Taj's new WR coach leaves for Pitt | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Taj's new WR coach leaves for Pitt

Honestly, I’ve grown to love classical music. I’m on the eastern side of the state and listen to WMHT and VPR (Vermont) pretty much exclusively. Classical music is just on another level compared to anything else imo.

Classical music is so many different things, so many different eras. Some is so completely unlike other styles, I find it hard to agree with such a broad generalization. Some jazz is every bit the equal, or even superior to much of classical, which can be formulaic, derivative and pretentious.

Some is great. I love Mozart, but The Magic Flute is trash. Listening to Chopin and speed-racing through technical piano pieces, made chic by people like Van Cliburn, I find it no more appealing than some Bill Evans, and some of those other guys like Art Tatum and Bud Powell - technique over heart, over soulfulness. They are the Jeff Becks of their instruments.

Coltrane as a solo performer, after his time with Miles Dave, became increasingly focused on "playing fast, get every idea out at once". It turned to noise. Sorry, but he was better when he was younger.

Every style of music has elite performers, and lasting historic performances. Every style has great music. You just have to open your ears to other possibilities to hear it. I love it all.

Classical music is so many different things, so many different eras. Some is so completely unlike other styles, I find it hard to agree with such a broad generalization. Some jazz is every bit the equal, or even superior to much of classical, which can be formulaic, derivative and pretentious.

Some is great. I love Mozart, but The Magic Flute is trash. Listening to Chopin and speed-racing through technical piano pieces, made chic by people like Van Cliburn, I find it no more appealing than some Bill Evans, and some of those other guys like Art Tatum and Bud Powell - technique over heart, over soulfulness. They are the Jeff Becks of their instruments.

Coltrane as a solo performer, after his time with Miles Dave, became increasingly focused on "playing fast, get every idea out at once". It turned to noise. Sorry, but he was better when he was younger.

Every style of music has elite performers, and lasting historic performances. Every style has great music. You just have to open your ears to other possibilities to hear it. I love it all.
Gentlemen, stick to Aaron Copeland please.

whew!!!!! i got more out of your post than i did in a semester of music appreciation 101 !!!!! thankyou for that.

Last edited:

Typical criticisms of classical music made by a jazz fan. Technical precision is soulless and pretentious? That’s absurd. Spare me your indignation for merely stating an opinion on what my favorite genre of music is. I wonder if I would have still received your correction if I said the same about jazz.

You want to know what’s pretentious? The gatekeepers of the jazz music community. What they allow to be considered jazz is always an endless debate. Look how they treat Kenny G for example.

Much of jazz music sounds like disorganized noise in comparison to classical music. I’ll take Beethoven or Vivaldi over Miles Davis any day. Though I will admit I like his Birth of the Cool.

Typical criticisms of classical music made by a jazz fan. Technical precision is soulless and pretentious? That’s absurd. Spare me your indignation for merely stating an opinion on what my favorite genre of music is. I wonder if I would have still received your correction if I said the same about jazz.

You want to know what’s pretentious? The gatekeepers of the jazz music community. What they allow to be considered jazz is always an endless debate. Look how they treat Kenny G for example.

Much of jazz music sounds like disorganized noise in comparison to classical music. I’ll take Beethoven or Vivaldi over Miles Davis any day. Though I will admit I like his Birth of the Cool.
That's the hill you want to die on? :confused:

...form a perimeter around Taj... direct snap him the ball (like Schady used to do with Sanu).

oh, the memories...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom