Syracuse Coach Looks Beyond Arc and Sees Himself | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Coach Looks Beyond Arc and Sees Himself

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
14syracuse1-popup.jpg

It was in the final few minutes of a practice earlier this week when Trevor Cooney received a pass on the wing, dribbled once to create a sliver of space and let fly an effortless jump shot from beyond the arc. He was fading left, his body leaning toward the sideline, as the ball leapt from his fingertips, a perfect gooseneck follow-through guiding it toward the hoop.

After it swished, Syracuse’s next great shooter cast a glance in the direction of one of the greatest shooters in team history, and a fleeting moment of eye contact denoted Gerry McNamara’s approval from the sideline. For on this play and on so many others lately, it is as if McNamara is watching a mirror image of himself.

“They’re both hard-nosed, tough guys that can shoot,” Syracuse Coach Jim Boeheim said. “There are some similarities there I think.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/14/s...-coach-looks-beyond-arc-and-sees-himself.html

other than skin tone & Irish last names, there is barely any similarity at all

Cooney is bigger, more athletic, a much better shooter and significantly better on the defensive end.

Cooney looks like the lost Baldwin brother; McNamara looks like he should be playing banjo on the set of Deliverance.

Cooney is bigger, more athletic, a much better shooter and significantly better on the defensive end.

Cooney looks like the lost Baldwin brother; McNamara looks like he should be playing banjo on the set of Deliverance.
::gets popcorn ready::

Rinse. Repeat. Did you lose your best friend today or run out of meth? Last sentence a bit much.

Just realized this article was written by Cohen. Guy can't quit us.
He tweeted earlier that this was, in fact, his very last piece for the PS.

Moqui has always felt that GMac was an overrated shooter..clutch, but not a great 3 point percentage shooter. I pretty much agree with him.

These guys have tons of heart and a work ethic I can't begin to imagine! They have passion, they are warriors! Will Cooney be as "clutch" as Gerry? Hard to imagine, but we'll see. There are more to these players than their 3 pt stats.

While the Deliverance thing is overboard (also hilarious) White Hot is bigger, more athletic, likely to shoot a higher percentage over his career, and will probably end up as a better defensive player. So...

Moqui has always felt that GMac was an overrated shooter..clutch, but not a great 3 point percentage shooter. I pretty much agree with him.

Statistically speaking, he's right.

My favorite similarity between GMac and Trevor.....

They both have a great pair of parents who manage to attend every one of their games. Joyce and Chiz McNamara .. and Brian and Mary Cooney. Joyce McNamara had to be at work at 5 a.m. at the Scranton Post Office. They drove home every night after Dome games, and she never missed a day of work. And she used her vacation days to attend the more-distant weeknight games on the road and post-season games. The Cooney's are exactly the same. They coincidentally sat behind me both in Maui and in San Jose last March. Four nicer, more supportive people, you will never meet.

Last edited:
Moqui has a point. All I care is that Cooney keeps his confidence up now that the spotlight is on him. Go 'Cuse!

Ok, being we can supposedly just dial it in, I am waiting for Trevor to personally own the BET in the world's capitol like Gerry did. Oh wait...

And as freshman, I remember Gerry's performance in the NCAA championship game. I also remember Trevor's in the final 4. Just saying, what we can actually compare for accomplishments vs just projections.

I hope Cooney is great, but no need to knock a proven hero in order to project what someone who has yet to prove themself could be.

I feel like Rothstein wore this story already, and more succinctly:

So much Gerry McNamara in Trevor Cooney.

My favorite similarity between GMac and Trevor.....

They both have a great pair of parents who manage to attend every one of their games. Joyce and Chiz McNamara .. and Brian and Mary Cooney. Joyce McNamara had to be at work at 5 a.m. at the Scranton Post Office. They drove home every night after Dome games, and she never missed a day of work. And she used her vacation days to attend weeknight games on the road and post-season games. The Cooney's are exactly the same. They coincidentally sat behind me both in Maui and in San Jose last March. Four nicer, more supportive people, you will never meet.

Where do they sit? Close to the McNamaras?

Where do they sit? Close to the McNamaras?
I was talking about the McNamara's when GMac was a player. They do not regularly attend games now.

cto said:
If I hadn't been interupted by a phone call, I was about to post exactly the same thing. Great minds....

With the exclamation point?

I was talking about the McNamara's when GMac was a player. They do not regularly attend games now.
Ahh, thanks! I have seen at least the mother fairly recently, though, helping with the second baby. So, I wondered if they still came as regulars because Gerry is now on the bench.

Sweet move to make fun of how somebody looks. Before anybody responds,I'll lighten up when he says something funny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom