Class of 2016 - TE Chris Clark to Pitt | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 TE Chris Clark to Pitt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. But you have to start somewhere. And he's starting by building up the quality of the players right now. You aren't going to jump from crappy 2-star recruits to nothing but 5-star recruits overnight. You have to lay the foundation first.
And our best case baseline is Top 35 ranking with an occasional Top 25

This isn't basketball

Alsacs said:
I didn't take any offense to your response. I made a statement and you responded fairly. I have no problem with differences of opinions on these that are subjective. I was just letting you know I read to your letter and don't think recruiting has been good enough to call a strength.

Recruiting the best QB since McNabb = not a strength.

Okaaaaayyy

I'd just like to point out: people seem to think we're done recruiting in 2016, with this attitude. We're still heavily involved with some high 3 star guys as well as some 4 star guys. And we're involved with a BUNCH of 4 star guys in 2017. At this point, if he were deciding today, I think we'd land 4-star WR Anthony White, to go along with 4-star WR Daewood Davis who, oh yeah, is already a commit. Recruiting is absolutely, unquestionably improving.
This might be off base, but these kids are all hooked into social media. Some of them actually use it to recruit other guys into the program. I wonder if someone used it to discourage potential recruits from coming. Something about Shafer's comment about needing help in 2016 and not waiting for 2017 makes me a little suspicious.

phil77 said:
I think the players you are talking about are solid players and considerably better than what we had during our big east time but outside of maybe Dungey (if he can stay healthy) I don't see any first team all ACC players. I think they are ACC players and can start on ACC teams but they aren't unique all world talent. Again outside of Dungey they are not program changing talent. They are ACC starters which isn't a bad thing at all. Are they way above anything we have had recently at Syracuse of course. Are they way above anything else in the ACC not really. We were told by you RW was that kind of talent. Program changing all ACC type talent. Clark a 5 star recruit seems in the same mold. But these are players turned away for "culture" reasons. I am not sure we are in position to turn that kind of talent away for "culture" reasons when the culture is looking at back to back 3-9 seasons. Really when will we start seeing the difference in wins and losses?

I don't know. Soon? I mean we've been in close freaking games all year (USF was a clustf)...

Ugh. Why can't we have nice things? Building a "culture"? I want to win Fing football games! Shafer took RW and CC, knowing there were issues, and now neither is a fit? I'm sure the SEC isn't concerned about "culture". And, from what I read on here, apparently there is a current team member who doesn't fit the "culture", but he is on the team.? Rant over. I'm going to get a snickers bar now

This might be off base, but these kids are all hooked into social media. Some of them actually use it to recruit other guys into the program. I wonder if someone used it to discourage potential recruits from coming. Something about Shafer's comment about needing help in 2016 and not waiting for 2017 makes me a little suspicious.
Just to clarify, Shafer never commented about that. He can't really comment about it. That was speculation by Skowt.

anyone who is out of sorts with the staff about this: Clark is a drama queen, we are the fourth school he has committed to, and he has already left one school after one game. I was happy when we got him, not shocked about this at all. Next.

anyone who is out of sorts with the staff about this: Clark is a drama queen, we are the fourth school he has committed to, and he has already left one school after one game. I was happy when we got him, not shocked about this at all. Next.
This is how I feel. I felt that when we accepted the offer, the staff looked in to the issues and talked with him and felt comfortable enough to accept his commitment. The fact that they have now decided not to accept the commitment and that there is new information that they have learned about, makes me comfortable in letting him go and not thinking twice. It would be nice to have a 5 star tight end, but not worth it to get a 5 star headache or disruption to chemistry.

Reminds me of a woman I used to know.

She liked to say "I do".

Only she never did.

Finwad32 said:
The only thing you're going to hear through the media is rhetoric. This staff publicly acknowledged this commitment and then hyped it. What does that tell you about the last 2 weeks? I have an inkling to believe something has occurred. The staff wouldn't have been on board with this before if they were wavering internally. Think about it.
I have it on good authority that he killed a man in Reno. Just to watch him die.

dasher said:
What? Why should we not be surprised? This is a stunning development.
Maybe he gets a lot of concussions falling out of bed?

Holy drama. Not surprised, though. Playing one game and losing a year because you're homesick never sounded right. He either has some issues, or he's just soft.

I'm more disappointed in the staff for, apparently, not fully vetting him.

Here's the problem - given that we've pulled the plug on our two highest rated recruits, I'm not sure what to think when it comes to our involvement with elite talents anymore. My base assumption is they're shaky.

I'd rather my base assumption with high profile recruits is just that they're going to be awesome. We haven't even gotten these commits on campus.

Here's the problem - given that we've pulled the plug on our two highest rated recruits, I'm not sure what to think when it comes to our involvement with elite talents anymore. My base assumption is they're shaky.

I'd rather my base assumption with high profile recruits is just that they're going to be awesome. We haven't even gotten these commits on campus.

Well the drama queens didn't even consider coming here a few years ago, so that has to be a positive right? Maybe we'll move past the drama queen underbelly of 4 and 5 stars and start landing the quality ones.

I think this decision takes balls to make IMO. Shafer has a plan for his personnel and he sticks to it, for better for worse. I can appreciate that.
That's a good comment. Here is a head coach who may or may not be given a new contract when the time comes and he sticks to his principle. Not that I think any one was questioning HCSS's character but there is a lot about him to like. I'm not sure every head coach has those same morals.

It comes down to the chicken and the egg. We used to get those kind of recruits. Of course we used to win more also. This year would have been a great year to put up seven or so wins with the way the schedule set up. Oh well. Back to the drawing board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom