Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

FSU and Clemson academics aren't bad at all. The other four schools are certainly a decent amount better but we aren't Louisville...
Agree. I know Clemson has an excellent Engineering program. Living in Atlanta, GT has the best Engineering program but Clemson and Auburn put out some really good Engineers based on my experience.

5hau6s.jpg
I thought it was Steve Barnes from Bain who donated all the coin to the new Archbold.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out. But I know the Pac 12 will be a player here. Their desire to expand further into the central time zone all but assures that.
Is there a desire to expand into the Central Time Zone, or to expand by luring Texas and Oklahoma, who happen to be in the CTZ?

The Pac 12 has long history of making dumb decisions, but the incremental financial value of adding mediocre schools in tiny markets, 1,500 miles away, is not large.

Are we a good academic school anymore? The rankings say we're essentially moving towards a more mediocre academic standing with our admittance rate at 44% now (ironic).

I think BC's admittance is hovering in the low 20s now. I wish we would pick a lane either academics or athletics. Feel like we're in no man's land.

Are we a good academic school anymore? The rankings say we're essentially moving towards a more mediocre academic standing with our admittance rate at 44% now (ironic).

I think BC's admittance is hovering in the low 20s now. I wish we would pick a lane either academics or athletics. Feel like we're in no man's land.
We aren’t elite.
Newhouse is.
Maxwell is.
Whitman is.

The university overall is right where the rankings say.

Academics matter for Stanford.
In the PAC-12 it has to be unanimous to expand.
Colorado and Utah were approved last round; not exactly on Stanford’s academic level

Colorado and Utah were approved last round; not exactly on Stanford’s academic level
Compare those schools academics to Kansas State.
The pac-12 will never take Baylor either.

Both are the flagship public university in their respective states.

Kansas State is... not.

Is there a desire to expand into the Central Time Zone, or to expand by luring Texas and Oklahoma, who happen to be in the CTZ?

The Pac 12 has long history of making dumb decisions, but the incremental financial value of adding mediocre schools in tiny markets, 1,500 miles away, is not large.
We'll see. :cool:

Texas to ACC to complement ND; each team plays 6 ACC FB games and all in for everything else. In that scenario, does the ACC add Villanova and Georgetown in all sports except FB?
Why would the ACC want Villanova and Georgetown? :confused:

Oh give me a break. You have no clue how contracts work. You think parity is possible in college sports.

I actually get this stuff realignment and don’t talk like an idealist but minor detail ignored by you.
Parity is not a you have it or you don't thing. It's on an equilibrium. More would be better and there are things that can be done to make things more equal. Obviously the tools and methods are limited compared to the NFL, but that doesn't mean a.) more parity isn't good for the health and $ of CFB or b) that the needle can be moved towards more parity

My fear after Maryland left the ACC was that the B1G would take UNC and Virginia. They would get the academic state flagships that seem like a good fit for that conference. The SEC takes NC State and Va Tech. Again, those two schools are a cultural fit for the SEC. Then FSU, Clemson, Miami and Georgia Tech would go to the Big 12. Fortunately with the Big 12 dead our nightmare isn't this bad, but it still wouldn't leave us in a great position.

I don't think the ACC will lose any schools in the next 10 years, but it should be proactive. Notre Dame is not coming, so get that out of the way. Hopefully we are speaking with Texas and Oklahoma and feeling them out. They would make more money in the ACC than they do in the Big 12, though obviously not the SEC. After them Oklahoma State has to be the top draft pick. Then one of TCU, Baylor, Kansas or West Virginia. Baylor might offer the best of both football and basketball and fits the ACC profile.

I don't have the sense of dread I felt last time we went through this. Hopefully our ESPN connections will save us.

Why do we assume ND wouldn't buy their way out of their ACC contract if other schools can suddenly take the GOR to court?

If ND wants to leave, they'll leave. I doubt the ACC is going to march into court and file an injunction against ND. It would seem to be logical they'd write the check to the ACC, thank them for being good friends and divorce (amicably). End of day schools want to be in the ND business no matter what. They bring eyeballs to the tvs.

Yep. FSU and SU actually have the exact same US News ranking (58) and Clemson is close behind at 74.
Side note - that US News ranking is basically horse poo. I listened to a podcast where they did a deep dive on how they tabulate it and it's pretty wild

Not before 2036
If we desired to do so we would write the check. But we will not want to join the Big 10 I suspect. We are tied to the ACC and content.

My fear after Maryland left the ACC was that the B1G would take UNC and Virginia. They would get the academic state flagships that seem like a good fit for that conference. The SEC takes NC State and Va Tech. Again, those two schools are a cultural fit for the SEC. Then FSU, Clemson, Miami and Georgia Tech would go to the Big 12. Fortunately with the Big 12 dead our nightmare isn't this bad, but it still wouldn't leave us in a great position.

I don't think the ACC will lose any schools in the next 10 years, but it should be proactive. Notre Dame is not coming, so get that out of the way. Hopefully we are speaking with Texas and Oklahoma and feeling them out. They would make more money in the ACC than they do in the Big 12, though obviously not the SEC. After them Oklahoma State has to be the top draft pick. Then one of TCU, Baylor, Kansas or West Virginia. Baylor might offer the best of both football and basketball and fits the ACC profile.

I don't have the sense of dread I felt last time we went through this. Hopefully our ESPN connections will save us.
I can't see any scenario where UNC or UVA want to leave the ACC. This conference is theirs, the money is good, the institutional fit is perfect. Pillar schools from the long-time, stable 4 conferences (ACC, SEC, B10, P12) don't leave.

Honestly, I think people lose their minds a little when it comes to conference stuff. Despite all the rumors and drama 10 years ago, the changes were all pretty logical. Scenarios like the ACC adding 4 mediocre Big 12 schools is not logical, IMHO.

I can't see any scenario where UNC or UVA want to leave the ACC. This conference is theirs, the money is good, the institutional fit is perfect. Pillar schools from the long-time, stable 4 conferences (ACC, SEC, B10, P12) don't leave.

Honestly, I think people lose their minds a little when it comes to conference stuff. Despite all the rumors and drama 10 years ago, the changes were all pretty logical. Scenarios like the ACC adding 4 mediocre Big 12 schools is not logical, IMHO.
ACC is basically just trying to survive.
They aren’t adding.
If Florida State holds the conference stability.

The longshot bet - Texas to the ACC. Oklahoma to the B1G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom