Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

I was about to type the same thing. ACC+ B10 >= New SEC

To me it makes a ton of sense b/c you can essentially manufacture an old big east, an old ACC, an old B10 and a southeastern super football grouping (FSU/Miami/Clemson/VA Tech/etc).

I could see the fine folks at ESPN frothing at the opportunity for something like this. The era of cohort/pods are here

I always thought Oklahoma State had more juice than the 3rd/4th/5th Texas schools. Not sure if that was because of T Boone Pickens money, or just that they've had more sustained success.

Not fair to lump Ok State with TT. Ok State is the best overall of the bunch.

- Texas/OU going to SEC confuses me. Harder conference. You would think the ACC would look better. I know it’s all about the money but if they came to ACC, ND would absolutely follow ans that contract right there gets awfully close if not surpasses SEC money.

- if it is true that A&M is not happy. ACC should reach out. Maybe they hate Texas so much they would take a hit in pay (wishful thinking) and come to ACC.

- ACC always a half a step behind. If they would have reached out in Dec or Jan I truly believe Texas and OU would be headed to the ACC.

- Throw a Hail Mary and go after 2 of 3 teams. Texas A&M, Penn state, Maryland and then throw an ultimatum ND way

- if that doesn’t work, go after WVU and Houston or Cincinnati

- Lastly, maybe merge with Big 10. Make ND join. That’s 28 team league. Break it into pods. You have entire Midwest/east coast. Viewership and eyeballs would be outrageous. ESPN WOULD PAY A FORTUNE.

- Texas/OU going to SEC confuses me. Harder conference. You would think the ACC would look better. I know it’s all about the money but if they came to ACC, ND would absolutely follow ans that contract right there gets awfully close if not surpasses SEC money.

- if it is true that A&M is not happy. ACC should reach out. Maybe they hate Texas so much they would take a hit in pay (wishful thinking) and come to ACC.

- ACC always a half a step behind. If they would have reached out in Dec or Jan I truly believe Texas and OU would be headed to the ACC.

- Throw a Hail Mary and go after 2 of 3 teams. Texas A&M, Penn state, Maryland and then throw an ultimatum ND way

- if that doesn’t work, go after WVU and Houston or Cincinnati

- Lastly, maybe merge with Big 10. Make ND join. That’s 28 team league. Break it into pods. You have entire Midwest/east coast. Viewership and eyeballs would be outrageous. ESPN WOULD PAY A FORTUNE.
I do not think the ACC has been sitting idly by. Might be wrong but I think there will be some positive surprises from the ACC when this is done.

I do not think the ACC has been sitting idly by. Might be wrong but I think there will be some positive surprises from the ACC when this is done.

It sounds like ACC was the conference that started this whole thing by speaking with TX and OK before they went to the SEC.

The Conference of Champions
tenor.gif

It sounds like ACC was the conference that started this whole thing by speaking with TX and OK before they went to the SEC.
The article says that the ACC intended to reach out, but did not actually reach out until recently when the rumors came out about the SEC. the SEC and Texas have been talking since January.

Yeah, I get that they're good at sports. Its just that none of these expansions are really about that. Maybe they'll latch on somewhere, who knows.

I don't know what expansion is about. Eyeballs? I suppose Kansas basketball has value, but if it's about football then Kansas should end up in the Big East and C-USA.

That's just a Salt Lake Beat writer postulating on Baylor - not sure how that's speculation lol. Unless Zagoria is just making a general comment.

I don't know what expansion is about. Eyeballs? I suppose Kansas basketball has value, but if it's about football then Kansas should end up in the Big East and C-USA.
Money. Only money.

The money is driven by a combination of brand value and market/fan base size.

Texas has both. Oklahoma has brand. OK State doesn’t really have either.

Shows how little anyone cares about anything other than football.

Kansas, a top 5 basketball program of all time, has an uncertain future right now due to football realignment.

At this point expansion is upside, potential money you can bring to a conference.

Before regionalism and rivalries mattered. Now the fact that TV money for football is known these teams aren’t loyal to anything but money.
Some teams are lucky just because of history( think Purdue or Mississippi State) and others will lose out because of it.

The ACC isn’t safe.

The Big XII wasn’t stable and the big dogs got tired of carrying dead weight.
We need to worry about that ourselves.

Kansas isn’t a Big Ten school. They belong in a power conference though.

I think a few things need to play out prior to the ACC or Big10 making a move (especially the Big10 because they will unarguably be 2nd in revenue now). First and foremost, they need to know roughly what the new SEC would be bringing in financially to better understand how far behind the SEC they will be. Are we talking an extra 2 million a year per SEC team(manageable), or 20 million(merger and acquisition time). Gonna be interesting for sure

I think a few things need to play out prior to the ACC or Big10 making a move (especially the Big10 because they will unarguably be 2nd in revenue now). First and foremost, they need to know roughly what the new SEC would be bringing in financially to better understand how far behind the SEC they will be. Are we talking an extra 2 million a year per SEC team(manageable), or 20 million(merger and acquisition time). Gonna be interesting for sure
So, assuming that you end up with a situation where SEC teams are earning $20 million more per year than others, even in their own geographical footprint, why does that matter? Since that money can't flow directly to the players from the schools, what difference will it make?

Thought experiment. List the licit ways that the $20 million will make a difference.

Will West Virginia consider the ACC if the B12 folds?

Outside of WVU and obviously ND, I see some posters mentioning CincI as a good candidate for the ACC. Wouldn't UCF be a better choice? Miami and Florida St probably wouldn't like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom