"Syverud to work with city, county on Carrier Dome renovations" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

"Syverud to work with city, county on Carrier Dome renovations"

She's an idiot. She blew a great opportunity for the city at no cost.
how did she blow it?

hundreds of millions of dollars just vanished because the mayor said "hold up here"

I dunno, this seems expensiWELL THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE

Let's not get too far ahead of ourseNEVER MIND IT'S ALL OVER

Awful headline by the DO and the reporter who tweeted the exact same thing. Syverud did not limit his comments to renovations
i'll never understand why papers have so much trouble writing headlines.

Don't Lose Capacity!
People just don't seem to grasp the fact that when we were consistent winners in the 90s we were putting 45 plus in the dome almost every game. 49k plus is perfect capacity for this program.

People just don't seem to grasp the fact that when we were consistent winners in the 90s we were putting 45 plus in the dome almost every game. 49k plus is perfect capacity for this program.

I'll respectfully disagree with this point. I think somewhere around 45k would be about right as far as how much the new building should hold. First, we're talking 15-20 years ago when we were getting crowds consistently above 45k. Not sure the demographics are favorable to draw that highly again, even if we were winning more than now.

Second, I don't think you should set capacity at what you hope will be your biggest draw, it should be set at what you can consistently draw. Lowering supply will help increase some demand. The worst visual when selling this program are the empty seats, don't build in extra empties if you don't have to.

I think the trend is (or soon will be) to build smaller stadiums with lower capacities since attendance seems to be an issue all over the country, in all sports. I'd rather have a place that looks full, even if it's a little smaller, than a place with more seats that are empty.

I'll respectfully disagree with this point. I think somewhere around 45k would be about right as far as how much the new building should hold. First, we're talking 15-20 years ago when we were getting crowds consistently above 45k. Not sure the demographics are favorable to draw that highly again, even if we were winning more than now.

Second, I don't think you should set capacity at what you hope will be your biggest draw, it should be set at what you can consistently draw. Lowering supply will help increase some demand. The worst visual when selling this program are the empty seats, don't build in extra empties if you don't have to.

I think the trend is (or soon will be) to build smaller stadiums with lower capacities since attendance seems to be an issue all over the country, in all sports. I'd rather have a place that looks full, even if it's a little smaller, than a place with more seats that are empty.

I disagree.

First when McNabb was here we were drawing up to 48,000-49,000 per game.

Second, the college game is a much bigger draw today than it was 15 years ago - college football is getting huge.

Third, we are now in the ACC - we will be drawing teams like Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Va Tech, North Carolina and others on a regular basis - no more Rutgers or Cincy or Temple.

Fourth, we are getting better - the fans will come.

Fifth, if we hope to attract big time players we need a big time venue - reducing seating is the absolute wrong approach - players want to play in front of big crowds.

Sixth, the notion that we should reduce capacity because lately we have not drawn reminds me of the late 1970s when people scoffed at the notion of a 50,000 seat stadium when we were drawing 20,000 per game. Back then the CNY population was higher - there was more industry in the area - economics were better etc and yet we were drawing poorly. That was because of the venue and the lack of quality in the field.

The Carrier Dome is a better facility now than it was five years ago - it is a fun place to see a game. And the program is advancing. If anything we should try to expand capacity.

I disagree.

Second, the college game is a much bigger draw today than it was 15 years ago - college football is getting huge.

Third, we are now in the ACC - we will be drawing teams like Florida State, Clemson, Miami, Va Tech, North Carolina and others on a regular basis - no more Rutgers or Cincy or Temple.

Fifth, if we hope to attract big time players we need a big time venue - reducing seating is the absolute wrong approach - players want to play in front of big crowds.

Sixth, the notion that we should reduce capacity because lately we have not drawn reminds me of the late 1970s when people scoffed at the notion of a 50,000 seat stadium when we were drawing 20,000 per game. Back then the CNY population was higher - there was more industry in the area - economics were better etc and yet we were drawing poorly. That was because of the venue and the lack of quality in the field.

The Carrier Dome is a better facility now than it was five years ago - it is a fun place to see a game. And the program is advancing. If anything we should try to expand capacity.
i'd rather err on the side for lower capacity.

if the capacity is set to your peak crowd and everyone knows they can get a ticket to any game whenever they want, people will just cherry pick the best games and there's no overflow to the lesser games.

i think part of the reason other schools have such great attendance for piddly games is because their fan bases are many multiples bigger than the size of the arena.

I disagree.

Agree with all of these points, I do think it will be tough to sell upper deck seats for 120 a pop for a game against a mediocre opponent. I know they cant give prime seats away for 20 bucks either. Need ti find middle ground on this.

45,000 minimum. Would prefer 48,000 - 50,000. But that would include more, and more spacious, private boxes.

We're nitpicking here. Location of stadium is more of a concern than size. That said, I wouldn't go smaller than 50,000. Recruits pay attention to these kind of things. I also expect us to draw as many as 5,000 more each game for football if there's better parking and tailgating.

Do you guys honestly think 5,000 people aren't going because they don't like where they can currently drink a beer in a parking lot? 5,000 people is a lot of people.

I think a combination of the pain of getting through the traffic funnel, hiking up hill or busing to the stadium, lack of a "traditional" pregame football atmosphere do depress attendance keeps a significant % of folks away.

It's not because they can't drink a beer in a parking lot and dismissing it that way is shortsighted.

Give me a backrest on the seat, that's all I ask. Oh, and paint it orange.

Bayside44 said:
Do you guys honestly think 5,000 people aren't going because they don't like where they can currently drink a beer in a parking lot? 5,000 people is a lot of people.

Yes, I do. It might not always be that many, but I have no doubt that easier access and better parking and tailgating would attract bigger crowds. Parking and tailgating for many at home games is a job. Then there's the climb up the hill. Doesn't keep me from going, but I bet it does for several thousand.

Years ago, when UConn used to play Yale at Yale Bowl, they'd get an extra 10,000 fans, mostly from UConn, because the tailgating was so good. Of course, many never left the parking lot and it was before they built the Rent.

I disagree.

First when McNabb was here we were drawing up to 48,000-49,000 per game...

While I agree with many of your points I've got to dispute #6. In the late 1970s when I live there the population of Onondaga County was 464,000. Today it is 467,000. The five county area (Onondaga, Oswego, Madison, Cortland, Cayuga) had 767,000 residents in 1979; today the area is home to 791,000.

CNY population is higher today. I can buy that population growth has been minimal and wages for most folks stagnant or worse. But Central New Yorkers tend to paint a drearier picture of conditions than they are. You've got a different economy for sure than when I lived there but it's not all bad news.

Again, several thousand it a big #. Attendance was just fine when McNabb was running around all over the place. People don't need a tailgate to have a game event these days.

The NFL, other ACC schools are having attendance issues, partly because the in house experience is so good. Conversely, those ACC schools have messed up parking also and before the 60 inch flat screens people made due with tailgating in a traditional college setup.

Bayside44 said:
Again, several thousand it a big #. Attendance was just fine when McNabb was running around all over the place. People don't need a tailgate to have a game event these days. The NFL, other ACC schools are having attendance issues, partly because the in house experience is so good. Conversely, those ACC schools have messed up parking also and before the 60 inch flat screens people made due with tailgating in a traditional college setup.

Some if the best experiences I've ever had a college game were at Penn State, and a lot of that has to with the pregame atmosphere and outstanding tailgating. I have no doubt that's a big selling point with recruits. The recruits don't tailgate and won't as athletes, but the buzz and atmosphere it creates is huge.

While I agree with many of your points I've got to dispute #6. In the late 1970s when I live there the population of Onondaga County was 464,000. Today it is 467,000. The five county area (Onondaga, Oswego, Madison, Cortland, Cayuga) had 767,000 residents in 1979; today the area is home to 791,000.

CNY population is higher today. I can buy that population growth has been minimal and wages for most folks stagnant or worse. But Central New Yorkers tend to paint a drearier picture of conditions than they are. You've got a different economy for sure than when I lived there but it's not all bad news.

Yeah, I guess I was presuming city population.

The NFL, other ACC schools are having attendance issues, partly because the in house experience is so good. Conversely, those ACC schools have messed up parking also and before the 60 inch flat screens people made due with tailgating in a traditional college setup.

Great point. The evolution of the "man-cave", massive flat-screen HD TV's with insane surround sound and the such have made it very enjoyable to stay at home.

I, on the other hand, enjoy waiting in line at the pee trough and drinking Dome Foams.

We're nitpicking here. Location of stadium is more of a concern than size. That said, I wouldn't go smaller than 50,000. Recruits pay attention to these kind of things. I also expect us to draw as many as 5,000 more each game for football if there's better parking and tailgating.

I think Drumlins is the best loction for tailgating...not sure if the ownership of the land is an issue for funding.

I like 44,444...but build in some room to get to 50k if warranted in the future.

I think Drumlins is the best loction for tailgating...not sure if the ownership of the land is an issue for funding.

I like 44,444...but build in some room to get to 50k if warranted in the future.

The $200M is tied to revitalization and infrastructure, not a gift to SU to build a new stadium on their property. That's why Skytop and the Inner Harbor are non-starters at this point.

The $200M is tied to revitalization and infrastructure, not a gift to SU to build a new stadium on their property. That's why Skytop and the Inner Harbor are non-starters at this point.

Everyone is flipping out about the price tag thinking every dollar from the State will go to building an arena for SU. People instantly think this isDestiny USA part 2. It's really not, but this whole leak fiasco has been a freaking cluster fudge. It has instantly divided people and have them forming opinions based on very little information or fact. I'm not sure who leaked this but they fudged up big time.

I think it's more the perception people have that there is no place to park. Don't get me wrong, I love the Dome where it is' and I never had difficulty parking. But the average (read that non die-hard) local believes it's too difficult to park for a game at the Dome. They're mostly wrong, or course. But that's the perception, and it isn't going to change as long as the Dome is in operation.