Syracuse FB Coaching Stepping Stone | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse FB Coaching Stepping Stone

You would be mistaken. I've been an SU FB fan longer than an SU BB fan going back to 1963. That's when SU was really a Football school.

There has been a lot more stuff on the basketball board that I have found interesting in the past few years.
Delightful surprise to me, love your point of view on the other board.

I think our reputation is closer to being a place where coaching careers go to die.

Disagree.

Robinson and Shafer were career journeymen coordinators, got their shot here, and proved they couldn’t cut the mustard as the head coach. Shafer will probably continue to do fine as a DC.

Marrone proved he could cut it as a HC and got an NFL job.

Pasqualoni had a good career here, it ran its course, but he got another head job and still has a pretty nice NFL slot even now.

Unlike those 4, Dino already proved he could be a head coach before he even got here and even with two 4-8 seasons, his career is nowhere close to dying. I feel like the sentiment towards him is pretty much all positive even from neutral observers.

His buyout is massive. If we were to lose him, it would be to a blue blood that we can’t compete with financially regardless.

If he gets those kind of offers and wants to leave, he leaves.

No sense wringing hands over something so uncontrollable and unpredictable. We’ve had this conversation every season he’s been here.

I’d say enjoy the ride. If we’re in a position to lose our HC, that’s probably an enviable position.

Exactly.

How many would be satisfied with the opposite? Where Babers nevers sees another offer because he hasn't been successful at SU,

Unlike those 4, Dino already proved he could be a head coach before he even got here and even with two 4-8 seasons, his career is nowhere close to dying. I feel like the sentiment towards him is pretty much all positive even from neutral observers.

I'm not sure how Dino is perceived by neutral observers, as i am not one, but imo, his stock is nowhere near as high as most of this Board values it. He was pretty much a position coach mercenary his entire career, latched onto an amazing offensive system designed by an evil genius, and won with another coaches talent at his previous two stops, bailing before it was about to get difficult. How he performs over this and next season will say a lot about his abilities and whether he climbs the coaching ladder further.

Regardless, so long as he does not flame out here, he will have P5 coordinator, G5 head coaching opportunities, since he is a good communicator, has good contacts, and has "the look."

It's not like we want Dino to be successful but not too successful. let's go 15-0!

Here's an interesting question: If he had a big success in the next couple of years and left and we decided to promote from within to keep the success going, who would we promote? Or would we look to a current head coach with a similar background, perhaps part of a Baylor or Oregon coaching tree?

It's not like we want Dino to be successful but not too successful. let's go 15-0!

Here's an interesting question: If he had a big success in the next couple of years and left and we decided to promote from within to keep the success going, who would we promote? Or would we look to a current head coach with a similar background, perhaps part of a Baylor or Oregon coaching tree?

I'd look to Sean Lewis and see how he fares at Kent State.

I could absolutely assure you that if i were HC of Cuse bball or football - there is a near 0% chance im leaving for anything. NFL/NBA included.

Id have a nice house on skanaeteles and nice house in jd/fm area

Agreed. I already have a great job here. If I was offered double what I make now in NYC I still wouldn’t leave.

All jobs are a stepping stone in some way. Everyone has a price.
Ted_Dibiase_-_Theodore_Marvin_DiBiase_10.jpg

The great ones never see greener grass. He could have gone to Ohio St, NBA, and stayed.
Nick Saban, Bill Belichick, Bill Parcells, et al, seeked greener pastures. In fact, a lot of the "great ones" have done so.

Very good points, Lou.

I certainly would trade our last 14 years of largely vomit-inducing football for Cincy-esque run of Dantonio, Brian Kelly, Butch Jones and re-treaded Tommy Tuberville.

If Dino gets us back winning consistently and leaves then I hope his tenure is the catalyst for a succession of talented coaches as you describe above.

I really think Dino is here for the long haul. These next 2 years are the key. We need a bowl this year, and next year, I think we are set up for 8+ wins, between the schedule and the returning talent. If we meet those expectations, which are attainable, then I think Dino can write his ticket here. The guy can recruit and he has great confidence. Once we get to 8 wins with him as Coach, we're aren't going to have another 3 or 4 win season, in my opinion.

Was recently thinking about this after watching HCDM coach on Sunday. He for one was suited for the NFL. There was no doubt he would leave us and when the NFL came calling, how could he not go.

I know we always have this stigma of Syracuse being a stepping stone and not a landing spot, but when did that theory every come about? It has never happened (with the exception of HCDM leaving for NFL). I really think Dino is here for the long run. HCSS would have done the same had he have success.

On a total side note, was watching film from SU-FSU in 2015. We look like such a new, complete and better team nowadays.

I think you're right - most coaches who come here like it here and stay.

Coach Mac left but he was given an offer he couldn't refuse and that SU couldn't match - and he came back.

Marrone really is the exception.

Hopefully Dino is finding CNY to be a nice place to live and work.

it was somewhat of a unique situation in that Dick wanted to finish his career in New England, the Patriots needed some energy after the Rod Rust snooze fest of 1990 and a guy with a degree of integrity since they were coming off a major scandal with Lisa Olson. He was the wrong hire but the rationale was right.

With regards to Dino, no one knows what is in his heart with regards to other gigs. I don't think he has any real NFL connections so i doubt he'd make that jump (it's a boys club of networking there). If he wants another college gig he'll leave. We won't know until schools call and that'll be a result of a strong season.

I think Coach Mac gets a bad rap for what he did in NE.

I think he coached quite well - he took a really horrible team, was competitive and won 6 games.

I have read where some feel he laid the groundwork for Parcells.

I think Coach Mac gets a bad rap for what he did in NE.

I think he coached quite well - he took a really horrible team, was competitive and won 6 games.

I have read where some feel he laid the groundwork for Parcells.

Mac gave them what they needed in 1991, enthusiasm, a few thrilling wins and a team that was as enjoyable you will find for a 6 win team. His 1992 season was atrocious.

Parcells took a nuclear bomb to the entire roster and blew everyone out essentially. Parcells won with his Giants guys coming up and having the chance to draft Bledsoe.

Mac to me, if given the right team, would have been successful in the NFL. He was the 1980s version of Pete Carroll. However, he wasn't gonna be one of those turnaround experts like Parcells.

Hopefully you're kidding because I don't think that's accurate at all.
I said that because I doubt we have a reputation as a stepping stone in anyone's eyes. Two coaches leaving us for greener/other pastures in 60 years wouldn't warrant that reputation. Nor would one in the last three or four coaches.

Meanwhile, we've had a few coaches flame out so maybe someone thinks SU is a place where careers go to die. A reputation that I'm pretty sure we have is that of any private northeast college. That you won't be able to win here consistently. Aside from what's happened recently, that would make it scary to come here.

Last edited:
I said that because I doubt we have a reputation as a stepping stone in anyone's eyes. Two coaches leaving us for greener/other pastures in 60 years wouldn't warrant that reputation. Nor would one in the last three or four coaches.

Meanwhile, we've had a few coaches flame out so maybe someone thinks SU is a place where careers go to die. A reputation that I'm pretty sure we have is that of any private northeast college. That you won't be able to win here consistently. Aside from what's happened recently, that would make it scary to come here.

We've really only had 2 guys flame out - Shafer and Gerg.

Marrone did well while he was here. Pasqualoni wasn't so much a flame out, as a guy whose time had run its course. I would call it a "fizzle out". And of course Mac did great things while he was here, and he came back to be part of the program after his short stint with the Pats.

The only other guy here who could be considered a "flame out" was was Frank Maloney, and in all honesty, he did as well as you could expect after Schwartzwalder's 25 seasons here ended with him being tone deaf to the African American players on the team who went on strike. What year was that, 1970? That was the bottom.

Maloney was stuck with Archbold, and then playing a whole season on the road while the Dome was being built. Despite those handicaps, he recruited Art Monk, Joe Morris and Bill Hurley, and we had some pretty good offenses, but were too inconsistent. At least we made a bowl game before he was shown the door.

Mac gave them what they needed in 1991, enthusiasm, a few thrilling wins and a team that was as enjoyable you will find for a 6 win team. His 1992 season was atrocious.

Parcells took a nuclear bomb to the entire roster and blew everyone out essentially. Parcells won with his Giants guys coming up and having the chance to draft Bledsoe.

Mac to me, if given the right team, would have been successful in the NFL. He was the 1980s version of Pete Carroll. However, he wasn't gonna be one of those turnaround experts like Parcells.

I'll have to check on the personnel issue - Parcells did bring in some Giants but I think he also relied upon a bunch of Mac players.

Mac became ill during his second year and that had impact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom