Targeting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Targeting

The right call. That was a vicious helmet to helmet hit. The slo mo validates it.

What clip or gif are you watching? The helmets never even touch at all. It's shoulder to mid chest at every angle except behind the defender where you can't see at all and if you are making a call from that angle you should be fired as a ref for life.

CuseOnly said:
What clip or gif are you watching? The helmets never even touch at all. It's shoulder to mid chest at every angle except behind the defender where you can't see at all and if you are making a call from that angle you should be fired as a ref for life.

Yeah I don't know what he's talking about but whatever

This was not even close

It's so bad they should have had an NCAA official rule on this at halftime and let him back in...only one game going on and the NCAA has how many employees? One could be on call

Now for 40 years the story of his last game will be...

Everything the NCAA does something they up, it's amazing

His life isn't ruined, but he worked 10 years to have his last game taken away by idiotic adults

That was not targeting. If you have a problem with the hit, then you have a problem with the game and that's another discussion

Those who played a college sport would probably understand

So I'm guessing you feel all political discussions and commentary should only be done by the politicians because most of us have never been in office?

Perhaps erring on the side of the safety of the players and the good of the game is a good thing. But regardless, from where I sit it was justified.

That is an absolutely ridiculous call. And we're all watching a different sport than we were even 5 years ago.

That is an absolutely ridiculous call. And we're all watching a different sport than we were even 5 years ago.

It's definitely different. It's going to keep changing.

When a guy's neck snaps back like that, it's going to be called. I won't judge what I think of it, I'm just saying, it's going to be called. And is going to stand up to the review. Regardless of whether a helmet hit a helmet or not.

I don't think it's going away. People should just be thankful there's a review process. That kept Zaire in a game earlier this year. Kept a player in the game last night during Baylor - UNC after a terrible real time interpretation against Baylor.

When a guy's neck snaps back like that, it's going to be called. I won't judge what I think of it, I'm just saying, it's going to be called. And is going to stand up to the review. Regardless of whether a helmet hit a helmet or not.

I don't think it's going away. People should just be thankful there's a review process. That kept Zaire in a game earlier this year. Kept a player in the game last night during Baylor - UNC after a terrible real time interpretation against Baylor.

You're right that it's not going away, but at what point do they pump the breaks? I don't want to see this sport become of the two-hand touch variety. To be tossed for that? My goodness thats rough.

didn't see it live but the video clip above looks like targeting to me. trying to protect these players. his neck snapped back which could cause serious injury. not sure i understand the argument - receiver was defenseless whether or not the hit was to the head.
Ditch helmets. As strange as it sounds, it's the only way to prevent this.

Sometimes you just can't help it, I think they need to go back and have a clearer definition of what targeting is. What the dbag from Central Michigan did to our qb was targeting, the one in this post is close.

From another angle it looked like he led with the shoulder but still got him simultaneously with the helmet. But still, even though it was close guys should expect these plays to be called. There was no attempt to wrap and tackle the guy. He was simply trying to blow him up

With the way things are trending with concussions I doubt rules on targeting will recede

From another angle it looked like he led with the shoulder but still got him simultaneously with the helmet. But still, even though it was close guys should expect these plays to be called. There was no attempt to wrap and tackle the guy. He was simply trying to blow him up

With the way things are trending with concussions I doubt rules on targeting will recede

The helmets never touch on the initial hit, until the kids head snaps forward and then it barely touches and possibly not at all from where I am seeing it. The defender did everything he could it seems to avoid any "above the shoulders" contact per the rule and still got flagged.

Maybe every level of football should be changed to flag football starting in 2016, then we can move on to watching another sport like soccer or something.

I still do not understand why the guy with the ball can straight arm a defensive player in the face. I know it wasn't this play but if hands to the face is illegal everywhere in the game but not that part of it is beyond me.

I still do not understand why the guy with the ball can straight arm a defensive player in the face. I know it wasn't this play but if hands to the face is illegal everywhere in the game but not that part of it is beyond me.

I agree, just inconsistent.

The targeting rule should be changed to a rule that forbids hits intended to blow a player up rather than wrap and tackle. This play may have been questionable as a strict targeting, however in my opinion was definitely a dangerous and unnecessary blow up hit. You need to all get use to this type of call because for player protection and the survival of the game, the rules are going to have to change. Many will not like this, but the game simply will not exist if kept in its present form.

I usually don't comment on this, but that was a pretty dirty hit, he probably solidified his ejection by standing over the kid like a tough guy. We all have to accept that football is changing, any hit up around the head is going to be treated differently. It looked pretty similar to me like the hit that Dungey took at Central Michigan.

I agree, just inconsistent.

The targeting rule should be changed to a rule that forbids hits intended to blow a player up rather than wrap and tackle. This play may have been questionable as a strict targeting, however in my opinion was definitely a dangerous and unnecessary blow up hit. You need to all get use to this type of call because for player protection and the survival of the game, the rules are going to have to change. Many will not like this, but the game simply will not exist if kept in its present form.
Should they outlaw slant patterns next? I mean 75% of blowing someone up is to dislodge player from ball. The other 25% is bad intentions and the replays should be used to determine that.

Also, when the play is coming at you, like in this play, the ejected linebacker has .5 seconds to react. The day he starts thinking before reacting is the day he gets hurt.

I usually don't comment on this, but that was a pretty dirty hit, he probably solidified his ejection by standing over the kid like a tough guy. We all have to accept that football is changing, any hit up around the head is going to be treated differently. It looked pretty similar to me like the hit that Dungey took at Central Michigan.
Wow. Ok.

Im dumbfounded at how differently so many people can see the same play. This thread is very interesting if nothing else.

Just watched the play. That's football. He clearly let up and didn't launch himself, he had less than a half second to react, and there was no helmet-to-helmet contact. The targetting rules are intended to prevent anything that's helmet-to-helmet and prevent hits that are intentionally high and dangerous. This was neither, and I literally don't see any alternative for the linebacker in that situation.

Player safety is important but you have to allow for players to play the game. That was a clean hit everyway you slice it. It's unfortunate when wide receivers get concussions but A) they know exactly what they're signing up for by playing the sport, and B) penalizing incidental contact isn't going to clean up anything; when players are in situations where they can't physically do anything to avoid hitting the defenseless player up high, there's no behavior to modify by enforcing penalties.

His life isn't ruined, but he worked 10 years to have his last game taken away by idiotic adults

That was not targeting. If you have a problem with the hit, then you have a problem with the game and that's another discussion

Those who played a college sport would probably understand
I think the defensive player being behind him made the play look 20 times worse than if it was just the lineback hitting him. The head snap had to be what made them throw out the flares on that play.

Plays like this, regardless of if the ejection was warranted or not, is why i will not allow my son to play football. The sport has become scary with plays like this. I can't say if the defender was just reacting to the play and tried making a good hit or not, but i will say that regardless of his intentions... i'm not allowing my son ( who is built like a brick shithouse) to play the game.

Plays like this, regardless of if the ejection was warranted or not, is why i will not allow my son to play football. The sport has become scary with plays like this. I can't say if the defender was just reacting to the play and tried making a good hit or not, but i will say that regardless of his intentions... i'm not allowing my son ( who is built like a brick shithouse) to play the game.

The game is no more dangerous now than it was decades ago; the equipment has probably made it safer. The awareness of the dangers of the sport is heightened though, which I would also consider a good thing.

I'm not saying keeping your son out of football is a good or bad decision, but I think it's a decision that should be revisited if your son develops a love for the sport. Football is a team sport like no others, imo, so it has benefits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditch helmets. As strange as it sounds, it's the only way to prevent this.
You are channeling my high school gym teacher. Had us playing lacrosse without helmets until one guy got his front teeth knocked out

Wow. Ok.

Im dumbfounded at how differently so many people can see the same play. This thread is very interesting if nothing else.
you see that as a clean football play, after watching the full clip maybe I jumped the gun a bit saying it was a dirty hit, but that kid was defenseless, any penalty in college like this also goes with an automatic ejection, if they rule that their was no targeting, then no ejection and no penalty. Its a rule that needs to get refined. Im not sure that the kid should have been ejected for that hit, but I have no problem with a 15 yd penalty.

It was nothing like Dungey's hit. Nothing. Whereas Dungey was actually hit in the head, this guy wasn't. The linebacker that hit Dungey started out 3 yards after Dungey had released the ball and was going down, Louisville's linebacker was standing there as the receiver came towards him. the CMU linebacker put his head down and was looking at the turf, Louisville's linebacker turned and hit with his shoulder. Sorry, they're not close.

Targeting calls and non-calls have been all over the place this season.

The UCLA-Nebraska game the other night had a ridiculously bad targeting call too. Textbook wrap up tackles are considered targeting now.

Here's the play from that game.

It was nothing like Dungey's hit. Nothing. Whereas Dungey was actually hit in the head, this guy wasn't. The linebacker that hit Dungey started out 3 yards after Dungey had released the ball and was going down, Louisville's linebacker was standing there as the receiver came towards him. the CMU linebacker put his head down and was looking at the turf, Louisville's linebacker turned and hit with his shoulder. Sorry, they're not close.
yeah they are close, this wasn't as vicious, I'm not gonna argue, it wasn't a clean hit, it's not a football play, maybe not an ejection, but definitely a defenseless player penalty