a pretty good return.

If he plays 35+ games for Milan next year, I could see him getting 10-12 goals and about 6-8 assists. Most teams would kill to have a guy like Pulisic make 15-20 goal contributions in a Top 5 league.
Yep, but n the last 2 years, I see a player at Chelsea who doesn‘t pass, doesn’t score… The Pulisic Chelsea paid 65mm pounds for is absolutely a Milan level player. Not sure which version of Pulisic they are getting now. Based on his performances with the US recently I suspect they are getting the 65mm man.

Charlie Stillitano is predicting the Saudi money train will accelerate a super league which they fund. It really is disgusting the way petro-dollars are ruining an entire sport. I know the money Hendo is being offered is insane but as a huge supporter of LGBTQ rights, I’m a bit surprised to see him go there. If Liverpool lose both Hendo and Fab they are out of the top 4 running this year unless Curtis Jones continues his form from last year and the u - 21 Euros or they can sign a proven six not a kid.

I think Silva would be a huge loss for MC. Not a natural winger but he gave teams fits down that right-hand side.

I don't get the love for Amrabat. I watch every Fiorentina game so saw him over 50 times this year. He is a pure mediano - more in the Gattuso mold than anything else. He is a really good #6 but, if I am Fiorentina, I sell him - especially if I can get 20-40MM.

Pulisic is now opposite Leao at Milan. They are going to be a handful for opposing teams. Hopefully, Pulisc can both be a regular starter and stay injury-free.

I agree on Bernardo Silva. I see him as a playmaker, plain and simple. It doesn't matter where he plays, they need someone other than DeBruyne who can also make that killer pass.

Amrabat strikes me as a similar kind of player to Arturo Vidal, although not as established, and maybe not quite as good.

Pulisic may also play the 10 for Milan, aside from the right wing. His playmaking is underrated. He used to play beautiful little chips for Olivier Giroud at Chelsea. I think the important part is that the Manager wants him there. That should hopefully get him a good run of games to establish himself in the first team.

Yep, but n the last 2 years, I see a player at Chelsea who doesn‘t pass, doesn’t score…

It's hard to do either from the bench.

Charlie Stillitano is predicting the Saudi money train will accelerate a super league which they fund. It really is disgusting the way petro-dollars are ruining an entire sport. I know the money Hendo is being offered is insane but as a huge supporter of LGBTQ rights, I’m a bit surprised to see him go there. If Liverpool lose both Hendo and Fab they are out of the top 4 running this year unless Curtis Jones continues his form from last year and the u - 21 Euros or they can sign a proven six not a kid.

European fans will not tolerate a Saudi creation of a Super League. Any US-style league that is not 100% based on merit is not going to be supported, and in fact will be actively and angrily protested against.

Players are moving for the money right now, and you can't blame them. But the Saudi league will not become a major league for a few reasons (just look at the China Super League ...) - the lifestyle is not for everyone, the heat is going to be unbearable, and they are not going to able to compete in the prestige competitions in Europe, which are universally viewed as best in the world.

Transfer Update - July 18

Pulisic finalizes move to AC Milan.
Declan Rice finalizes move to Arsenal, finally.

Juventus bid forced Inter Milan to up their bid for Romelu Lukaku - who then froze them out because he fears losing his starting job to young French CF Marcus Thuram. Inter cuts him loose, everyone hates him now, and even his management co. is about to cut him loose, new fee be damned.

Juve have 2 weeks to sell Vlahovic to finance the deal to buy Lukaku from Chelsea for 40M. (Chelsea only waiting until Aug 4), and it looks like PSG is very interested in Vlahovic, having already agreed personal terms.

Wesley Fofana of Chelsea blows out his ACL and is lost for the season. Clear path for Levi Colwill, whom Brighton and Liverpool have been chasing, to move into the first team, so hopefully he signs his extension and gets lots of minutes this year.

West Ham interested in Leon Goretzka of Bayern to anchor their midfield in place of Declan Rice. West Ham made an opening bid of 40M. Bayern wants 50M. Man United showing interest, seeing Goretzka as a replacement for either Fred or Scott MacTominay.

Bayern signed defender Kim Min-Jae from Napoli for 50M.

Jordi Alba and Sergio Busquets are joining Lionel Messi in Miami. Luis Suarez is also trying to make it work with Gremio, his boyhood team from Argentina. That would be something!

Brighton rejects 70M Chelsea bid for Moises Caicedo on the verge of their respective pre-season tours. This is taking far too long over a few million euros, when Chelsea already has over 200M in sales this window. Get it done and get him into the team to start building chemistry with Enzo Fernandez.

Newcastle bid 100M for Napoli's Kvaratskhelia. Wow, talk about a statement of intent! Big time move!

Marcus Rashford extends his contract for Man United.

Man United sign GK Andre Onana from Inter for around 50M, and sell Dean Henderson to Nottingham Forest, where he will rival Keylor Navas for the starting job.

West Ham interested in Harry McGuire. McGuire wants a more prestigious club but no one is lining up to sign him.

Free agent Johnny Evans (formerly of Leicester) re-signs with old club Manchester United.

Ashley Young moves from Aston Villa to Everton.

Willian re-signs with Fulham.

Defender Lucas Hernandez completed his move from Bayern to PSG.
Manuel Ugarte went from Sporting Lisbon to PSG, too.

Two and a half weeks since my last Transfer Update. Now, on August 9th, here is the latest news with 3 weeks left in the window (closes Sept 1 in most European leagues):

Matt Turner gets a move from Arsenal's bench to the starting lineup for relegation-challenged Nottingham Forest, the team who brought in 20 new players last year. Turner could make a name for himself with a good season.

Man. United's break room refrigerator, Harry McGuire, is sold to West Ham United for 30M. David Moyes can probably use him well; he seems like a Moyes kind of player. West Ham also has bid 35M for Scott McTominay. As much as people beat on those 2 players at Manchester United, they would both be quality signings for a team like the Hammers, and help replace Declan Rice for only about 2/3 of the money they got for him from Arsenal.

Franck Kessie, a former Ajax player, has left Barcelona for Saudi Arabia. Young, talented player. I'm a bit surprised, although Barca has been trying to dump players to free up money for new incomings.

Mickey Van de Ven, a defensive midfielder / center back, has been signed by Tottenham from Wolfsburg.

Tino Livramento, a young right back, was signed by Newcastle from Southampton.

Josko Gvardial, a Croatian centerback who played so well in the World Cup, has been signed by Manchester City from Leipzig. A world-class signing which indicates that Aymeric LePorte is probably on his way out. Quality defender with good passing skills. I expect a move to a good side shortly.

Manchester United get their new center forward - no, not Victor Ohsimen from Napoli - but Rasmus Hojland from Atalanta in Serie A for 75M. That's a lot to pay for an unproven guy who hasn't scored more than 9 goals in his 3 professional seasons to date.

It's looking to me like United has spent poorly, with Hojland and Mason Mount being their 2 big attacking additions for a total of 135M. I do like them signing Onana as their new goal keeper, though.

Chelsea picks up backup goal keeper Robert Sanchez from Brighton for 25M, after Brighton had rated him at 70M only 2 years ago before he fell out of favor under DeZerbi.

Late breaking rumor says Bayern are talking to Chelsea about buying Kepa Arrizabelaga, so Sanchez might not just have been bought as a back up.

Chelsea also sign a couple big muscular French defenders / defensive midfielders in Axel Disasi of Monaco and Lesley Oguchukwu from Rennes, and are still looking at Moises Caicedo from Brighton and Tyler Adams of Leeds to strengthen the midfield.

Bayern are back with a 110M offer for Harry Kane, who is in the last year of his contract, and who also happens to be 30 years old. I don't see Bayern offering more, if they can get him for free next year. It will be interesting to see if Daniel Levy takes the money.

Another talented young player, Ansu Fati, may be on the way out at Barca. He wants to stay, but they are pushing him to accept an offer from Saudi Arabia, too, just like Franck Kessie. Well, if you're going to be forced out, getting rich in the process isn't the worst thing, is it?

And of course, among the superstar ranks, Neymar is also trying to force his way out of Paris St. Germain, and not finding anyone interested in taking him! LOL. Might be on his way to MLS.

The big fish is Kylian Mbappe, who PSG has currently training with the B team. Real Madrid is expected to be his destination for free in a year.

Meanwhile, PSG are trying to sell him or even loan him to try to get some money before he also leaves for nothing. Chelsea and Liverpool are reportedly talking to PSG (Pochettino managed him at PSG, and Mbappe likes Poch), but it's hard to see someone committing serious money for a one year rental. They do that in baseball, not so much in world soccer.

Last edited:
Harry Kane to Bayern Munich for 110M. Levy takes the money. How will they invest it?

West Ham appears to have also added Scott McTominay from Man United and James Ward-Prowse, the free kick specialist, from Southampton. Very solid set of additions for David Moyes.

PSG clear-out continues, as Coach Luis Enrique tells Neymar, Marco Veratti, Renato Sanchez and Juan Bernat that they are not in his plans for this season, and they should find new clubs before the window closes in 3 weeks.

Last edited:
This battle between Chelsea and Liverpool for Lavia and Caicedo is insane. Liverpool agrees to a deal with Brighton overnight only for Caicedo to at the last second decide he only wants to play for Chelsea.

Looks like Liverpool will need to go back to Lavia and pay the insane price Southampton is asking.

spicier and spicier… apparently Caicedo’s agent is set to get a huge bonus if he ends up at Chelsea. And now for some good news… Adams to Chelsea off. Good move for him to be honest. That club is trash.

spicier and spicier… apparently Caicedo’s agent is set to get a huge bonus if he ends up at Chelsea. And now for some good news… Adams to Chelsea off. Good move for him to be honest. That club is trash.
Hoping Adams for Brighton move to replace Caicedo

Or Adams to Liverpool to fill the gaping hole for a 6 they have. Adams at 20something million is a better deal than Lavia at 50..
Agree on that for sure.

Hoping Adams for Brighton move to replace Caicedo

Adams to Bournemouth looks about to happen. Looks like a very good landing place for him. He would be an important player in the midfield, and statistically was one of the elite defensive midfielders of last season.

Shockingly, Chelsea have Caicedo (after his refusal to go to Liverpool) AND are about to sign Lavia, too. Southampton has accepted the bid, and Romeo is looking for an apartment in London tonight.

So, you have a midfield of Enzo the World Cup winner, Moises Caicedo (the next N'Golo Kante), Romeo Lavia and Andrey Santos, the young 6 from Brazil who played so well on the Summer American Tour, plus the big French kid Lesley Ugochukwu who they just signed when it looked like they might miss out on Moises.

That's like in the top 3 midfields in the world, and they're all between 19 and 24 years old. This teams is loaded now. They've cut about 15 guys from last year's squad, and because the new owner is so smart about amortization loopholes, they've signed all these guys to more long-term 8 year deals, and remain 65M within the FFP guidelines.

They will probably move on some young guys who they might have otherwise kept, like Lewis Hall (LB and MF), Marc Cucurella (everyone hopes ...), probably Connor Gallagher, who is down to about 6th choice in the current squad, Trevor Challobah - that could get them another 60M or more.

Neymar to Saudi Arabia.

Tottenham talking to Romelu Lukaku to gauge his interest in replacing Harry Kane at Spurs.

West Ham finalized James Ward-Prowse from Southampton. David Moyes appears to have won his stand-off with the sporting director, who didn't see the "moneyball" value in buying English players. Moyes, from his perspective, can't afford to gamble on guys who might not adapt to English football, and wants more of what he sees as a sure thing. I can see both sides.

Kepa curiously goes on loan (not sold) to Real Madrid to replace Thibout Courtois (another former Chelsea GK, of course) who blew out his ACL in preseason. Kepa on wages that were too high. I was never crazy about him, and am glad to see him go.

Jack Harrison, the promising young guy from Leeds, has landed at Everton, where they certainly need the help. They need goals, goals, goals, if they don't want to flirt with the drop again this year.

Ousmane Dembele goes from Barcelona (where he was beginning to blossom under Xavi last spring) to Paris St. Germain.

Kylian Mbappe is back training with the 1st team at PSG, by the way.

Man United has moved Fred out to Turkey. Mason Mount has started just horribly for them.

Adams to Bournemouth looks about to happen. Looks like a very good landing place for him. He would be an important player in the midfield, and statistically was one of the elite defensive midfielders of last season.
Huge fan of Philip Billing too so that's a nice midfielder to pair with Adams. Bournemouth are in a fight to stay up but I think they will. For me Luton and Sheffield are going right back down.

Or Adams to Liverpool to fill the gaping hole for a 6 they have. Adams at 20something million is a better deal than Lavia at 50..

He failed his Chelsea physical. The doctors said his hamstring could take 4 more months to heal.

Huge fan of Philip Billing too so that's a nice midfielder to pair with Adams. Bournemouth are in a fight to stay up but I think they will. For me Luton and Sheffield are going right back down.

Goal differential is the biggest predictor. I think Forest are going to have a hard time scoring goals.