SUNY Cortland - Final Four | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

SUNY Cortland - Final Four

NC had 404 yards rushing but The Dragons roared for 349 yards passing.

Zac Boyes 26/34 349 yards 5TDs 0 int. Also 123 yards on 16 carries. That's 472 yards!

North central coach was a douche at the end
Looked like an a hole from the start. Not a fan. Not sure what they do at NC Central but they have a very successful D3 football program. This guy worked his way up since he graduated 20 years ago.

D3 recruiting is mind blowing to me. I'd love a coach or former coach on here to explain how it happens and how it works to me if they wouldn't mind.

D3 recruiting is mind blowing to me. I'd love a coach or former coach on here to explain how it happens and how it works to me if they wouldn't mind.
All in state kids, especially at Cortland. Academic aid is all you can offer. Some schools circumvent with leadership scholarships, but tougher to do at state schools.

A lot of working networks. The kids being recruited at the highest D3 level are borderline D1 guys. Cortland MSOC and a lot of Olympic sports have D1 transfers. In fact, MSOC has had a couple SU transfers recently. They’ve been national title worthy lately. Even D3 basketball has D2 and sometimes D1 transfers.

D3 athletes are still really good. Just a couple inches shorter, a few pounds lighter, and a couple steps slower.

Until the portal and NIL era It was exactly the same as any other level in terms of what they all go through with coaching visits/calls, visits to the campuses, get wined and dined etc., just no formal athletic “scholarships”.

That said, I can tell you from firsthand experience if they want you bad enough they get you money in other ways (“jobs”, other scholarships money’s and grants that miraculously come in to play). Lol.

Last edited:
Who was the coach referring to at the beginning of his interview when he said they don’t believe it either or something like that? Referring to NC Cent?

Who was the coach referring to at the beginning of his interview when he said they don’t believe it either or something like that? Referring to NC Cent?
Yeah, caught that too, got to assume the other team was a bunch of verbal idiots at many points during the game if he said something like that

All in state kids, especially at Cortland. Academic aid is all you can offer. Some schools circumvent with leadership scholarships, but tougher to do at state schools.

A lot of working networks. The kids being recruited at the highest D3 level are borderline D1 guys. Cortland MSOC and a lot of Olympic sports have D1 transfers. In fact, MSOC has had a couple SU transfers recently. They’ve been national title worthy lately. Even D3 basketball has D2 and sometimes D1 transfers.

D3 athletes are still really good. Just a couple inches shorter, a few pounds lighter, and a couple steps slower.
This is spot on. Today in particular, not so much back then back in the day when many kids flew under the radar which I know firsthand. The borderline division one part is also spot on at least initially in the evaluation process.

But then often as The years go on Kids can evolve grow and become Division I players, and they will get noticed, and probably move up in this day and age.

Not so much back then back in the day, kids stuck around staying with the programs with many more kids from Div 3 back then having a shot or making it to the pros.

As somebody who was looked at and recruited by all the big boys, but never offered except to come out as a walk on, offered by FCS schools, etc., I saw it firsthand, but then by jr year was labeled the “division I kid playing division III”, it was pretty common as I wasn’t the only one, and as a result the level of play at the Division III level back then was much higher.

Now, if you show that kind of ability, youre mostly likely moving up.

Last edited: