Syracuse Basketball Traditions | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Basketball Traditions

Jeremy L.

2018 Iggy Regular Season Record Winner
After much discussion about our fans and the Final Four, it got me thinking about traditions Syracuse basketball has. For example with other schools, Kansas does Rock, Chalk Jayhawk (which is incredible), Penn St (We are...Penn St), etc. What should Syracuse start or continue doing? Or what should Syracuse stop doing?

-Personally, I like how the students yell "O!" during the national anthem. Same way Cornell yells "red" and Michigan yells "hail". At least it is something new.
-Syracuse should really try to do "Go Orange" like Penn St. does We Are...Penn St. As long as it isn't led by cheerleaders.

What should Syracuse start or continue doing? Or what should Syracuse stop doing?

They should start doing ANYTHING...

Our fanbase - from the students to the alumnus - has no organization and no signature chant that truly rallies the troops.

Yes, "Let's Go Orange" is fun, but it's neither original nor something that gets everyone involved. After just a few rounds, 30% of people quit and it dies off pretty quickly.

As for your second question above, They should stop doing NEXT TO NOTHING.

Would it kill the athletic department and/or cheerleaders to work with the student section on putting a few chants together?

I went to Tulane for grad school and even THEY had an organized cheer that got everyone going strong. One side of the arena would yell "Green" and then the other side would respond with "Wave." I realize the size of Tulane's Fogelman Arena compared to the Carrier Dome is laughable, but it still worked and it was EXACTLY what Michigan fans did at the Final Four - drowning our the 'Cuse fans with their choreographed chants of "Go" on one side of the arena and "Blue" from the other.

Why can't we do something similar with "Orange" and "Crush" or "Big" and "Orange" ???

How unique to us is clapping until the first basket each half? And did the fans at the FF do it?

One side chants "Orange" the other side chants "Men"

Problem solved.
Like this, but we all know it is politically incorrect.

How about "Orange" and the other side "Crush"

How unique to us is clapping until the first basket each half? And did the fans at the FF do it?
we stole it from New Mexico several decades ago

We had gift given to us by John Wallace in '96 and foolishly refuse to use it:

CALL: '"Cuse in the House!"
RESPONSE: "Oh my god, oh my god!"

We had gift given to us by John Wallace in '96 and foolishly refuse to use it:

CALL: '"Cuse in the House!"
RESPONSE: "Oh my god, oh my god!"
That was actually a song that was popular back then that they changed and put "the Cuse" instead of the real words

Here it is...

There are a ton of traditions that used to love as a kid!

1-the Dome Ranger
2--standing around the court during warm ups
3-tons of orange balloons were thrown into the air after the first made hoop
4-when the band used to play Cliff Novels "the horse" awesome song! See below

STILL DO .. .although you can only stand behind each basket.

STILL DO

STILL DO

WHO CARES? ....

su1animation.gif

Like this, but we all know it is politically incorrect.

How about "Orange" and the other side "Crush"
The cheerleaders do this twice a game. "Go" "Orange" and then they have the four signer, "Lets" "Go" "Syracuse" and both chants suck monkey ducks in the Dome.

1-the Dome Ranger

The Dome Ranger should have handed his duds to a successor. He was the best mascot we ever had.

After much discussion about our fans and the Final Four, it got me thinking about traditions Syracuse basketball has. For example with other schools, Kansas does Rock, Chalk Jayhawk (which is incredible), Penn St (We are...Penn St), etc. What should Syracuse start or continue doing? Or what should Syracuse stop doing?

-Personally, I like how the students yell "O!" during the national anthem. Same way Cornell yells "red" and Michigan yells "hail". At least it is something new.
-Syracuse should really try to do "Go Orange" like Penn St. does We Are...Penn St. As long as it isn't led by cheerleaders.

I HATE it when the student interrupt the national anthem with that yell.

The opposing player intros met with:
who cares
big deal
so what
who's he
big sh-t
Started in Manley and was well organized until the admin. cracked down and tried to stop it after it was going on for like 20 years.

C - U - S - E ! CUSE! CUSE! CUSE!

Similar to UCONN's. it's simple, and not "Sing-Songy" like the "Lets Go Orange" chant.

I guess this isn't what everyone has in mind:

One of my favorites is: Who's House, Our House !!