Syracuse AD John Wildhack says SU sticking with Jim Boeheim's retirement plan | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse AD John Wildhack says SU sticking with Jim Boeheim's retirement plan

Revisionist history. Bobby Bowden's last 5 years yielded a 38-27 overall record (before wins were vacated), and in his last 4 years, he was 10-16 vs. the ACC. He clearly hung on too long, and they were not still clearly better than the rest of the ACC at that point.

Regardless of whether or not we need to move on, I don't think this is Bowden.

At the end Bowden was just a figurehead used to close recruiting battles. He stood on the sideline, looked like he was always peeing his pants. Didn't wear headphones. But it impacted the team because someone has to be in charge.

JB isn't anywhere near that level, and let's hope he never gets there.

It has created huge uncertainty. I don't think the sanctions hurt as Boeheim can play with 7 guys.

7 guys he planned to play.

I find it very hard to believe that SU would run off James Arthur Boeheim whose name is on the court and who is the most successful coach in the history of the university. In addition and no doubt more importantly, he has left an even greater stamp on the community.

Yeah... This thread makes no sense to me unless I have missed some news? If he chose to stick around for another year or two after 2018, the only thing he would need to do is apologize to Hopkins IMO. They would never say NO to the man responsible for creating our program. The amount of value his name and appearances deliver for the university is not easily understood by many.

They certainly are not in a hurry for him to hand the reigns over to an unproven commodity while losing THE FACE of the university.

That being said these Marxist Communists who run most universities including SU, are not known for making wise decisions.

Yeah... This thread makes no sense to me unless I have missed some news? If he chose to stick around for another year or two after 2018, the only thing he would need to do is apologize to Hopkins IMO. They would never say NO to the man responsible for creating our program. The amount of value his name and appearances deliver for the university is not easily understood by many.

They certainly are not in a hurry for him to hand the reigns over to an unproven commodity while losing THE FACE of the university.

That being said these Marxist Communists who run most universities including SU, are not known for making wise decisions.
56601970.jpg

th

Maybe JB needs the money. You never know what outside influences impact these kind of situations - lifestyle, medical expenses, etc.

Maybe Not! JAB does not "need the money", He has more than plenty!

If JB wants to stay and Hopkins is owed more money then just pay them both or risk losing the already complacent fans. If these bean-counters have the power to push JB off the hill, then the already financially raped locals will just stay home. The loyalty of JAB and Hopkins better be respected and rewarded!

The gouging that is already occurring inside the Carrier Dome will not stand the test of time; it's already out of control and by forcing the legend out of the building it will likely be the last straw for most working class locals.

Why on earth would this even be a consideration? How does Wildhack's comment equate to "We will not fire JB at the end of this season"

He said he plans to honor the deal, which IMO simply means that they will allow JB to choose his successor and that man was already chosen with Michael Hopkins! I don't follow the local news too closely but I suppose this is just another example of people err liberals creating a false narrative from thin air?
"The deal" is that JB would coach through the '17-'18 season.

There was speculation at the time the announcement was made that it may have been related to whatever deal the NCAA made with SU (if there was one).

There was speculation at the time the announcement was made that it may have been related to whatever deal the NCAA made with SU (if there was one).
My recollection as well.

Other than speculation is there anything else public regarding "The Deal"?

Maybe Not! JAB does not "need the money", He has more than plenty!

If JB wants to stay and Hopkins is owed more money then just pay them both or risk losing the already complacent fans. If these bean-counters have the power to push JB off the hill, then the already financially raped locals will just stay home. The loyalty of JAB and Hopkins better be respected and rewarded!

The gouging that is already occurring inside the Carrier Dome will not stand the test of time; it's already out of control and by forcing the legend out of the building it will likely be the last straw for most working class locals.
not saying he does or doesn't. I am saying I and 99% of this board don't know anything about his finances, how he lives, or what goes on in his world outside of Szu basketball. Think 70 somethings like Calhoun and Knight go into broadcasting right after they retire for free? Because they love the game?

not saying he does or doesn't. I am saying I and 99% of this board don't know anything about his finances, how he lives, or what goes on in his world outside of Szu basketball. Think 70 somethings like Calhoun and Knight go into broadcasting right after they retire for free? Because they love the game?

Love the game.

They would love to still be coaching if it weren't for serious health issues.

At the time of the "the deal" there was a lot of speculation of coach Hop leaving. I think the contract coach Hop signed is pretty solid. I just can't imagine he's not head coach 2017-18 season. I imagine there is some kind of buy-out clause but it's probably in the millions to dissuade the University from going back on its word. I would be very surprised if we do not see coach Hop as head coach 2018-19 season.

The sooner coach Hop can show he can be successful running the team the sooner our recruiting improves. Right now there's just too many unknowns. We have a two good 2017-18 recruits (four year guys). The stupid scholarship limit is painful. I wish we had one or two more four year guys in the pipeline to carry us through the next few years. We will need Chukwu and Howard to become bigger parts of next year's teams. Maybe we will get 1 or 2 more grad transfers.

Every time I think the situation is dire somehow a miracle happens. If JB somehow wins a NC this year or next I will claim that it is evidence for the existence of God.

At the time of the "the deal" there was a lot of speculation of coach Hop leaving. I think the contract coach Hop signed is pretty solid. I just can't imagine he's not head coach 2017-18 season. I imagine there is some kind of buy-out clause but it's probably in the millions to dissuade the University from going back on its word. I would be very surprised if we do not see coach Hop as head coach 2018-19 season.

The sooner coach Hop can show he can be successful running the team the sooner our recruiting improves. Right now there's just too many unknowns. We have a two good 2017-18 recruits (four year guys). The stupid scholarship limit is painful. I wish we had one or two more four year guys in the pipeline to carry us through the next few years. We will need Chukwu and Howard to become bigger parts of next year's teams. Maybe we will get 1 or 2 more grad transfers.

Every time I think the situation is dire somehow a miracle happens. If JB somehow wins a NC this year or next I will claim that it is evidence for the existence of God.
"The Deal" has a life of its own. It sounds like this to me. "Jim, your in your 60's now and you have to start thinking of wrapping things up, in 5 years your going to be in your 70's, that's old Jim". Well, now he is 72, chronologically, and he may be thinking, "I don't feel a day past 60".

"The Deal" has a life of its own. It sounds like this to me. "Jim, your in your 60's now and you have to start thinking of wrapping things up, in 5 years your going to be in your 70's, that's old Jim". Well, now he is 72, chronologically, and he may be thinking, "I don't feel a day past 60".

Yeah, I don't think the issue is on the JB side. I think the part of the contract giving millions to coach Hop if University backs out is going to be the problem. If JB continues it will delay the inevitable and recruiting is already suffering. If we landed Green and there was chance to make serious run at a NC within 1 or 2 years I could see a justification for an extension. But without a five-star guard coming in I don't think we have chance to make serious run for NC. I just can't see the inevitable being delayed. I would love to see JB coach for another 8 years. I just think it's very unlikely.

Yeah, I don't think the issue is on the JB side. I think the part of the contract giving millions to coach Hop if University backs out is going to be the problem. If JB continues it will delay the inevitable and recruiting is already suffering. If we landed Green and there was chance to make serious run at a NC within 1 or 2 years I could see a justification for an extension. But without a five-star guard coming in I don't think we have chance to make serious run for NC. I just can't see the inevitable being delayed. I would love to see JB coach for another 8 years. I just think it's very unlikely.
How is it going to be for him being out of coaching the first year? What if can't deal with it. What then? Everybody is concerned with other issues, nobody is concerned with Jim.

How is it going to be for him being out of coaching the first year? What if can't deal with it. What then? Everybody is concerned with other issues, nobody is concerned with Jim.

My father used to say to me, "Dont' get old." I didn't listen.

My father used to say to me, "Dont' get old." I didn't listen.

Getting older is much better than the alternative. ;)

I'm not sure the university should factor in whether JB can find enough golf, fishing and books to read to keep him occupied . I know you like to just throw stuff out there, but this one cracked me up

Other than speculation is there anything else public regarding "The Deal"?

I'd like to see some of the board elders opinions on this. Sounds like a silly conspiracy theory to me, the fact is... if you believe SU used JB's tenure as part of an NCAA sanctions negotiation process I personally believe your head is full of river rocks,

First of all I have serious doubts about the legalities and enforce-ability of such a scheme and secondly... if the official public sanctions were actually agreed upon by the board of the University then they really are a bunch of fools.

So you 'speculators' aim to say that the sanctions were actually destined to be much worse than they ended up being? You aim to say that the University conspired to run JB off the court in exchange for a lighter set of sanctions?

Do you understand that the entire landscape of college basketball from administrators, officials and announcers to even the most green of fans all agreed that the sanctions leveled against SU did not fit the allegations. The punishment was so extensive compared to previous rulings that it appears to have been a setup to defame JB and his legacy.

But here we have a few 'speculators' who keep repeating something over and over that was once said in passing by a complete idiot. As if this repetitive process makes an idiotic thought any more legitimate. So the SU BOD fired JB to lessen the sanctions? Do you realize how stupid that sounds when you look at what we were punished for? It would be a lawsuit waiting to happen and it also doesn't even make sense given the facts on the ground.

A ten year investigation revealed a high functioning ed kid from Brazil used his English as a second language scheme to game the system and we also had some players smoking pot and not being punished among even less important bullshit. At the end of the day... The NCAA with no drug policy of its own, is punishing one school for using discretion when applying their drug policy and not punishing another school who doesn't even have a drug policy.

Yeah I'm sure this secret 'deal' has something to do with an NCAA agreement! LMAO It was such a secret 'deal' that the AD decided to tweet about it. Y'all are a bunch of water cooler gossiping tards. Just writing out this 'speculation' scheme made me less intelligent. If that was called a compromise, then I'm a zebra fish farmer.

I'm not sure the university should factor in whether JB can find enough golf, fishing and books to read to keep him occupied . I know you like to just throw stuff out there, but this one cracked me up
He could take up crochet and sit in the stands with those ladies that knit and they could knit orange mittens.