Teams to root for in the postseason? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Teams to root for in the postseason?

I like cheering for teams from non power conferences especially those that have a good coach, have had a good program, and play an entertaining brand of basketball.

I also tend to heavily cheer on individual games based on hate. Who ever plays Duke, Kentucky...

But I will definetely be cheering for Gonzaga in the tournament
- Mark Few is a great coach, and seems like a good guy as well. I think he is running a fairly clean ship out there, and he has worked hard to develop an international reputation.
- Play an interesting brand of basketball - good ball movement, they are not going to run the clock.
- The program has always supported and grown Canadians - Rob Sacre, Kevin Pangos, Kelly Olynyk, Kyle Wiltjer.

They have actually ran into some tough lock since there magical runs at the beginning of the century.

I'm with you, this may be the best team they've ever had. Still, they don't get enough games against top competition, so we'll see. Got my Gonzaga tee ready to go!

Neither did George Mason, VCU, Butler (x2), or Wichita St when they made the final four.

Given that 5 teams that don't really play anybody after January 1 have been able to make it to the final four in the past 9 tournaments I don't buy that Gonzaga can't make the final four due to lack of opposition, especially when they were probably better than all of those teams in the regular season probably a handful of times.

There definetely is something going on because they have been playing under their seed for the most part since those magical runs.

From what I understand Few has never defined team success and how he communicates it to his kids in terms of tourney success. Maybe does not create enough pressure?

For: Temple. My son is a frosh there. They hurt my eyes though, and they're playing their way into the NIT. It's a completely new experience for me to root for anyone not named Syracuse.

Against: Pretty much everybody, with strong emphasis on Nova (Yeah, Jay is great. F Nova.) Georgetown, Pitt, UCon

Meh: UNC, Duke, UVA

I'm surprised (in a good way) that many here really have teams still to root for in the tourney. That's awesome. However, for me, I just don't no matter how hard I try. I have one team and one team only which is a team that resides in upstate NY and wears orange. ;)

I want every team in the tournament to lose... all of 'em! Unfortunately, that can't happen - although I'm still hoping that there is a chance I could be wrong.
I'm also surprised to see how many putting Duke on their list. All I say to that is... :vomit:
I would love nothing more than to see them exit out early AGAIN in the first round (or I'll take second round if need be). Coach K may be a great guy, but that doesn't erase the fact that it's still Dook.

There are teams that don't bother me (i.e. Gonzaga) so seeing them win wouldn't be a big deal. However, I can't say that I will be rooting for them unless they are facing Duke, Kentucky or one of my other favorites.

I'd be happy to see Wisconsin win it. They have a big loyal fanbase in both football and basketball, but never can seem to get over the hump in either. Bo Ryan is an excellent coach who I'd like to see get a title.

Reactions: cto
And I think we can all agree that it would be wonderful if somehow UConn morphed into a superpower beginning in the AAC tournament, went on a 10 game winning streak, and got their 5th title. I'd be so happy for them.

Anyone against Kentucky.
Anyone against Duke (K is great, I hate their fans)
Anyone against Georgetown
Anyone against Uconn in the CBI/NIT

I'll root for UVA.

Uva hasn't won anything non-lax related in like ever, I believe. So I wouldn't care if they win. Their coach seems all right, and to my knowledge non of their players are 'bags.
Au contraire, mon ami! In addition to both men's and women's lacrosse titles, there have been NCAA championships in men's soccer (seven since 1989 with the most recent being 2009 & 2014) and men's tennis won it all in 2013 after being the national runner-up in both 2011 & 2012. The baseball team has been to three of the last five College World Series, losing the finals in a three game series to Vanderbilt last year. Women's rowing won the team championships in 2010 & 2012 with individual event titles being a bit too numerous to list. In fact, since the first round of expansion, UVa has won more ACC championships, each year, than any other school in the conference, if I am not mistaken (although I am not completely certain about 2013 & 2014). You are right in saying that our coach "seems all right" and "non [sic] of their players are 'bags'." I have no idea if this will alter your attitude in the upcoming tournament, but I thought you'd like to know. :)

I forgot to add that Virginia has finished 4th, 15th, 20th, 7th, 3rd, & 8th in the Director's Cup standings the last six years.

Last edited:
Reactions: cto
Au contraire, mon ami! In addition to both men's and women's lacrosse titles, there have been NCAA championships in men's soccer (seven since 1989 with the most recent being 2009 & 2014) and men's tennis won it all in 2013 after being the national runner-up in both 2011 & 2012. The baseball team has been to three of the last five College World Series, losing the finals in a three game series to Vanderbilt last year. Women's rowing won the team championships in 2010 & 2012 with individual event titles being a bit too numerous to list. In fact, since the first round of expansion, UVa has won more ACC championships, each year, than any other school in the conference, if I am not mistaken (although I am not completely certain about 2013 & 2014). You are right in saying that our coach "seems all right" and "non [sic] of their players are 'bags'." I have no idea if this will alter your attitude in the upcoming tournament, but I thought you'd like to know. :)

I forgot to add that Virginia has finished 4th, 15th, 20th, 7th, 3rd, & 8th in the Director's Cup standings the last six years.

Oh then forget it. I hate you guys.

My plan:
- anyone playing Kentucky
- anyone playing Georgetown
- anyone playing UConn (oh wait, they probably aren't in the field hahaha)
- any basketball school playing a traditional football power (hey you're good in football don't be a hog)
- any mid major (except maybe Butler) playing a ranked P5 school (except for UVA)
- anyone playing Notre Dame (until they join ACC in football) also see bullet #4 above
- anyone playing a school that is competing with us for a high level recruit

hope that will keep me occupied for 2-3 weeks in March.

I've watched any UAlbany games on ESPN3 all season; fun team that could pull an upset if they win the America East tourney. My niece graduated from St John's and is a big fan, so I've been watching their games and rooting for them; it's been fun talking with her about basketball this season. I'm living in Wisconsin and I'm surrounded by Badger fans; I'd like to see them make the championship game because it would be a party atmosphere here.

It's still nothing like rooting for Syracuse :(

UNCW and Buffalo.

UNCW is in the middle of a 4 way cluster F tie for 1st in the CAA.
Buffalo is holding their own playing for a bye into their tourn.

UNCW once the premiere program in the CAA has stunk the past 3 or 4 years but has done a complete 180 with new coach Keats and a more up tempo game.

Buffalo still has whiny beotch, Hurly, but might have the game to play in the MAAC champ game.

Given that I still like Duke. Jahlil is great and a great person and the team is likeable.

Let's just win out the rest of the games. Let Christmas leave on the highest note possible and eagerly await this coming November.
(I can't believe its almost March already)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom