Super Bowl LVII Thread... | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Super Bowl LVII Thread...

That "waddle over here" line was so stupid and unprofessional.
I agree. 'Waddle'. Just terrible.

It was preceded as well by Bradshaw just talking too much, making it about him, and not letting Andys natural reaction in the moment lead the way.

I really don't get all the whining in this thread (and it's not confined to this game, or this board for that matter) that essentially say, "You can't make that call in that spot!"

In my eyes, it's either a penalty, or it's not. Minute 1 or minute 59. Make the call, or don't. But the timing of the call shouldn't make a bit of difference. If a rule was broken, it should be called. When it was broken shouldn't make a bit of difference. Just MO.

That sounds great but to state the obvious, most penalties are not that black&white which is why holding isn't reviewable in the first place.

I really don't get all the whining in this thread (and it's not confined to this game, or this board for that matter) that essentially say, "You can't make that call in that spot!"

In my eyes, it's either a penalty, or it's not. Minute 1 or minute 59. Make the call, or don't. But the timing of the call shouldn't make a bit of difference. If a rule was broken, it should be called. When it was broken shouldn't make a bit of difference. Just MO.
agreed! Defense doesn’t get a license to hold WRs on big plays just because casuals want the most exciting finish possible.

In my eyes the issue is that, if such plays are not flagged earlier in the game, then DBs perhaps assume that such contact will be allowed. I believe it was Schuster Smith who was held in the middle of the field (on a pass thrown to him) on an earlier 3rd down play - no flag was thrown, and to me, that hold looked far worse than this one did.

Just be consistent. Shouldn't be that hard.

https://twitter.com/_MLFootball/status/1625137219936694272?s=20&t=u3Zp2acPo9CxbITLmdDWzg

https://twitter.com/JakeLeei/status/1624971581599653889?s=20&t=u3Zp2acPo9CxbITLmdDWzg

Also, incredible that the KC OL did not hold the opposing DL a single time in the playoffs!

I am not an Eagles fan and I do not gamble on the NFL so I have no real stake in this game other than as a fan of football.

I would just like consistency. If that play is a penalty then call it all game. That is all I ask.
Honest question: are there clips out yet of other defensive holding penalties that went uncalled last night? The only one that really sticks out to me is what should have been pass interference against Philly when they wrapped Juju up on a 3rd down in the first half. I don’t really recall seeing anything egregious but I’m also just not really someone that looks for stuff like that.

I don't think that would be the case. FOX (who was bad with replays the whole night), never showed the jersey tug. Nor did they mention it. So would any of us even know about it?
I kinda agree though I did see this one immediately, mainly because I was watching Juju the whole way since he seemed to be running the same route that had fooled Philly the previous two drives.

I think you’re mostly right though that Olsen wouldn’t have mentioned it at all and they likely wouldn’t have shown any replays of it if it went uncalled.

It’s destroyed what used to be a tense situation IMO. It’s physically impossible for 1 or 2 defensive linemen to win a battle with 7+ people directly pushing them. It’s just stupid.
But why doesn’t every team just do it?

In my eyes the issue is that, if such plays are not flagged earlier in the game, then DBs perhaps assume that such contact will be allowed. I believe it was Schuster Smith who was held in the middle of the field (on a pass thrown to him) on an earlier 3rd down play - no flag was thrown, and to me, that hold looked far worse than this one did.

https://twitter.com/_MLFootball/status/1625137219936694272?s=20&t=u3Zp2acPo9CxbITLmdDWzg

https://twitter.com/JakeLeei/status/1624971581599653889?s=20&t=u3Zp2acPo9CxbITLmdDWzg

Also, incredible that the KC OL did not hold the opposing DL a single time in the playoffs!

There was nothing similar about those two. A jersey pull if seen is called 100% of the time. An arm tug or wrap around is hit or miss.

Afraid their QBs couldn’t handle it the same way Hurts can?
Correct.

So you want to penalize Hurts and the Eagles for Hurts being strong?

Sure seems like an outlaw the slam dunk type of take

It’s destroyed what used to be a tense situation IMO. It’s physically impossible for 1 or 2 defensive linemen to win a battle with 7+ people directly pushing them. It’s just stupid.

If a block in the back is illegal because of the risk of injury, why isn't a push from behind illegal for the same reason?

But why doesn’t every team just do it?
Because coaches aren’t always smart, like the Eagles not doing it at the end of the game when they could have easily picked up the first down and potentially won. It’s literally around a 90% success rate vs traditional plays being closer to 50-60%.

I thought the Eagles were getting the benefit of the refs most of the game. That last call isn't "contact" but tugging of the jersey. Those are 2 separate things. If it were just contact, then yes that is a BS call in that spot. But tugging of the jersey is an auto flag for these refs. If they see it, flag EVERY time.

I'm not sure he ever got a hold of anything. His hands are already free as the receiver is pulling away. It was more of a failed attempt to hold the receiver, who ran his route basically unimpeded.

I just watched it again, the WR doesn't seem to break stride and the ball fwiw looked uncatchable (is that still a call?).

Anyway I don't know anything, I thought the ball was a catch on the fumble TD called back, apparently you have to run a lot now for it to be a catch...

If a block in the back is illegal because of the risk of injury, why isn't a push from behind illegal for the same reason?
Lines do this will ball carriers all the time. If you're going to outlaw the push from the back on the QB sneak I don't see how you can't outlaw it on every other play.

I just watched it again, the WR doesn't seem to break stride and the ball fwiw looked uncatchable (is that still a call?).

Anyway I don't know anything, I thought the ball was a catch on the fumble TD called back, apparently you have to run a lot now for it to be a catch...
Only uncatchable on PI. This was holding so it does not matter.

You can't have a thread on this board without some whining!

OIP.NqXysunq4u6i7ITfX2-70wAAAA

This only matters in pass interference, not defensive holding (since holding occurs before the ball is even thrown).

Lines do this will ball carriers all the time. If you're going to outlaw the push from the back on the QB sneak I don't see how you can't outlaw it on every other play.
They could easily do it by saying it’s only a penalty on direct snaps or whatever rather than in the open field but I agree that logically, it kinda makes sense that if you’re saying it’s illegal to push a QB from behind, it should be illegal to push others from behind as well.

one of those dumb rules they allow.. it didnt used to be legal.

I mean look at all the times the Defense is trying to handle a guy and a oline guy comes in at 100mph from behind and blows up the pile. but the D did that it would be penalty.

Two guys got held on the second one and the primary receiver fell down!

Because one is expected and the other is not would be my guess.

Correct.

So you want to penalize Hurts and the Eagles for Hurts being strong?

Sure seems like an outlaw the slam dunk type of take
I’m thinking it’s more about let’s stop this BEFORE someone gets seriously hurt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom