Taurean Thompson | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

We're stacked for one year. Next year Roberson and likely Lydon will be gone.

He must want to start right away, but it also shows me he's afraid to compete.

absolutely. No way he would beat TROB out, but come on, a hobbled DC and a unproven kid who scored 2 pts a game for Providence. He's not going up against Wilt the stilt here for minutes, and playing at Seton Hall will not get him the experience against the quality big he will face in the ACC. If this is true, that it is all about getting minutes guaranteed, then we shouldn't want him. Shows his work ethic.

absolutely. No way he would beat TROB out, but come on, a hobbled DC and a unproven kid who scored 2 pts a game for Providence. He's not going up against Wilt the stilt here for minutes, and playing at Seton Hall will not get him the experience against the quality big he will face in the ACC. If this is true, that it is all about getting minutes guaranteed, then we shouldn't want him. Shows his work ethic.

Your assessment of Chukwu is totally off base.

Your assessment of Chukwu is totally off base.
RF, Chukwu may turn out to be a great player, but from the perspective of a 17 year old, top 100 player, who should have crazy confidence in himself, PC should not scare you away, for possible minutes. That is, unless you are entitled and want to be handed the job. Understand my perspective for the post, not what was said. Personally I have never seen Chukwu play, but, given what we know now about him, if I am a big man, I don't see getting minutes at Cuse to be impossible year one. Even Hop has said as recently as early April PC has a lot to work on, and with a capable back up, DC was relegated to the bench many times this year.

Signing Thompson was never about the coming season. It was about the seasons after. We still have more than enough Frontcourt depth and the guys we will have on the roster now will improve as always.

Not sure why people are so upset about losing a solid but, unspectacular recruit. He's not a difference maker for us anyway you look at it next year. He'd be the 6th guy in a 6 man front court.

RF, Chukwu may turn out to be a great player, but from the perspective of a 17 year old, top 100 player, who should have crazy confidence in himself, PC should not scare you away, for possible minutes. That is, unless you are entitled and want to be handed the job. Understand my perspective for the post, not what was said. Personally I have never seen Chukwu play, but, given what we know now about him, if I am a big man, I don't see getting minutes at Cuse to be impossible year one. Even Hop has said as recently as early April PC has a lot to work on, and with a capable back up, DC was relegated to the bench many times this year.
Chukwu was a more highly rated prospect in his class than Thompson, and he has had two years of maturity. It would be unreasonable for Thompson to believe he could come in and beat out Chukwu.

Chukwu was a more highly rated prospect in his class than Thompson, and he has had two years of maturity. It would be unreasonable for Thompson to believe he could come in and beat out Chukwu.
I respectfully disagree. Not saying you're wrong about how TT feels. He obviously doesn't see playing time at cuse, and he's probably right, all I was arguing is that in no way, is the C spot solidified to the point where he couldn't come in and surprise. The benefit would be playing against better talent than at Seton Hall, both in practice and conference games. While their HS rankings are fairly close, (given different years) Chukwu 61st and TT 75th, TT also according to ESPN, has a far better set of offers, Arizona, NCSU, Cuse, Temple, Xavier. Who knows if those are real offers or not. However, I also said, if he doesn't have the confidence in himself to beat out the guys in front of him, whether thats realistic or not, and doesn't want to potentially wait 1 year if he can't do just that, so be it. His decision.

BTW, it was never my goal to become the antagonist of this thread. I agree with most that has been said about the situation TT faces at Cuse. My point, was to agree with the poster above who said that screams a lack of confidence in himself, as well as the fear of having to work for your spot, as opposed to it be handed to you. I hate that in everything, including athletics.

Last edited:
You don't ever really want to knock a kid's decision or anything, but considering that he seemed pretty content to commit a while back and held off, if he does end up at a clear second rung team in a lesser conference... I mean, geez.

You don't ever really want to knock a kid's decision or anything, but considering that he seemed pretty content to commit a while back and held off, if he does end up at a clear second rung team in a lesser conference... I mean, geez.
I agree. He has a lot better chance playing immediately at SH than at SU (assuming that's his goal). The questions he needs to answer are.. is playing immediately realistic, and if so, is it worth the price. At his level (good but not a clear one-and-done), it seems to me that the chances of him coming in and dominating right away are slim, even at SH. He'd be better off coming off the bench next season and learning from the SU staff (and more experienced players in front of him), and then sharing minutes at PF and C (probably lots of them) in 2017-18 after DC2 and TR graduate (and Lydon possibly enters the draft). That strategy would allow him to join a national program and play in the country's premiere bb conference, without the pressure to be an instant star. Yes it would take two years, but I think it'll take him two years at SH anyway -- with less exposure and sub-ACC competition. Just my .02.

Last edited:
Seton Hall board says its done and he committed to them. Probably be public very soon. Oh well, come on down Mr Dembele
FYI, the people on the Seton Hall board have changed their tune and now say it is not a done deal. They say he told the Seton Hall coaching staff he was coming and changed his mind when he got back home. They still think he is a strong lean there...

FYI, the people on the Seton Hall board have changed their tune and now say it is not a done deal. They say he told the Seton Hall coaching staff he was coming and changed his mind when he got back home. They still think he is a strong lean there...
Fickle recruiting. He could wind up on the hill this weekend, for all we know.

Last edited:
Cusefan0307 said:
Signing Thompson was never about the coming season. It was about the seasons after. We still have more than enough Frontcourt depth and the guys we will have on the roster now will improve as always. Not sure why people are so upset about losing a solid but, unspectacular recruit. He's not a difference maker for us anyway you look at it next year. He'd be the 6th guy in a 6 man front court.

But he'd be a seasoned PF a year from now when we lose Roberson and likely Lydon. It would nice to have someone with a little experience instead of having to break in a freshman in the front court.

What a freaking Drama Queen this kid is.

I'm not sure this is fair. I really don't know, but I wonder how much of the drama queen stuff is being projected on to him by our own expectations of what he was going to do, or what we think he should do. Even the debate in recent posts show this is a complicated decision for the kid. There is a lot to weigh. The recruitment has gone on a long time, but that doesn't mean he's doing anything wrong (or that SU is doing anything wrong). If you believe everything posted on the internet, he seems genuinely conflicted about what the right course of action is. I don't think that is completely unreasonable. Only thing for us to do is sit back and see what happens.

I'm not sure this is fair. I really don't know, but I wonder how much of the drama queen stuff is being projected on to him by our own expectations of what he was going to do, or what we think he should do. Even the debate in recent posts show this is a complicated decision for the kid. There is a lot to weigh. The recruitment has gone on a long time, but that doesn't mean he's doing anything wrong (or that SU is doing anything wrong). If you believe everything posted on the internet, he seems genuinely conflicted about what the right course of action is. I don't think that is completely unreasonable. Only thing for us to do is sit back and see what happens.
Good take. I get that fans are frustrated that the choice hasn't been as clear cut to him as we'd prefer, but, geez. Stakes are pretty high here for his life, he's a young guy trying to make a big decision, we can afford some benefit of the doubt, and if he ends up picking Seton Hall it's a head scratcher to me for sure, but it comes down to his choice.

Do we really want him now? I personally would rather have Dembele if all his paperwork is in order. Nothing really anything against him. but it has dragged out long enough.
To me, he's a much better prospect for us than Dembele. He's got quite a bit of offensive skill, especially shooting the ball. I think Dembele is 1 maybe 2 years away from contributing. I think Thompson can help us now and be good in 2 years.

We really don't need him to contribute for another year. I will disagree with you on the better prospect. But that is cool on here. I see a guy in Dembele with little time playing ball, some nice moves and can rebound and shoot free throws at I think it was like a 82%. but I likke our debate.

Completely agree, can just take a look at this years transfer list to see how important this decision is and how many kids make a decision that a year or 2 later turned out to be wrong for them.

We really don't need him to contribute for another year. I will disagree with you on the better prospect. But that is cool on here. I see a guy in Dembele with little time playing ball, some nice moves and can rebound and shoot free throws at I think it was like a 82%. but I likke our debate.

I do agree that based off potential as a prospect I'd have Dembele rated above Thompson. Obviously Thompson is more ready to contribute right away. I think looking at the 17/18 season I'd prefer Thompson over Dembele if it came down to that. He can play the 4/5 in our system, if needed he could play right away and he will be an offensive contributor. I don't think it has to be an either or situation though. Heck bring them both in if you can. Dembele could then redshirt. We can still add 3 players. Add a grad guard these two and if Mal doesn't come back you add another grad guard.

Edit: Also I agree with those saying they understand Thompson playing out his recruiting. Is it frustrating for us as fans? Sure, but I don't expect the recruits or their families to care about that. They should be focused on what the best situation is for the kid. Its not an easy decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom