Summer Hoops Portal Wish List | Syracusefan.com

Summer Hoops Portal Wish List

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Yes, this is pure speculation. No, I haven't researched who among these guys the coaches might have recruited in the past. This is just looking around at what kind of guys I'd like to be able to add this summer.

Let's break it down into 3 possible positions - True Center, Explosive Wing Scorer, Point Guard.

Explosive Wing - We need more 3 point shooting, and Bell's overall floor game isn't good enough for him to play 30 minutes, if we are to be a better team next year. So, here are some random guys who are interesting to consider.
  • Gabe Dorsey, William & Mary - 6-6, 215 SF, 13 pts, 3 reb, 38% from three, a Junior
  • Kobe Brea, Dayton, JR, 10 pts, 4 reb, 49% from three, 6-6, 205

Big Center, so Maliq can play half the game at PF next year:
  • Frank Mitchell, Canisius, 6-8, 240 Junior PF. 13.8 Pts and 11.3 rebounds per game, and shoots 57% from the floor.
  • Jonathan Beagle, Albany, 6-10, 240 Soph, 12.5 pts, 9.5 Reb, 58% from the floor.

Potential PG who can shoot the 3:
  • Kino Lilly, Brown, JR. 6-0 PG, 18 pts, 3 assist, 38% from three, double digit scorer for 3 years.
  • Erik Reynolds, 6-2, St. Joseph's JR, 16+ pts, 3 reb, 3 asst, 42% from 3. Not really a pure PG, but can create some assists, and has been a double digit scorer for 3 years.
These are experienced guys who have played a level or two below us, but have enough experience to maybe take the step up. I would rather take chances on guys with this kind of profile, than to take an injured or bench player on a good team, where it didn't work out for the player.

Last edited:
Gabe Dorsey, was overmatched his freshman year in a better conference while at Vandy. Maybe he has figured it out

How about just keeping Chris Bell? He’s one of the best shooters in the ACC right now.

Yes, he's on fire right now, but if we want to win, say 25 games and comfortably make the NCAAs next year, we can't have him play 30 minutes. The rest of his game is just not good enough.

Gabe Dorsey, was overmatched his freshman year in a better conference while at Vandy. Maybe he has figured it out

Or maybe he's learned to play better.

In terms of bringing in a wing… if Daniels from UNH has another year of eligibility that would be my pick.

It looks like he was a JUCO, so he might not have that 5th year left.

It looks like he was a JUCO, so he might not have that 5th year left.

That was my expectation. Agree with 0307 though in terms of priorities for guys returning

Yes, he's on fire right now, but if we want to win, say 25 games and comfortably make the NCAAs next year, we can't have him play 30 minutes. The rest of his game is just not good enough.

The struggles of Taylor, Bennys issues and Judah having no outside shot have dictated a lot of that too. 25 mins where he plays both ends with clear improvement would be a big piece for next year when we need to make a real splash.

Donnie, Bell, Q , JJ, Judah?, Moore, Brown, Westry is a strong 8 then need 2 to 3 more guys who can really contribute at the 5, 4 and 1 depending on Westrys health

Bell averages 26 mpg now. On a team that struggles to shoot there's no way we should be hoping he portals. We have a shooting guard playing 35 mpg that has given the team less than Bell this year.

The struggles of Taylor, Bennys issues and Judah having no outside shot have dictated a lot of that too. 25 mins where he plays both ends with clear improvement would be a big piece for next year when we need to make a real splash.

Donnie, Bell, Q , JJ, Judah?, Moore, Brown, Westry is a strong 8 then need 2 to 3 more guys who can really contribute at the 5, 4 and 1 depending on Westrys health

That's the thing that's a killer. In the first half on Saturday, there was an 8 or 9 minute stretch where we had JJ, Judah, Cope, Maliq and Bell. They were hustling and disruptive on defense, were moving the ball for the open shot, we were getting out in transition, and I finally felt like "THIS is our team". This is who we want to be.

But even in that stretch, that's not enough to win a 40 minute game, because we don't have a legit big man who can contribute and not just take up space. Judah, to me, is still the worst defender on the team, with Bell next and then JJ.

The big questions for next year that are big for the portal are Taylor , Judah , Westry and the bigs. Also how do the personalities mesh?

How about just keeping Chris Bell? He’s one of the best shooters in the ACC right now.
Chris is gradually improving other aspects of his game.

Lately he is averaging 3 to 4 boards a game. He cant drive all the way to the rack, but he can drive two or three steps and hit the pullup J.

He seems to be working harder on D. Red is getting through to him.

If he can improve his handle in the off-season he can make a jump.

Chris is gradually improving other aspects of his game.

Lately he is averaging 3 to 4 boards a game. He cant drive all the way to the rack, but he can drive two or three steps and hit the pullup J.

He seems to be working harder on D. Red is getting through to him.

If he can improve his handle in the off-season he can make a jump.

Yes, I'm starting to come around on him as to the other aspects of his game. I just wish he wasn't so emotional during games. The coaches had to talk to him on the sideline again last game.

The big questions for next year that are big for the portal are Taylor , Judah , Westry and the bigs. Also how do the personalities mesh?

I could do a reset on all the guys you listed.

I think Taylor may be back. It's clear Red likes him. Obviously Westry isn't going anywhere. I am not counting Judah or Hima back at all. Carey and McLeod likely return.

Bell averages 26 mpg now. On a team that struggles to shoot there's no way we should be hoping he portals. We have a shooting guard playing 35 mpg that has given the team less than Bell this year.

Yes, Bell can shoot when he's open, and he's getting better at creating his own shot. Definite improvements. No, I don't want to see him go, but on a really good team, he's not a starter; he's the instant offense guy off the bench. I don't think he would accept that. He's a crybaby.

I think Taylor may be back. It's clear Red likes him. Obviously Westry isn't going anywhere. I am not counting Judah or Hima back at all. Carey and McLeod likely return.

Taylor is probably a good guy to have at practice. He has a definite work ethic and some toughness. He shouldn't be starting, though, and that's been clear since December.

Taylor is probably a good guy to have at practice. He has a definite work ethic and some toughness. He shouldn't be starting, though, and that's been clear since December.
He's not playing starter minutes now. He just starts the game. He's averaging 19mpg in conference play. Freeman will start there next year.

As I just posted elsewhere. I expect the entire roster to return minus Hima due to medical and one of Taylor or Judah. The staff is doing a great job. The players are all improving or have potential. It's really just the fans and NET holding this team back from taking over the ACC. Top-25 next season easy.

Westry coming back plus running it back minus Hima isn’t the worst thing at all with the two frosh. Big thing is if Westry ends up never playing college ball due to injury and Judah doesn’t return it leaves a massive hole we have to address in portal but timing of all of it makes it tough

As I just posted elsewhere. I expect the entire roster to return minus Hima due to medical and one of Taylor or Judah. The staff is doing a great job. The players are all improving or have potential. It's really just the fans and NET holding this team back from taking over the ACC. Top-25 next season easy.
The fans are holding this team back?

Not the worst D we've played in decades?
Not the dead last in the ACC rebounding margin?
Not the lack of outside shooting?
Not the lack of a playable C, despite spending 4 scholarships on the position?

But the fans!?!?!

The fans are holding this team back?

Not the worst D we've played in decades?
Not the dead last in the ACC rebounding margin?
Not the lack of outside shooting?
Not the lack of a playable C, despite spending 4 scholarships on the position?

But the fans!?!?!

Not ten f&&@&$! Wins!

That’s not even considering intangibles like leadership, unselfishness, team player etc. where he scores abysmally low.

My spider senses are tingling . . . . . . . . . is there some sarcasm in there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom