Syracuse Moves Up as a Doctoral University | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse Moves Up as a Doctoral University

I think this is an important step forward.

Finally crawling back out of the crater that Chancy Nancy made of our academic standing, all to make a buck (in the short term).

Cuse back to being the Harvard of CNY.

Suck it, Cornell & Colgate. :p

What seems to be new is the R1 ranking, not the “doctoral” part.

R1 is a big deal. A lot goes into that ranking.

We shouldn’t have ever lost AAU status.
we still need to get that back. i have no idea of what we are doing to elevate our research level. sorry to say would like to see the money we are spending on athletics duplicated to enhance our research capabilities.
we really NEED to "fix" the law school, its ranking is chronically dismal --why ? it seems the medical school is out of the question

we still need to get that back. i have no idea of what we are doing to elevate our research level. sorry to say would like to see the money we are spending on athletics duplicated to enhance our research capabilities.
we really NEED to "fix" the law school, its ranking is chronically dismal --why ? it seems the medical school is out of the question
A LOT goes into getting the R1 ranking. For example, faculty salaries are just one of many many input modalities.

Big part of the upgrade is the result of high research activity……does that mean SU is finally getting credit for the high level work that is frequently displayed on this board.

If fixing the law school means boosting the USN&WR ranking you can look at their metrics easily enough and see where they can be juiced. Unfortunately some other institutions (especially MBA programs) have been shady about doing that. I think the current dean is doing a fairly good job.
There was talk about 5 years ago about SU starting up a smallish medical school oriented towards veterans. Upstate immediately squawked and the idea has gone silent as far as I know.

Syracuse joins 13 other ACC members in the accolade.

Sorry, Wake Forest.

Kudos, SU!
Yeah, it's interesting who has this status and who doesn't based on the "academic rep" of the institution. For example, WVU achieved this status years ago when I was in grad school there.

Finally crawling back out of the crater that Chancy Nancy made of our academic standing, all to make a buck (in the short term).

Cuse back to being the Harvard of CNY.

Suck it, Cornell & Colgate. :p
I'm not sure if Nancy was overly idealistic or lacking in common sense, or a combination of the two, but her tenure had lasting negative effects on more than just academic standing.

If fixing the law school means boosting the USN&WR ranking you can look at their metrics easily enough and see where they can be juiced. Unfortunately some other institutions (especially MBA programs) have been shady about doing that. I think the current dean is doing a fairly good job.
There was talk about 5 years ago about SU starting up a smallish medical school oriented towards veterans. Upstate immediately squawked and the idea has gone silent as far as I know.
the answer --- juice the law school. boost the research, i think ken is good for the undergrad stuff. med school is smkoke

Each year they have the university rankings and else are in the 60-70 area from what I remember

Does this change anything

When did we drop out of R1? Last time I checked in 2018, we were still in R1 list.
As best I can determine, we first achieved R1 status in 2016, to great fanfare.

We kept that designation in 2018.

My guess is that the lists are made every other year.

I am assuming we dropped back to R2 in 2020. It was kept on the down low.

Until we moved back to R1 in 2022.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom