Syracuse football cornerback: 'I thought he was in-bounds' | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football cornerback: 'I thought he was in-bounds'

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
proxy.jpg

Asked by a Chicago Tribune reporter Saturday if he'd done any acting on the play,

5619835.jpeg

Siemian smiled and said: "I don't know. He hit me. Glad we got the call."

Syracuse football cornerback: 'I thought he was in-bounds'

that play did not cost the game lyn is right, very small play in the scheme of things--he played a good game---hope he does saturday as well---move on

You thought he was in bounds Keon because he was in bounds. Maybe we should get flags for people to wear. I hope Keon plays it that way exactly the same in the future. That's why there are whistles and lines. Play to the whistle, play to the boundary.

Was sitting on the opposite side of the field at that end and didn't see the play - from that screencap above, yeah, he was two yards from being out of bounds when that contact happened.

Was sitting on the opposite side of the field at that end and didn't see the play - from that screencap above, yeah, he was two yards from being out of bounds when that contact happened.

Why weren't you at the Fine Mess tailgate? I was sitting in the same (visiting side) section, around the 20. We DID see the play, although it was across the field. And it definately looked like the push was in-bounds - totally fair game. In fact, this photo shows the two players at least a yard in-bounds. Thus, the line-judge (pictured in the photo), who was right on the play, saw no problem. Unfortunately, the Referee, who was 25 yards away, ran in with a flag after Siemian (edit)apparently flopped. This seemed bizarre, more like a rescue call than a legit flag ... thrown at a suspiciously convenient time for NW. I don't know about other fans, but it left a pretty sour taste in my mouth about the Referee's integrity and/or competence.

Why weren't you at the Fine Mess tailgate? I was sitting in the same (visiting side) section, around the 20. We DID see the play, although it was across the field. And it definately looked like the push was in-bounds - totally fair game. In fact, this photo shows the two players at least a yard in-bounds. Thus, the line-judge (pictured in the photo), who was right on the play, saw no problem. Unfortunately, the Referee, who was 25 yards away, ran in with a flag after Coulter (apparently) flopped. This seemed bizarre, more like a rescue call than a legit flag ... thrown at a suspiciously convenient time for NW. I don't know about other fans, but it left a pretty sour taste in my mouth about the Referee's integrity and/or competence.
Come on with the conspiracy talk. If the refs wanted NW to lose, they could have let a couple of those PI calls go and called a few more offensive holdings on SU. There was ample room for them to do so.

I thought it was a bad call, however.

Why weren't you at the Fine Mess tailgate? I was sitting in the same (visiting side) section, around the 20. We DID see the play, although it was across the field. And it definately looked like the push was in-bounds - totally fair game. In fact, this photo shows the two players at least a yard in-bounds. Thus, the line-judge (pictured in the photo), who was right on the play, saw no problem. Unfortunately, the Referee, who was 25 yards away, ran in with a flag after Coulter (apparently) flopped. This seemed bizarre, more like a rescue call than a legit flag ... thrown at a suspiciously convenient time for NW. I don't know about other fans, but it left a pretty sour taste in my mouth about the Referee's integrity and/or competence.

Was pounding Keystones at the Sheraton. Would have come but was meeting up with someone from SU's development office, and a buddy also pounding beers on the quad.

Yes Keon, he was in bounds when you put your hands on him, but had one foot out when you actually shoved him. Plus, it is the QB. They make that 50/50 call in favor of the QB 95% of the time (but not for RB's/WR's/TE's). Plus, there was 0% chance he was turning upfield, so why put the ref in the position of making the call at all.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Come on with the conspiracy talk. If the refs wanted NW to lose, they could have let a couple of those PI calls go and called a few more offensive holdings on SU. There was ample room for them to do so.

I thought it was a bad call, however.

The call was beyond bad ... obviously wrong, by the wrong official, and at a very suspicious time in the game. I can't say that the ref is dirty .. but I think my concern about his integrity "and/or" competence is justifed. This was a game-changer: 4 and 14 or 1st and 10 inside the 10 with 40 seconds on the clock. Let the players play the game unless its obvious... basic officiating.

I don't see how my post ventures into the conspiracy relm -- take a look at the picture. Wow ... waaaay in-bounds. I'll leave it at that.

proxy.jpg

I think God was evening the score after the way we beat Kansas State in the Pinstripe Bowl ;-)

Yes Keon, he was in bounds when you put your hands on him, but had one foot out when you actually shoved him. Plus, it is the QB. They make that 50/50 call in favor of the QB 95% of the time (but not for RB's/WR's/TE's). Plus, there was 0% chance he was turning upfield, so why put the ref in the position of making the call at all.

I think both sides of this are right -- Keon should know that the QB will be given extra protection by the officials on sideline plays. At the same time, the call shouldn't have been made by an official so far from the action ... when it was pretty obvious that contact was initiated WELL within bounds, Siemian's effeminate flop notwithstanding.

Another factor is the type of contact -- this was a pretty mild push well inside the boundary line, not a helmet to helmet drill job out-of-bounds. The refereee should have left this play to the discretion of the line judge (who was right on top of it) and let it go. That doesn't mean Keon shouldn't be more careful.

Was pounding Keystones at the Sheraton. Would have come but was meeting up with someone from SU's development office, and a buddy also pounding beers on the quad.

Last time I checked we had plenty of beer at the Fine Mess!!

That about sums it up. Refs make that call on QBs all the time. He had no chance of turning upfield. So going forward, just let the guy go out of bounds. The push had no impact on the yardage he was going to get.

It will be especially important this weekend as we play what will be the most ref protected QB in college football. The last thing we need is personal fouls.

I think this is the rule (among the nearly 200 pages), NCAA Football Rules 2012, FR-85, Rule 9 Section I (personal fouls), Article 7b), which states (emphasis added):

Late Hit, Action Out of Bounds
ARTICLE 7. a. There shall be no piling on, falling on or throwing the body on
an opponent after the ball becomes dead (A.R. 9-1-7-I).
b. No opponent shall tackle or block the runner when he is clearly out of
bounds or throw him to the ground after the ball becomes dead.
c. It is illegal for any player to be clearly out of bounds when he initiates a
block against an opponent who is out of bounds. The spot of the foul is
where the blocker crosses the sideline in going out of bounds.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/FR12.pdf

If this is the correct rule, you'd have to be drunk to conclude that the QB was "clearly out of bounds" ??? Not even close, ref.

And we don't get naked or wear kitty costumes (thank god).

None of the PI calls were remotely questionable...I'm not saying there was a conspiracy beyond the classic "our big-boy conference where I grew up ain't gonna lose to you", but those PI calls were so obvious they had to be flagged or there would be individual repercussions about competency, etc.

They were almost not even judgement calls. They are not justification for defending these officials.

I don't believe there was a judgement call made against NW except the one that was offset by our "roughing" the passer penalty. They were also gifted 5 yards on a ridic "unabated to the QB" judgement call when the defender was already back behind the line...I mean, how stupid can you be?

that play did not cost the game lyn is right, very small play in the scheme of things--he played a good game---hope he does saturday as well---move on

You are right: the play did not cost us the game, it was just a main contributing factor to us losing the game.