Tennessee Postgame Luau | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Tennessee Postgame Luau

I’m encouraged because I thought getting stomped from the jump was possible since this is the first real team Cuse has faced.

However, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a team step out of bounds under minimal pressure 5 times in a game like the Vols did. This could have been a stomping much earlier.

SU has no stars, but some play too much like they think they are. We did some good things today, but shot selection is horrible. This team can’t play zone unless McCloud is in the game. Our guards never ONCE drove and found an open man. JJ threw it to the opposite corner once to Bell, but JJ and Mintz are black holes. Noone cuts to the basket without the ball. I’m not sure after four games what our purpose is on offense. It’s just like playing pickup. No roles defined or putting the right people in pick and roles. Offense is just a mess.

Some here need some perspective. This Cuse team got blown out by a mid Illinois team last year and now they’ve show they’re capable of playing close with the #7 in the nation for 37 minutes. We’re moving in the right direction.

Flashed for a while but this young team will have some growing pains. Game was a lot closer than the final score.
NCAA resume will see this as a 17 point blowout. Not sure how that is construed as a moral victory or why SU fans have resigned themselves to moral victories.

good game??

not how I would describe that

it was competitive
Competitive=good

Doesn’t always have to be pretty. Is a beautiful blow out better for you?

If JJ sits who starts? He’s the second best option.
Yup I don’t have an answer for that either hahah. I think the best option is Judah, bell, Taylor, Benny, and one of the bigs but against teams with smaller faster guards that won’t work out. We’re going to have to be very matchup specific in some areas which isn’t good for our specific circumstances. we have a new HC who seemingly and isn’t that unexpectedly having growing pains learning the ropes.

This season is a failure if we don't dance. We just went blow for blow with one of the best teams in the country.

Fighting back after going down double digits is really impressive. Go Purdue right now and we can beat the Zags tomorrow. Them and UCLA are very winnable games. Need to win tomorrow so we have two chances to start to build a resume.
2-0 the rest of the way changes the trajectory of the entire season.

This season is a failure if we don't dance. We just went blow for blow with one of the best teams in the country.

Fighting back after going down double digits is really impressive. Go Purdue right now and we can beat the Zags tomorrow. Them and UCLA are very winnable games. Need to win tomorrow so we have two chances to start to build a resume.
Blow for blow? I didn’t think for a second we could take control of this and win.

A quick observation, we need to involve Taylor early in the offense. He rebounded awesome, but he needs shots. Need a second shooter on this squad besides Bell.
Eh, "needs shots" is relative. If they are guarding him tight he shouldn't be shooting. Main issue is we have 3 forwards on the team and none of them are legit threats to create. Moore and Freeman do not play that position, they're not gonna fix that next year so we need portal help. I might be able to live with Red's coaching deficiencies but only if he elevates the talent level back to the golden years.

Seems like the same rebounding issues as many years past plus lack of outside shooting will be our undoing. More athletic team than the last few that JB trotted out there of course, but this fix won’t happen in one year, have to upgrade the talent overall. Plus Red needs to get comfortable as HC. This feels like a .500 type of team but they didn’t embarrass themselves by any means today

Good game from Benny and Mcleod.

(two of bennys fouls came with a guy driving out of control down the lane. That shouldnt be rewarded. then brown+Judah get two reaching fouls when the ball wasnt even moving in their hands which led to 5 first half minutes., jj gets slapped in the face with a follow through makes the layup down 5 with a few minutes left, and doesnt get an and one. It is what it is, sometimes that's the way games go.

my 3 takeaways.
1.Both teams shot under 35% with 7 minutes left tough to lose a game like that and no 10-0 run.
2.Judah doesn't make offense happen without the ball enough. Which is fine in the second half not the first.
3. Copeland has to be up top with the ball not in the corner as a shooter. He got stripped once in garbage time Ill give that a pass.

Last edited:
Didn’t like the effort today. I was not impressed with red today. This team still lacks the basics like they did with years prior. Too many turnovers. Missing foul shots left and right.
Opposite here I thought the staff were great from sitting up close and why it wasn’t a route early. Hung in there most of the game with JJ and Judah off.

Competitive=good

Doesn’t always have to be pretty. Is a beautiful blow out better for you?
i think calling that good is indicative of how far this program has fallen more than anything

all of sudden the options are a 17 point shellacking or a beautiful blowout? really?

tennessee played poorly

they lose to most top 50 teams if they play like that, imo

it was an objectively horrible game of basketball

SU shot 35% for the game and 47% from FT

horrible play

good effort on defense (mostly)

curse of tiki mayben

7da0ca68966216db82d186287f9600e6--vintage-tiki-vintage-travel.jpg

Also remember: this season is building blocks for the future. Hoping to make the tourney this year and talent boost next year with two legit studs coming in.

Red's first four games I think the team has very few positives and lots of questions:

Positives :

Team seems to play hard most if not all the game
M2M defense seems to be at worst solid right now

Negatives/Questions

Selfish on offense
Low basketball IQ as a team
Lack basic fundamentals
Players don't know roles or are allowed to play outside of role
Rotations aren't sharp
Use of zone seems strange
Use of the press seems strange
Use of timeouts

I like that the team is playing super hard for Red but he has a much bigger learning curve on coaching than I expected. I expect someone sitting on the bench for as long as Red did he would have some of those things cleaned up.

i think calling that good is indicative of how far this program has fallen more than anything

all of sudden the options are a 17 point shellacking or a beautiful blowout? really?

tennessee played poorly

they lose to most top 50 teams if they play like that, imo

it was an objectively horrible game of basketball

SU shot 35% for the game and 47% from FT

horrible play

good effort on defense (mostly)
Sorry we couldn’t go from a .500 team to a top 10 quality team in 1 offseason.

Can not win when your star point guard goes to the beach early in the first half. Again, no offense strategy evident other than drive and shoot and let Bell shoot (which is good when he is on). Bennie did well for a bit, seem like almost everyone with exception of Bennie, Bell and Starling were c o l d in the first half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom