Tennessee's Offense` | Syracusefan.com

Tennessee's Offense`

texascpa

Living Legend
Sure looked like a lot of Read Option last night. Looks like more schools are starting to employ it. Even UConn looked to be trying some hurry-up read option, but their line was putrid and couldn't execute it well.

I thought the whole Tennessee team looked more like a mid-level team than a top 10 team, not clear on whether Tennessee was that bad or Appalachian State was that good. I agree, they looked like they want to hurry up the game. Not every system is designed to play a hurry up game and as we have seen, not every team is conditioned to do such. This raises an interesting debate point that will probably only be answered in full by years of data:
Namely, are we seeing the end of an era where the bigger the better, the stronger the better is gone? Is speed completely doing away with the upper limits of size and strength? (Not to imply size and strength don't matter, just that Speed will be priority 1 with size and strength priority 1.1 and 1.2)

I thought the whole Tennessee team looked more like a mid-level team than a top 10 team, not clear on whether Tennessee was that bad or Appalachian State was that good. I agree, they looked like they want to hurry up the game. Not every system is designed to play a hurry up game and as we have seen, not every team is conditioned to do such. This raises an interesting debate point that will probably only be answered in full by years of data:
Namely, are we seeing the end of an era where the bigger the better, the stronger the better is gone? Is speed completely doing away with the upper limits of size and strength? (Not to imply size and strength don't matter, just that Speed will be priority 1 with size and strength priority 1.1 and 1.2)

I agree that they aren't close to Top 10. Just another case of SEC-bias. But, App St. is good, very good. They were 11-2 last year and if they had a better passing quarterback would have probably won that game going away.

Maybe we need to temper our expectations a bit as well...that game was a wake up call for me. Tennessee is supposed to have this potent offense and they looked terrible. Now "everyone" is expecting us to score 40 a game and I'm sure we'll have some games like that as well.

I thought Tennessee looked very very average. Tennessee's going to struggle this year.

From the eyeball test AppSt was the better football team.

App St's defense was gassed in the 4th. They didn't have the depth to keep up. Definitely outplayed Tenn for most of the game.

While they may have been tired they did what we have struggled to do over the last few years against good teams, they got a stop the last 2 time Tennessee had the ball and put themselves in a position to win on their last 2 drives. In OT they made the play to force the fumble but that's where the fatigue was evident, the App St guys had nothing left, they struggled to get after the ball while Hurd came diving in to grab the ball. Passing game is where App St had their problems (In addition to FG/PAT).

I would say that Tennessee has a better oline and probably better receivers but we have the better QB. Dobbs didn't really impress me... He never went through his reads unless he had a completely pocket, slightest sign of pressure and he took off.

I didn't watch the game, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were looking ahead. We'll know soon enough.

Their schedule couldn't be more front loaded. After Oct 15, they'll coast.

They gained a lot of respect from the football world for last night.
Just reminded the college football world of what they did to Michigan like 8 years ago.

The best way to neutralize a talent difference is through confusion and exhaustion. So yeah, I think speed, speed of game, and conditioning are the new normal. 2 of 3 of those are completely in your control.

App St. fans are a bunch of classless hicks that are right out of the movie "Deliverance". I speak from first-hand experience with them at the FCS Championship game in Chattanooga few years back. Their abhorrent behavior included their fans in the stands spitting on the opposition marching band as they entered the stadium.

Well, we will know for certain how good the Vols are very quickly.

vs. Virginia Tech (at Bristol Speedway)
Ohio

and then...

Florida
@ Georgia
@ Texas A&M
Alabama
@ South Carolina

I didn't watch the game, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were looking ahead. We'll know soon enough.

Their schedule couldn't be more front loaded. After Oct 15, they'll coast.

Sort of waiting for Tennessee to wake up and it never happened. Figured with the athletes they have the offense would eventually take over and yet the offense was pretty bad. 319 yards. The QB is nothing special. I know it’s just the first game but I think that offense struggles all season. #9 team is a stretch.

I liked their defense.

For what it's worth, I would take App State straight up on a neutral field right now vs. every team in the ACC except for Clemson, FSU, Louisville and possibly UNC/Miami.

App St. fans are a bunch of classless hicks that are right out of the movie "Deliverance". I speak from first-hand experience with them at the FCS Championship game in Chattanooga few years back. Their abhorrent behavior included their fans in the stands spitting on the opposition marching band as they entered the stadium.

What you are really saying is that they would be a perfect travel partner for WVU, correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom