Support the team | Syracusefan.com

Support the team

CaliBob'63

Walk On
Real fans should do everything they can to support the team, players especially. This year was predicted to be a transitional year, with a losing record. Unfortunately, the predictions are coming true. But they still will likely have at least one more win than last year, and be positioned with a lot of promising young players(shaffer recruits) with experience next year. Further, they came very close to winning 2 more ACC games, which I witnessed and enjoyed.

Yes, I am disappointed that the progress is not better, but I am even more disappointed in the destructive fan reactions I am reading in this forum. If you are not out there for the last 2 home games...cheering and encouraging the players, then you do not have the best interests of SU football at heart, and should not consider yourself a fan, but just a critic, and a negative rather than positive influence on our football future.

Very sensible. And, yet, frustrated ventings (rarely helpful) are par for the course. Similar at the beginning of Mac's era, the end off the Pasqualoni era, most of GROB's 3rd and 4th years, Marrone's losing streak at the end of 2011, after lopsided losses in 2013.

Why should people be chastised for not wanting to spend time and money on something that isn't enjoyable?

I wish I could be a more casual fan. The huge swaths of our fan base that spends fall saturdays doing more productive and fun things than watching SU football are the smart ones.

Real fans should do everything they can to support the team, players especially. This year was predicted to be a transitional year, with a losing record. Unfortunately, the predictions are coming true. But they still will likely have at least one more win than last year, and be positioned with a lot of promising young players(shaffer recruits) with experience next year. Further, they came very close to winning 2 more ACC games, which I witnessed and enjoyed.

Yes, I am disappointed that the progress is not better, but I am even more disappointed in the destructive fan reactions I am reading in this forum. If you are not out there for the last 2 home games...cheering and encouraging the players, then you do not have the best interests of SU football at heart, and should not consider yourself a fan, but just a critic, and a negative rather than positive influence on our football future.

I will always cheer for the players and the SU brand but I cannot in good faith support one more year of HCSS.

How can we make that distinction since you make it sound like it's all or nothing?

Why should people be chastised for not wanting to spend time and money on something that isn't enjoyable?

I wish I could be a more casual fan. The huge swaths of our fan base that spends fall saturdays doing more productive and fun things than watching SU football are the smart ones.
I should have been more specific...I was really referencing the vocal few who blast away at SU football, but profess to be fans by staying away.

When you have an obsession, it's impossible to stop caring and supporting. I will be there Sat cheering my ass off even though we are going to get crushed.

I just cannot wait until we start winning again, makes it that much sweeter.

If the fans stay away - the Administration is forced to make changes - to bring the fans back. If everyone shows up, happy as clams, nothing is likely to happen. Pressure builds change. Without pressure, mediocrity (or worse) prevails. Simple human psychology.

Fans want what is best for the program.

When it becomes obvious that the continued employment of the current head coach is not in the best interest of the program, fans are going to say so.

That doesn't mean they're not real fans. Just fans who still care enough to express their dissatisfaction. Which is better for the program than apathy.

Fans want what is best for the program.

When it becomes obvious that the continued employment of the current head coach is not in the best interest of the program, fans are going to say so.

That doesn't mean they're not real fans. Just fans who still care enough to express their dissatisfaction. Which is better for the program than apathy.

I think the anger on the board shows how much people care. I hate when someone tries to police fandom. I've seen it with the snarky "100 fire shafer posts" messages. I mean during the fourth quarter when i checked out and raked leaves in honor of Buzz Shaw, i had a feeling of relief b/c I finally let go of the season. I hate when that happens b/c a part of my fandom is put back in the closet until next September.

We need to continue caring and posting about if Shafer is the right guy or not. It means we all care. Don't tell me why i'm wrong about it or not. I came to this board (or a version of it) in 2003 when the Coach P Must Go campaign was alive and the ACC news was just starting up. I felt alive meeting other like minded Syracuse football freaks like myself since i wasn't in Syracuse anymore.

If the fans stay away - the Administration is forced to make changes - to bring the fans back. If everyone shows up, happy as clams, nothing is likely to happen. Pressure builds change. Without pressure, mediocrity (or worse) prevails. Simple human psychology.
Fans don't stay away! The general public and band-wagon folk might but not fans.

I think the anger on the board shows how much people care. I hate when someone tries to police fandom. I've seen it with the snarky "100 fire shafer posts" messages. I mean during the fourth quarter when i checked out and raked leaves in honor of Buzz Shaw, i had a feeling of relief b/c I finally let go of the season.
You stopped watching the game because of what Buzz Shaw said in 1999? Pathetic.

I think the anger on the board shows how much people care. I hate when someone tries to police fandom. I've seen it with the snarky "100 fire shafer posts" messages. I mean during the fourth quarter when i checked out and raked leaves in honor of Buzz Shaw, i had a feeling of relief b/c I finally let go of the season. I hate when that happens b/c a part of my fandom is put back in the closet until next September.

We need to continue caring and posting about if Shafer is the right guy or not. It means we all care. Don't tell me why i'm wrong about it or not. I came to this board (or a version of it) in 2003 when the Coach P Must Go campaign was alive and the ACC news was just starting up. I felt alive meeting other like minded Syracuse football freaks like myself since i wasn't in Syracuse anymore.
Good post...but consider what the impression will be on TV when more aluminum is visible and the enthusiasm is diminished...on prospective recruits and the current players AND potentially the game outcome. That's the negative I'm concerned about.

CaliBob'63 said:
Good post...but consider what the impression will be on TV when more aluminum is visible and the enthusiasm is diminished...on prospective recruits and the current players AND potentially the game outcome. That's the negative I'm concerned about.

It's going to be very hard to turn this around if people don't support the program.

Recruits see it, prospective coaches see it.

So don't complain if you don't support the program. It's like people who don't vote. If you don't, you don't deserve a voice.

It's going to be very hard to turn this around if people don't support the program.

So don't complain if you don't support the program. It's like people who don't vote. If you don't, you don't deserve a voice.

I wish this was like voting! Who are my other choices?

This is more like "Support Obama/Bush or you hate America"

We've proven as a fan base that we don't come to support when we're irrelevant. It's unfortunate we don't have better fan support but thats not going to change no matter how many posts pleading or admonishing fans for not coming. We need to deal with reality and reality is we suck yet again and a change needs to be made to let the fans know the school is trying its best to produce a winner.

That is the only effective strategy to get butts in seats.

I love and am thankful for the fans who go to every home game and support our players. We need more of you and the only way to make that happen is to start winning some games.

You stopped watching the game because of what Buzz Shaw said in 1999? Pathetic.

I did go outside to rake leaves. I would say it was my wife who told me to do it but it sounds more "internet funny guy" to say it was Buzz Shaw.

You should probably avoid looking at the attendance figures on Saturday because its going be UGLY. Interest and fan support have absolutely cratered with the latest losing streak. If Coyle was to somehow bring Shafer back I shudder to think what attendance will look like next year because interest outside of the diehards is absolutely dead.

Yeah but end of day we're fans and we're not beholden to the product if the product stinks.

Yeah but end of day we're fans and we're not beholden to the product if the product stinks.
Sometimes being a fan is like being a parent and the team is like a kid who just screwed up.

Sometimes being a fan is like being a parent and the team is like a kid who just screwed up.

So send your kid out to rake the leaves while you do something more enjoyable? Like drink a 12 pack and watch other college football games?

I think your metaphor is perfect. I shall execute it this weekend.

Kinda Bs, everyone here wants to see Syracuse succeed. We all want to see the players succeed. We all want to see the staff succeed.
But unfortunately it isn't happening, so until changes are made and the team gains positive news from games. A lot of people are gonna stay away, and YOU can't blame them what what has happened the past 15 years.

Id love to be going to these games, but financially I can't, though I start a new job at end of the month, so hopefully I can put forth some time and money into the football team, and basketball team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom