Talked to 2 NBA People About Malachi, Lydon and Gbinije... What Mal may hear at the combine | Syracusefan.com

Talked to 2 NBA People About Malachi, Lydon and Gbinije... What Mal may hear at the combine

cuse522

2nd String
I had the chance to talk to an NBA scout and a D-League assistant who knows Gbinije, and asked what they thought about all three. The conversation was before the Final Four started, for what it's worth. Obviously, Lydon was pretty emphatic that he's staying, but I hope for his own good he does go through the process just to get the feedback.

They seemed to think Richardson and Lydon shouldn't come out, but that both would have a shot at going in the first round if they did. Richardson, more than Lydon, would have a shot at the first round. Lydon has all the tools but benefits even more than Mal from another year. If they come back, they both have a good shot at being lottery picks in the future. I asked if they thought NBA teams put too much stock into what happens on a big stage in the tournament - they said some teams do, but the good teams don't. Of course, the fact that some teams do, and you only need one team to do it, is a factor.

Now, of course, that doesn't mean EVERYONE will be telling Malachi the same thing, but hopefully he gets good advice either way. I believe it's in his best interest to come back, but I think it'll be very enticing for him to leave, and wouldn't blame him if he did.

As for Gbinije, they said they view him as a mid-late second rounder who will probably end up in the D-League, and he'll need to improve significantly in one or two areas (i.e. 3 point shooting) to be able to make it to the NBA. He's just not quite athletic enough, not quite quick enough with the first step, etc... And a lot of that he can't improve much, but if he develops a better outside shot, that could help.

i dont think G will stick around long in nba if he makes it

Agreed - I gave them my take, which I've posted on other threads here, and they agreed. My take was, "That guy has D-League written all over him." The guy who knew him agreed, in, "I love the guy, he's a great kid, but..." fashion.

Hopefully G goes to Europe to play... seems like that would be a more beneficial career for him than slumming it in the D league... but who knows.

Meh--I could easily see him sticking around if he makes it. Players who are versatile like Gbinije can free up a roster spot [or two] by being capable of playing multiple positions. He's got the right size, and he's pretty good at getting to the hole. He needs to improve shooting overall, but there have been lots of players like Gbinije who are successful in the bigs. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see Gbinije stick as a rotation guy.

Hopefully G goes to Europe to play... seems like that would be a more beneficial career for him than slumming it in the D league... but who knows.

Keep in mind, a 2-year veteran would make $25K in the D-League, and ~$50K on a 10-day contract. So a 2-year veteran who gets one team to give him two 10-day contracts makes $125K for the year, plus free housing from the D-League team. There are definitely some better paydays in Europe, but $125K isn't exactly slumming it if you are good enough to get two 10-days. It's a gamble.

Meh--I could easily see him sticking around if he makes it. Players who are versatile like Gbinije can free up a roster spot [or two] by being capable of playing multiple positions. He's got the right size, and he's pretty good at getting to the hole. He needs to improve shooting overall, but there have been lots of players like Gbinije who are successful in the bigs. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see Gbinije stick as a rotation guy.

I just don't think he will be able to get to the hole in the NBA. He's not quite quick enough IMO, and the NBA guys agreed on that. If he can develop a lethal outside shot, that would change the equation.

I had the chance to talk to an NBA scout and a D-League assistant who knows Gbinije, and asked what they thought about all three. The conversation was before the Final Four started, for what it's worth. Obviously, Lydon was pretty emphatic that he's staying, but I hope for his own good he does go through the process just to get the feedback.

They seemed to think Richardson and Lydon shouldn't come out, but that both would have a shot at going in the first round if they did. Richardson, more than Lydon, would have a shot at the first round. Lydon has all the tools but benefits even more than Mal from another year. If they come back, they both have a good shot at being lottery picks in the future. I asked if they thought NBA teams put too much stock into what happens on a big stage in the tournament - they said some teams do, but the good teams don't. Of course, the fact that some teams do, and you only need one team to do it, is a factor.

Now, of course, that doesn't mean EVERYONE will be telling Malachi the same thing, but hopefully he gets good advice either way. I believe it's in his best interest to come back, but I think it'll be very enticing for him to leave, and wouldn't blame him if he did.

As for Gbinije, they said they view him as a mid-late second rounder who will probably end up in the D-League, and he'll need to improve significantly in one or two areas (i.e. 3 point shooting) to be able to make it to the NBA. He's just not quite athletic enough, not quite quick enough with the first step, etc... And a lot of that he can't improve much, but if he develops a better outside shot, that could help.
It's so tough in the NBA. you can be a great college player by being good at everything. but if you're not great at something, you're never going to play in the NBA.

G's best case scenario is Danny Green, IMO, but he really needs to get that 3pt shot to be more consistent and maybe speed up the release a bit.

G has a good shot if he can improve at the same rate he did in college, in the pros (NBA, D-league, Europe)

Keep in mind, a 2-year veteran would make $25K in the D-League, and ~$50K on a 10-day contract. So a 2-year veteran who gets one team to give him two 10-day contracts makes $125K for the year, plus free housing from the D-League team. There are definitely some better paydays in Europe, but $125K isn't exactly slumming it if you are good enough to get two 10-days. It's a gamble.

They really need to pay better salaries in the D League. Nobody can live on $25K a year. That's poverty. You can easily make $100-200K in Europe, get free housing and other benefits.

They really need to pay better salaries in the D League. Nobody can live on $25K a year. That's poverty. You can easily make $100-200K in Europe, get free housing and other benefits.

It's not a full time job. Roster turnover is high. Nobody watches the games. How much do you think they should be paid?

I just don't think he will be able to get to the hole in the NBA. He's not quite quick enough IMO, and the NBA guys agreed on that. If he can develop a lethal outside shot, that would change the equation.
What's funny is that G is much quicker than Mali yet everyone touts Mali's ability to create his own shot as a huge advantage while saying that G is too slow to do the same. Mali has a better set three point shot but G is a much better ball handler, much more explosive attacking the rim, has the potential to be a much better defender because he's quicker and more athletic and he'd better at shooting J's off the bounce yet G is a barely a 2nd rounder while Mali is a lottery pick? I don't understand the NBA or talent evaluators.

And yes I get that its about projection but I don't see how Mali projects into a more explosive athlete than G. Remember Mali had one or two good halves in the tourney... G was doing that for entire games during the season.

It's not really a year, it's 6 months or so. Like you mentioned there is Europe, they choose to be in the D because they're closer to the NBA and even a ten day contract is what they'd make in Europe anyway.

It's not a full time job. Roster turnover is high. Nobody watches the games. How much do you think they should be paid?

They need to be paid more than the equivalent of $12,50 an hour. There should be a salary range of $50-100K and maybe subsidized housing. At least you would be a professional at that level.

They need to be paid more than the equivalent of $12,50 an hour. There should be a salary range of $50-100K and maybe subsidized housing. At least you would be a professional at that level.

You do understand that they have everything else paid for, and that their salary they can basically bank, right?

Being able to save $25K or spend that on whatever you want is the equivalent of making $70-100K in real life, with student loans (which none have), rent, car payments, etc. taking up the bulk of your salary.

You do understand that they have everything else paid for, and that their salary they can basically bank, right?

Being able to save $25K or spend that on whatever you want is the equivalent of making $70-100K in real life, with student loans (which none have), rent, car payments, etc. taking up the bulk of your salary.

Girlfriends = $$$$$$

The d league is not a professional league, it is a developmental league. These guys can bag groceries in the off season. Subsidized housing? Ridiculous

G's best case scenario is Danny Green, IMO, but he really needs to get that 3pt shot to be more consistent and maybe speed up the release a bit.

Thats not a bad scenario at all.

It is going to change.

Not only will the salary on average increase, there will be two-way contracts as well.

The NBA wants guys to stay here instead of going to China and Europe.

I hope he has a long career (somewhere NBA, Europe, whatever he can do). Can anyone see him as a coach once his playing days are over? Seems like a smart, likable guy with some charisma. I could see him on our bench for Hop someday.

What's funny is that G is much quicker than Mali yet everyone touts Mali's ability to create his own shot as a huge advantage while saying that G is too slow to do the same. Mali has a better set three point shot but G is a much better ball handler, much more explosive attacking the rim, has the potential to be a much better defender because he's quicker and more athletic and he'd better at shooting J's off the bounce yet G is a barely a 2nd rounder while Mali is a lottery pick? I don't understand the NBA or talent evaluators.

And yes I get that its about projection but I don't see how Mali projects into a more explosive athlete than G. Remember Mali had one or two good halves in the tourney... G was doing that for entire games during the season.

I get what you are saying about the consistency and overall ball-handling, but Mali has a much quicker first step. G couldn't get by Brogden like Mali did against UVA, and Mali's release is FAR quicker than G's, especially off the dribble. I also think Mali has better lateral quickness, which helps him project as a better defender at the next level. G has great hops, but that's where his athleticism advantage ends.

Richardson would have a shot at the first round.

From what I saw this season, G is more athletic than Richardson. Am I wrong? G also shot .392 from 3 compared to MR's .353.

From what I saw this season, G is more athletic than Richardson. Am I wrong? G also shot .392 from 3 compared to MR's .353.

G is definitely more athletic in the sense of vertical leap, but I would tend to agree with others who say the Mal has a quicker first step and better lateral quickness (although not exceptional lateral quickness).

As for Gbinije, they said they view him as a mid-late second rounder who will probably end up in the D-League, and he'll need to improve significantly in one or two areas (i.e. 3 point shooting) to be able to make it to the NBA. He's just not quite athletic enough, not quite quick enough with the first step, etc...

In that regard, G is the prototypical Orange star: terrific college player who may get a cup of coffee in the NBA if he goes to the league at all.
It's been that way since before Boeheim's head coaching tenure began...going back at least to guys like Rudy Hackett and Jimmy Lee.
To Boeheim's credit, he's developed and won with guys who aren't quite the best of the best athletically or skillwise but whose hard work brought them - and the program - a lot of success.
You could make a pretty long list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom