Class of 2015 - TE/DE Jake Pickard (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 TE/DE Jake Pickard (NJ) Signed LOI

Nice! Was feeling optimistic earlier in the week and reading the tea leaves. Go Cuse! Big pickup. And screw Michigan. Their program is in such dire straits that they had to pay $8M a year to a head coach to fix it.

Hell yea bro
images

This is great News…..Again!!!! When have we had a two day span like this? Two kids…who many thought were gone…to the Big Boys….realized…..That Syracuse is one of the big Boys! I have been saying this for sometime and I feel the need to repeat it again: Syracuse has a great football history. New York City is one of the media centers of the free world. The media is just waiting for Syracuse Football to become relevant again…..and when it does, those players responsible for that success, will be media darlings…. Young talented players should want to be a part of that. Steven Clark, Pickard, and the rest of those guys that will sign to play defense, you are well on your way to creating something special. Now, the offense needs to sign the same type of impact players…..Go Cuse…….

Millville's Jake Pickard commits to Syracuse amidst Wisconsin coaching changes
-c9e99d807881451c.jpg

Sr. Millburn DE Jake Pickard with the Syracuse family (Photo courtesy of Pickard, used with permission)
Todderick Hunt | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
By Todderick Hunt | NJ Advance Media
on January 30, 2015 5:45 PM

Jake Pickard, the 6-5, 230-pound defensive end from Millville (N.J.), has switched his commitment from Wisconsin to Syracuse amidst coaching changes in Madison.
"It was a lot of things," said Pickard, a member of the NJ.com Top 50. "It was how close they are to home, but what it really boiled down to is the people there and what I think I can accomplish there because the staff is one of the greatest I've ever seen.
"And at the end of the day, they are also just great people as opposed to just a great staff and the players are amazing. And just really the whole atmosphere around Cuse, it just felt like the right place for me."
Although Pickard won't end up a Badger, he still has respect for the program as well as the multiple others who thought enough of him to extend scholarship offers.
"I will always be grateful for all the opportunities, everyone else who offered me, but specifically Wisconsin," he said. "They have a great program there and they are gonna be doing great things. But after the coaching change, I really just went back to Syracuse and looked at what I value most — the proximity to my house — and it was just so easy for me to get to my official.
"I flew up, my parents drove up and it wasn't an issue," Pickard continued. "My family has really been a part of this whole process, so when it came down to it, that was one of the things that influenced my decision. But also just the people there."
The first-team All-Group 4 defender explained his role in his future defense.
"They want me at strong defensive end," said Pickard. "We're gonna have the 4-3, 3-4 set and I'm just excited to get in there and do whatever needs to be done. Just get me on the field as soon as I'm ready, hopefully sooner rather than later, they said."
Despite recently receiving a Michigan offer, Pickard took the challenge to help catapult a Syracuse defense that experienced vast success in 2014.
"They had a very, very good defense," said Pickard. "They are one of only four defenses to allow less than 10 rushing touchdowns, so I'm just excited to join that and help push the defense to new levels. And hopefully our offense follows suit and we are able to land an ACC championship."
Pickard is the third player from New Jersey's 2015 recruiting class currently committed to Syracuse, joining South Brunswick athlete Dontae Strickland and Don Bosco cornerback Daivon Ellison.

Big time get!!! HCSS and staff starting to get their type of players for their system that will tear up the ACC!!

Coach A needs a bigggg raise.

I know a writer for 247. Wont say what team. When we talked about our staff, he was putting down acosta. This was after we landed strickland and kelly so i was like really? He said acosta didnt win a game as a high school coach one year. well, how you like them apples?

"They want me at strong defensive end," said Pickard. "We're gonna have the 4-3, 3-4 set and I'm just excited to get in there and do whatever needs to be done. Just get me on the field as soon as I'm ready, hopefully sooner rather than later, they said."
Despite recently receiving a Michigan offer, Pickard took the challenge to help catapult a Syracuse defense that experienced vast success in 2014.
"They had a very, very good defense," said Pickard. "They are one of only four defenses to allow less than 10 rushing touchdowns, so I'm just excited to join that and help push the defense to new levels. And hopefully our offense follows suit and we are able to land an ACC championship."
Pickard is the third player from New Jersey's 2015 recruiting class currently committed to Syracuse, joining South Brunswick athlete Dontae Strickland and Don Bosco cornerback Daivon Ellison.

Anyone else catch that tidbit? Makes sense given the LB numbers we have and the versatility on the line.

B8od-VTIEAA6ZQO.jpg

Previous
Next
  • 2:45 PM - 30 Jan 2015 · Details
    ' data-you-follow="true" data-screen-name="JakePickard2015" data-user-id="1542386551" data-has-native-media="true" data-card-type="photo" data-has-cards="true">
    Jake Pickard ‏@JakePickard2015 21s21 seconds ago
    Honored to announce my Commitment to Syracuse University!!
    1f34a.png

OMG - I'm speechless - this just such a HUGE recruiting class with Pickard now on DL as the OL.

Amazing - can't wait to be in the Loudhouse with these kids terrorizing opponents with our attacking D! Lock the doors to the Dome indeed!

Welcome to SU Mr Pickard! Go Cuse!

Last edited:
Congrats to Jake and his family. Coach Shafer and his band of brothers is reaching kids at a level that matters. These guys are building lives not just football players and it is showing. Couldnt be prouder of the staff and of Jake for going with his heart and brain. He truly has a chance to be our next NFL success. What a great addition to our team and school. Awesome!!