Taurean Thompson | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

Taurean Thompson

A PF spot just opened up on Kentucky's roster

Things that make you go hmmmm.

tumblr_lmfwq2sVhd1qj3tqio1_500.jpg

You must have some hands off parents? I can't imagine allowing my kid(s) to commit that much money, much of it mine, to an endeavor and not being involved in the decision making process. That's not to suggest that I intend to make those decisions for them, but I sure as hell am not going to allow them to make what I believe is a "bad" decision and piss all of that money away. Now who knows what you might consider a bad decision until you are actually faced with it.

Maybe TT's mom is looking at JB's two incidents with infractions, the Bernie Fine situation and whatever else and firmly believes that that isn't the right coach or atmosphere for her kid to be in. People see lots of different things when they look at a situation. When we see JB we see a guy who practically walks on water, that is not everyone's view of him. If she is skeptical of him and SU because of what she (mis)understands about some of those incidents, those (mis) perceptions may be next to impossible to overcome and she maybe absolutely resolute in her belief that its not the right place for her kid.

'Hands off' is probably pretty accurate. That's not to say they didn't care, but I was a good student (top 10% of class, honor student, strong SAT score, all that good stuff) so they trusted me to make the decision. If I chose some hippy dippy liberal arts college, they'd probably have stepped in haha but I couldn't think of any other type of college they'd have an issue with outside of financial considerations. My dad went to the navy instead of college and my mom went to a business college for a few semesters, so they didn't have a whole lot of experience to draw from to guide my decision.

If it's true that TT's mom is steering him away from here, then that's a real shame and it's of my personal opinion that it's not her place to do so. I have no problem with parents providing opinions on the decision. Setting a firm limit that he can't attend certain schools because the mother doesn't like something about them, having presumably no more knowledge available to her than TT does, is something else.

Whether or not an 18 year old is referred to as an adult or a kid depends heavily on the circumstances of the topic. In the case of choosing a college to attend, I'd argue that we're talking about 18 year old adults. Guide them if they get off track, but let them be the driving force behind the decision. In this case, money is not really a consideration, so it's TT who has to live with the decision day-to-day, not his mother.

'Hands off' is probably pretty accurate. That's not to say they didn't care, but I was a good student (top 10% of class, honor student, strong SAT score, all that good stuff) so they trusted me to make the decision. If I chose some hippy dippy liberal arts college, they'd probably have stepped in haha but I couldn't think of any other type of college they'd have an issue with outside of financial considerations. My dad went to the navy instead of college and my mom went to a business college for a few semesters, so they didn't have a whole lot of experience to draw from to guide my decision.

If it's true that TT's mom is steering him away from here, then that's a real shame and it's of my personal opinion that it's not her place to do so. I have no problem with parents providing opinions on the decision. Setting a firm limit that he can't attend certain schools because the mother doesn't like something about them, having presumably no more knowledge available to her than TT does, is something else.

Whether or not an 18 year old is referred to as an adult or a kid depends heavily on the circumstances of the topic. In the case of choosing a college to attend, I'd argue that we're talking about 18 year old adults. Guide them if they get off track, but let them be the driving force behind the decision. In this case, money is not really a consideration, so it's TT who has to live with the decision day-to-day, not his mother.

You must not have kids. A 17 year old kid has close to zero judgment, even the good ones who think they do. they do need guidance if you as a parent have it to give.

You must not have kids. A 17 year old kid has close to zero judgment, even the good ones who think they do. they do need guidance if you as a parent have it to give.

Maybe. Too much hand holding is bad for society IMO. Then you end up with adults who can't make decisions.

I told each of my 3 kids I would pay for college, but I would not pick the school or even tell them which of their choices would be my choice for them. I also told them if they decided they needed to transfer that would be OK with me. No transfers; everybody graduated; everybody has a real job. Of course, I let my kids backpack in Alaska and the Canadian Rockies before they were 18 accompanied only by a slightly older camp camp counselor and friends thought I was crazy for doing that. Not saying my choices are right for everyone and not saying I would have dealt with it differently if I thought I needed to. Everybody and every circumstance is different.

If the coach likes TT that is good enough for me. If the coach is willing to wait, that is good enough for me. If TT picks the Orange, I will be a fan. If not, so be it and good luck to him and his family.

Until I hear the whistle for the first real game of the season and they are on the bench and eligible there are too many other things in life to enjoy or real things to worry about.

I told each of my 3 kids I would pay for college, but I would not pick the school or even tell them which of their choices would be my choice for them. I also told them if they decided they needed to transfer that would be OK with me. No transfers; everybody graduated; everybody has a real job. Of course, I let my kids backpack in Alaska and the Canadian Rockies before they were 18 accompanied only by a slightly older camp camp counselor and friends thought I was crazy for doing that. Not saying my choices are right for everyone and not saying I would have dealt with it differently if I thought I needed to. Everybody and every circumstance is different.

If the coach likes TT that is good enough for me. If the coach is willing to wait, that is good enough for me. If TT picks the Orange, I will be a fan. If not, so be it and good luck to him and his family.

Until I hear the whistle for the first real game of the season and they are on the bench and eligible there are too many other things in life to enjoy or real things to worry about.
Congrats for actually letting your kids be kids and not coddling them like so many parents do nowadays. I bet your kids are upstanding citizens and definitely not entitled like most of my generation and the ones younger than me.

The thing I don't get from people who want us to just walk away is, other than making you feel good, what good does that do?

captain, this is the basketball recruiting board. Not the OT board. I don't remember any mass killings regarding a recruit choosing the wrong school.

It's only a matter of time.

Congrats for actually letting your kids be kids and not coddling them like so many parents do nowadays. I bet your kids are upstanding citizens and definitely not entitled like most of my generation and the ones younger than me.

We raised our son to be an independent person, to think about his choices and to deal with the consequences when he made a poor decision. We also wanted him to learn to pat himself on the back when he made a decision that worked out for him.

Starting at age 15, as long as he didn't put his life or anyone else's in danger, he was allowed to make his own mistakes, short of committing a crime, but including crashing his car, staying out late, etc., spending out his allowance, refusing to take out the garbage, losing something, that kind of stuff. We didn't let him fall through the floor, of course, but he learned that his mistakes were his responsibility.

We understood we were in danger for a few years but the idea was for him to be independent by the time he went off to college. He knew, starting at age 15, that if he wanted to go somewhere pricey, he'd have to make good grades, good test scores and get scholarships. We told him $20K a year was our ceiling of how much we'd contribute.

By the first semester of his senior year in HS, had five schools lined up, all of which were recruiting him to play baseball, so he got money there, and all that would add academic scholarships. And, he got scholarships from his high school. At each of the candidates, all of which had $50K+ sticker prices, he had 85 percent of the price tag covered by scholarships in one form or another.

He brought his options to us and we gave him input but the choice was his because it was him not us who was going to spend the next four years at the place of his choosing. In other words, if he wanted pricey he would have to make up the difference between what it cost and what we paid. If he couldn't do that, then he'd have to pick somewhere less expensive.

IMHO, the process worked as it did because he was raised to be independent from the get go. His goal wasn't to please us but to learn to do what's best for him. In other words, to learn how to think for himself.

As for TT, no one on this board seems to know him or his mother. But if she's doing the steering, IMHO she puts herself squarely in the way of his growing up to be an independent person and to learn to think on his own. Maybe JB would grow him up, maybe not.

We raised our son to be an independent person, to think about his choices and to deal with the consequences when he made a poor decision. We also wanted him to learn to pat himself on the back when he made a decision that worked out for him.

Starting at age 15, as long as he didn't put his life or anyone else's in danger, he was allowed to make his own mistakes, short of committing a crime, but including crashing his car, staying out late, etc., spending out his allowance, refusing to take out the garbage, losing something, that kind of stuff. We didn't let him fall through the floor, of course, but he learned that his mistakes were his responsibility.

We understood we were in danger for a few years but the idea was for him to be independent by the time he went off to college. He knew, starting at age 15, that if he wanted to go somewhere pricey, he'd have to make good grades, good test scores and get scholarships. We told him $20K a year was our ceiling of how much we'd contribute.

By the first semester of his senior year in HS, had five schools lined up, all of which were recruiting him to play baseball, so he got money there, and all that would add academic scholarships. And, he got scholarships from his high school. At each of the candidates, all of which had $50K+ sticker prices, he had 85 percent of the price tag covered by scholarships in one form or another.

He brought his options to us and we gave him input but the choice was his because it was him not us who was going to spend the next four years at the place of his choosing. In other words, if he wanted pricey he would have to make up the difference between what it cost and what we paid. If he couldn't do that, then he'd have to pick somewhere less expensive.

IMHO, the process worked as it did because he was raised to be independent from the get go. His goal wasn't to please us but to learn to do what's best for him. In other words, to learn how to think for himself.

As for TT, no one on this board seems to know him or his mother. But if she's doing the steering, IMHO she puts herself squarely in the way of his growing up to be an independent person and to learn to think on his own. Maybe JB would grow him up, maybe not.
Hats off to you and your wife on a job well done.

Or who perpetrate mass killings when things don't go their way.

Wait, do you mean the recruit is going to do that? Seems to me that the fanbase is about 100x more likely to go nuts if the recruit's decision doesn't go their way. So much irony.

'Hands off' is probably pretty accurate. That's not to say they didn't care, but I was a good student (top 10% of class, honor student, strong SAT score, all that good stuff) so they trusted me to make the decision.

Same here. I don't believe my parents had a single thing to do with my college choices. And, my mother was a counselor at a (different) university. My father made one or two comments suggesting i could consider his alma mater, but that was never a serious thought. Other than that, i had my rationales (however naive) for choosing Syracuse, and the only way my father factored into it was dealing with the question of cost.

I really don't think this kid could help us this year. Lydon is so much better and could be seen as such a year ago.

I really don't think this kid could help us this year. Lydon is so much better and could be seen as such a year ago.
You're missing the big picture.

I'm with cuseguy. You're correct in the fact that TT won't be a huge impact for us this year most likely with our depth at the 4 and 5 positions. However, that depth is almost all gone next year -- Robey and DC graduating and Lydon almost certainly leaving for the NBA. That leaves us with a lone returning big man of PC. Getting TT here this year will give him a year to learn and develop and then for his sophomore year, be ready to be a (hopefully) big time contributor. Our team in general next year will be very young regardless, but if we don't get TT now, that scholly most likely be filled next year by a freshman. Having a year experience in the zone will be big and that's where TT will really help us.

You are right that if we don't get him, it won't really change our outlook for this year. But next year, his sophomore season, is when we could really use him

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom