Syracuse brand - Where do we rank? | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse brand - Where do we rank?

Atlcuse44

2nd String
So, I was recently looking at SU gear on the Dick's Sporting Goods website. I noticed that when you go to filter on the school, it shows you how many branded items (shirts, thongs, etc..) are available for each school in parentheses. As you would expect, the bigger P5 schools, have more items available but there is a wide range amongst the P5 schools (P4 now). My theory here is that there are more items available for certain schools due to demand which roughly correlates to brand popularity (& fanbase size). Now, I realize that the Dick's Sporting Goods website is not the most scientific way to determine brand popularity but it is a nationally known chain and carries all the major athletic brands (Nike, UA, etc...). Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to rank the data for all P5 schools because it is a slow day at work, recruiting is slow this week and the Seating Change thread is not the most exciting (no offense).
Ohio State is way above everyone else in terms of available items for sale (407). Syracuse is in the middle of the pack (134 items) and Rutgers is towards the bottom (78 Items).
Nelson.jpg

There were some surprises (Pitt, Maryland & West Virginia were all ranked higher than Florida State, Southern Cal was towards the bottom). Some were a bit higher probably due to recent events (Iowa - Caitlyn Clark, Colorado - Deion, etc...). Syracuse ranks 7 out of 16 schools in the ACC. Anyway, here are the complete rankings.
rank.jpg

My takeaway here is that Syracuse is a more popular brand than most people think.

The CLC, the official licensing company of the NCAA member schools, has this list. We're 39th.

Very solid showing, 3rd among private schools behind Notre Dame and Duke, who is only 1 spot ahead of us.

The CLC, the official licensing company of the NCAA member schools, has this list. We're 39th.

Very solid showing, 3rd among private schools behind Notre Dame and Duke, who is only 1 spot ahead of us.

Surprisingly, Jersey State Skool of Teknolojy-OndaRaritan did not make the list...

Surprisingly, Jersey State Skool of Teknolojy-OndaRaritan did not make the list...
Quick aside, I was at my son's graduation from that particular institution a couple of weeks ago. The alma mater was song and they posted the lyrics. Here's a snippet:
"Then sing aloud to Alma Mater,
And keep the scarlet in the van';
For with her motto high,
Rutgers' name shall never die,
On thе banks of the old Raritan."

From this I drew the only conclusion that I think is possible, that Rutgers is the Matt Foley of higher learning. Apparently it's in a van, down by the river.

You used to be able to find that list easily. Throughout the teens...we were always around 35 to 38 IIRC.

We are a mid-level P4 program.

BTW, WVU always punched above their weight.

You used to be able to find that list easily. Throughout the teens...we were always around 35 to 38 IIRC.

We are a mid-level P4 program.

BTW, WVU always punched above their weight.
They have Pitt at 16? Whiff. D'ks needs to hire some Whitman grads.

Last edited:
They reintroduced script Pitt a few years later...I'm outta ideas.
Most likely. You will always see an increase in merchandise/demand when you do uni changes. Other factors are team success (UConn would rank in the 40s in my table above if I counted non P5 teams due to their bball natty), super popular players (Iowa -Caitlyn Clark) and hope (I am sure demand for SU gear has increased since HCFB was hired).

The author must be biased. There is no way West Virginia and Pittsburgh are better brands than Syracuse.