Syracuse Blackballed? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Blackballed?

I think you are on to something here...SU has had 4 coaches in 10 years, so history shows you get 3 years here, those are the facts. How would a coordinator view the landscape for his first coaching job?

Here is what the landscape may look like to a potential 1st year HC interviewing now:

Virginia - pays ~$3M/yr and gave last coach 6-years (also better athletes already on roster)
Memphis & Temple (assuming Rhule moves on) - take over a 10 win team in a winnable conference
Bowling Green (assuming Babers moves on) - take over a MAC Championship competitor
Maryland - B1G team with Under Armor providing millions
Rutgers - B1G team with history of keeping coaches longer than SU, state funded for more $'s
So. Carolina & Mizzo - SU not competing with SEC coaching search
Tulane - 3 win team probably ranks lower than SU job, however you don't have to play FLA State & Clemson every year for 2 guaranteed loses

History also shows we went to 3 bowls in a 5 year span, only 2 seasons ago.
And that *that* HC got an NFL gig after his 4 years - he could have stayed here as long as he wanted at that point.
Plus, the actual history - NC, Heisman, plenty of HOF'ers, etc.

Rutgers is a dumpster fire, and they don't have as much $ as you might think.
Unless UA is going to pay the entire salary of the coach and staff, then MD has even less $ than SUNJ.

Does anyone else wonder if SU is getting blackballed in their coaching search? There were a fair number of coaches that came out in support of Shafer and said that it was a mistake to fire him after only 3 years, including Frank Beamer (who had similar results at VT his first three years). I'm starting to wonder if potential candidates are staying away from Syracuse because they aren't convinced that they will get a fair shake. At the very least, it weakens Syracuse's hand in negotiations.
Using your logic Georgia may be blackballed to since Richt won 70% of his and
My thoughts exactly. Coaches talk to each other, and I can guarantee there aren't a lot of good things being said about Syracuse as a HC opportunity
Please - other HCs on SU's list will double their salaries and coordinators will get 4X or 5X+++ to take the job. Sounds pretty good to me.

My thoughts exactly. Coaches talk to each other, and I can guarantee there aren't a lot of good things being said about Syracuse as a HC opportunity
Maybe so, but there will always be plenty of qualified candidates willing to take the job and cash the checks that come with it. These guys all believe in themselves and their abilities. If someone is reluctant to consider the job because of what is being said in the coaching grapevine, we shouldn't want him anyway.

Using your logic Georgia may be blackballed to since Richt won 70% of his and

Please - other HCs on SU's list will double their salaries and coordinators will get 4X or 5X+++ to take the job. Sounds pretty good to me.

I actually agree with your statement about Georgia. I think that they will have a hard time finding a better coach. I don't think you will see P5 assistants turning them down like Cuse, but I doubt any Saban type, which is what they seem to want, will go there and face their unrealistic expectations without a serious amount of $$$. They are going to have to pay a premium for their next coach.

As far as coordinators getting 4X - 5X to take the job, they would get that at any of the other P5 openings as well. What I believe is that firing Shafer after year three and not paying a premium to compensate puts Syracuse squarely at the bottom of P5 openings.

so you thought Coyle should give an extension to a coach who went on an 8 game losing streak this season?

I was fine with that, and then he said he "thought we could still win the game" down 31 points in the fourth quarter and left in a true freshman QB with a concussion history. You don't give someone that dumb an extension.
Who said extend? I didn't, he had a year left on his contract.

I think you are on to something here...SU has had 4 coaches in 10 years, so history shows you get 3 years here, those are the facts.
History shows no such thing...

Looking at the four coaches that you referenced:
  • Paul Pasqualoni : 14 years
  • Greg Robinson : 4 years
  • Doug Marrone : 4 years (left for the NFL)
  • Scott Shafer : 3 years
All that shows is that if you have a terrible record over 3-4 years then you are relieved of your duties. If you resuscitate the program over 4 years then you are retained and become attractive to other suitors. If you consistently win over 10+ years you're allowed a mulligan... get blown out in games after that mulligan and you may be relieved of your duties as well.

Who said extend? I didn't, he had a year left on his contract.
You don't leave a lame duck coach in place. He can't recruit. You either fire or extend with one year left. Can't do nothing.

Do I think there is a giant conspiracy? No. What I think is that coaches talk. When an assistant talks to his head coach, or a colleague, or coach they have worked with previously and says, hey Syracuse is interested, it wouldn't surprise me if one of the first five remarks from that come out of their mouth is "why would you want to go there? They will pay you a crappy salary, give you an inadequate budget to hire assistants, and probably fire you after 3 years when you don't succeed in a job in which you were set up to fail, and was a failure before you even set foot on campus"
Do you have anything good to say about the Cuse football program and AD or will nothing but negativity continue to come out of your posts? This is utter nonsense what you are saying and I know a lot of college/pro coaches currently in the business.