Texas A&M boosters paying $30M NIL | Syracusefan.com

Texas A&M boosters paying $30M NIL

For the nations #1 recruiting class, it will cost you $30M.

It’s legal under the new rules but how can most team compete against that? It was always funny but really ridiculous now if you hear someone say scholar athlete.

Cuse

For the nations #1 recruiting class, it will cost you $30M.

Those boosters are gonna want return on their investment. Four losses and players opting out of bowl games isn’t going to sustain that sort of structure.

It’ll take time to shake out but most of the schools setting up stuff like this aren’t gonna be happy with the results, which will put some interesting pressure on coaches and administrations.

Right, the sooner it happens the better. Let the sec suck up the 1000 best kids in the country. everyone else fights for the remainder of kids out there and the initial best 1000 kids who eventually end up in transfer portal because they want to play.
Also it's good for the money to be going to the student-athlete.

I can’t wait to see how some of these nil contracts are structured. When the star qb doesn’t deliver or gets recruited over by next hot recruit does the money still flow. Most importantly I can’t wait until w-2 are sent out, having to file taxes and the shock of having to pay because withholdings were not correct

I can’t wait to see how some of these nil contracts are structured. When the star qb doesn’t deliver or gets recruited over by next hot recruit does the money still flow. Most importantly I can’t wait until w-2 are sent out, having to file taxes and the shock of having to pay because withholdings were not correct
NIL deals are not permitted to be contingent on a player's on field performance.

NIL deals are not permitted to be contingent on a player's on field performance.
Didn’t know that. Interesting. So a recruit can cash a check based on coming out of high school performance and then take a second bite during the transfer portal or grad transfer process?

Didn’t know that. Interesting. So a recruit can cash a check based on coming out of high school performance and then take a second bite during the transfer portal or grad transfer process?
Seems so. They can only be compensated for use of their name, image, and likeness. The deals aren't allowed to have strings attached beyond that. No performance incentives or playing requirements. It ceases to be NIL at that point.

I wish this so called alliance would try and add the B12 and cut the SEC out. No games with SEC teams in any sport. To include bowl games, college World Series, water polo or whatever. I know it won’t happen but it should.

This is what I mean when I say that this is a very serious problem for Syracuse. I am not sure we will survive it. The SEC is going to take over.
This has been happening for years, the SEC is already in charge, and we’ll survive. It’s just out in the open now.

It will end with some weird 15 team “premiere” league model. I don’t pay that much attention to those teams now - I won’t then.

“Multi-year contract.” That’s the operative phrase in that article. This is players being paid to play. Which means, of course… this is income. It’s taxable. Making their scholarship money likely taxable too.

I’ve said it too many times on here. I hate where college sports is headed. Heck, not headed… we’re there.

Common sense says otherwise. A kid signs an endorsement deal for his freshman year. He gets buried on the depth chart. He doesn't get offered a deal for the next year.

The problem with this system now is similar to when NBA rookies were signing ginormous contracts that dwarfed that of veterans. Completely unproven guys are going to cash in, some will think they've "made it" and get lazy on both the practice field and classroom, and they'll throw away a great opportunity athletically and academically.

I've seen lots of people talk about how these "kids" are immature and need to be given a pass when they screw up. Now we're expecting them to be mature enough to handle sudden 6 and 7 figure paydays. There is something to be said for delayed gratification.

This has been happening for years, the SEC is already in charge, and we’ll survive. It’s just out in the open now.

It will end with some weird 15 team “premiere” league model. I don’t pay that much attention to those teams now - I won’t then.
It hasn't been happening like this. The rules suppressed things somewhat. It'll be the wild west now at least for a while.

Maybe. Some contracts might be exclusive.

Almost seems weird that we have a campaign to raise $150M to build a shiny new facility.

Maybe it should be a campaign to raise $150M to give to recruits over the next several years.

I hope we're not more behind than we think. Will the facilities be important to the college football recruit of the roaring 20s? Or will cold hard cash.

Last edited:
“Multi-year contract.” That’s the operative phrase in that article. This is players being paid to play. Which means, of course… this is income. It’s taxable. Making their scholarship money likely taxable too.

I’ve said it too many times on here. I hate where college sports is headed. Heck, not headed… we’re there.
yep, and its why I've nearly completely checked out interest wise for anything not Syracuse. Used to care to care to note when the games were on (this bowl season for ex.), not anymore.

Even with us and our games my urgency to make sure I miss nothing, catch every game, know when we're on etc. is waning fast, very fast. And I'll end this post by saying get off my lawn and who moved my friggin cheese...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom