Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

The question is what type of clause did ESPN put into their deal with the SEC for expansion.
I bet the SEC wishes they had done this prior to their deal as they would get even more than they will get from ESPN additionally.

CBS had to save it’s money to keep the NFL.
Fox never got a chance at the SEC rights after CBS declined the next exclusive window went to ESPN because of their network agreement.

ESPN is trying to own college football completely because it’s cheaper than the NFL by a lot and is very very popular and profitable content.

Do you think ESPN has been part of this negotiation with SEC/Ok_Texas for a while? I feel like if the underwriter of these conferences are truly driving the bus, what are they saying to the ACC if the financial future is such it will blow up said conference.

OK if we only discuss what we can "Do something about" what topics would remain?
Good job of completely missing my point.

The ACC is making the points to ND that I and others have made here: Texas and OU to the SEC is a big game changer.
It’s not really a big game changer for ND.
The Big XII is being destroyed.
Unless the Big Ten can poach Clemson or Florida State nothing changes for the ACC.
They were are already going to lag way behind the SEC in revenue.
The academic ACC schools aren’t going to destroy the conference.
Notre Dame will still be comfortable with the status quo.
If the administrators for college football say you must be in a conference to be a playoff team that is about the only thing I can see changing Notre Dame.
At that point they want the Big Ten which is fine.

Nothing he is saying is inaccurate. Being able to look at the program from the outside instead of as a homer isn't just being a negative Nancy. Pretending we are something that we aren't and then being shocked by what outside perception really ends up being doesn't do anyone any good. Some people can handle it and some still think it's the late 80s and we are a 2 sport powerhouse.
There's room to see the program as it is (poor) and still see the value we bring (eyeballs in the NE). People who tie current success with long term stability might think of the the teams who are good now, but were mediocre for 20 years (Clemson!).

Current success is very helpful, but not a deal breaker. Rutgers to the B1G remains the proof of this, IMO.

It’s not really a big game changer for ND.
The Big XII is being destroyed.
Unless the Big Ten can poach Clemson or Florida State nothing changes for the ACC.
They were are already going to lag way behind the SEC in revenue.
The academic ACC schools aren’t going to destroy the conference.
Notre Dame will still be comfortable with the status quo.
If the administrators for college football say you must be in a conference to be a playoff team that is about the only thing I can see changing Notre Dame.
At that point they want the Big Ten which is fine.
It has the potential to be a game changer. The fact is the fallout is unknown at this point. Putting together a good schedule could be an issue if conference move to 10 games or alliances (ACC PAC). A lot of unknowns.

Compare the ACC and SEC conference schools and tell me who has more media value:

ACC/SEC

Clemson/Alabama
Florida State/Texas
North Carolina/Florida
Virginia/Georgia
Miami/LSU
Georgia Tech/Oklahoma
Virginia Tech/Texas A&M
NC State/Tennessee
Duke/Auburn
Louisville/Arkansas
Syracuse/Missouri
Pitt/Kentucky
BC/Ole Miss
Wake Forest/South Carolina

SEC has 12 state flagship universities and the ACC has 2. The Big 10 has 11 state flagship universities. That is the challenge that the ACC has in order to keep up with the media value of the SEC and Big 10.
Rabid fanbases in small states vs Normal fanbases in populous states

Do you think ESPN has been part of this negotiation with SEC/Ok_Texas for a while? I feel like if the underwriter of these conferences are truly driving the bus, what are they saying to the ACC if the financial future is such it will blow up said conference.
I do.
I think ESPN told the SEC to be amendable to OU and UT so they don’t go elsewhere.
I think UT and OU just got sick of the Bevo conference and decided to just go and because ESPN now owns the SEC then go that direction.
The Big Ten being with Fox and Oklahoma was pissed off big time with Fox for putting their Nebraska game this year at 11am could be a factor.
Fox wants their big games at 12pm eastern. ESPN wants them at night.

I think some people are forgetting jim Phillips the new ACC commish was in the Big ten for 12 years. I think he understands and has an idea what that conference future plans are and what they would expect to do. That, with our AD wildhack I believe the ACC is a step ahead of some conferences in their plan of attack.
Who has the ACC been ahead of in conference realignment? The Big East?

The SEC and Big 10 have been way ahead of the ACC in every conference realignment move. The SEC and Big 10 have grabbed large state flagship universities for their conferences and they were well ahead of the ACC when it came to starting conference networks. And, neither the Big 10 or SEC locked in LT media deals in a rapidly changing media landscape like the ACC did.

The Big 12 was a messy merger between the Big 8 and some of the SWC schools that became toast 10 years ago the moment Colorado and Nebraska left shortly followed by Texas A&M and Missouri. Nobody could have saved the Big 12 from ultimately collapsing.

The Pac 12 conference is not really relevant to the ACC at this time, although that could change if there is some movement between the Pac 12 and Big 10.

No offense to Jim Phillips, but hasn't everyone learned by now to not trust the conference commissioner to solve your school's problems? WIldhack needs to try and strengthen the ACC as well as see if the Big 10 would have some interest. But, he also needs a plan in case the ACC gets picked apart by the SEC and Big 10 and Syracuse doesn't get selected. I would have a conversation with Val Ackerman, the commissioner of the Big East, to see if the Big East is a fall back option.

Yes, a lot can happen. But you can be certain that they will not go back to the Big 12. And there is no logical reason to think they would shift the planned move to another conference.

Sure there is. Why wouldn't Texas be interested in a B1G West pod of Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Money will be the same. They get to be part of the CIC. They differentiate themselves from A&M. Texas likes to think of itself as being more academic minded, which fits the B1G vs the slimy cheating SEC schools. The B1G can pitch the proposal of being a national conference by eventually targeting the ACC and P12. It will be easier to win the B1G in football. Seems logical.

Who has the ACC been ahead of in conference realignment? The Big East?

The SEC and Big 10 have been way ahead of the ACC in every conference realignment move. The SEC and Big 10 have grabbed large state flagship universities for their conferences and they were well ahead of the ACC when it came to starting conference networks. And, neither the Big 10 or SEC locked in LT media deals in a rapidly changing media landscape like the ACC did.

The Big 12 was a messy merger between the Big 8 and some of the SWC schools that became toast 10 years ago the moment Colorado and Nebraska left shortly followed by Texas A&M and Missouri. Nobody could have saved the Big 12 from ultimately collapsing.

The Pac 12 conference is not really relevant to the ACC at this time, although that could change if there is some movement between the Pac 12 and Big 10.

No offense to Jim Phillips, but hasn't everyone learned by now to not trust the conference commissioner to solve your school's problems? WIldhack needs to try and strengthen the ACC as well as see if the Big 10 would have some interest. But, he also needs a plan in case the ACC gets picked apart by the SEC and Big 10 and Syracuse doesn't get selected. I would have a conversation with Val Ackerman, the commissioner of the Big East, to see if the Big East is a fall back option.

The ACC grabbed Miami when it was the hottest school in the country. It took Syracuse and Pitt in the dead of night, and at that point it could have had Rutgers.

There's room to see the program as it is (poor) and still see the value we bring (eyeballs in the NE). People who tie current success with long term stability might think of the the teams who are good now, but were mediocre for 20 years (Clemson!).

Current success is very helpful, but not a deal breaker. Rutgers to the B1G remains the proof of this, IMO.
When Syracuse plays Boston College every year then it should be on national TV if it would bring eyeballs.
It doesn’t.
Our fanbase doesn’t get it.
Football brings value. If we aren’t good at it we don’t bring it.

Problem there is that we don't bring eyeballs if you look at ratings over essentially 2 decades at this point. I think with Rutgers that folks talked themselves into thinking they mattered in NYC when in reality no program in college sports matters in NYC at all because it's a giant ass melting pot that seems to only care about Pro Sports by a mile.

Just going to be one board called "buying tickets" and another called "tailgating". Going to be awesome.

Nope, just going to have to move everything to the pay side.

Problem there is that we don't bring eyeballs if you look at ratings over essentially 2 decades at this point. I think with Rutgers that folks talked themselves into thinking they mattered in NYC when in reality no program in college sports matters in NYC at all because it's a giant ass melting pot that seems to only care about Pro Sports by a mile.
Rutgers got in for cable boxes.
Their were more cable boxes in NJ than CT.
Plus it was close enough to NYC for Big Ten alums in NYC.

If the Big Ten was picking successful program in sports they would have taken UConn over Rutgers

CFB is a regional sport. There is still a need for regional games as well. Penn State vs SU or BC will create more interest (eyeballs) in the Northeast than Penn State vs Illinois will.

Also Penn State rather play regional road games. If the B1G goes to 10 conference games, Penn State wants as many of those 3-4 non marquee road games to be regional. They cannot achieve that with just MD and RU.

It has the potential to be a game changer. The fact is the fallout is unknown at this point. Putting together a good schedule could be an issue if conference move to 10 games or alliances (ACC PAC). A lot of unknowns.
The BT and Pac have twice come very close to scheduling alliance. I bet that is back on the front burner now that the BT cannot hope to get Texas or have OU play Nebraska even semi-annualy.

When Syracuse plays Boston College every year then it should be on national TV if it would bring eyeballs.
It doesn’t.
Our fanbase doesn’t get it.
Football brings value. If we aren’t good at it we don’t bring it.
Best we did was Cuse/WVU 2018. 4.8M viewers without riding coat tails.

If we're GOOD? Only time anyone will care.

Nope, just going to have to move everything to the pay side.
The suddenly prolific posting experts on the pay side say SU is in great shape and the guys on this board are full of cr#p. It’s only 29.99 a month you can Venmo the$$$ to me.

It depends on how big you go as a conference. That travel might not be so bad.

If the B1G went to 6 divisions of 6 teams, then in BBall you are playing 15 games regionally in conference (10 home + 5 divisional road) and at worst 5 games out of region in conference. Then you have 5-6 in region OOC cupcakes at home, 2-4 early season destination tournament games, and 1-2 OOC P5 games either at home or away (which would potentially be out of region). So is potentially traveling 5-6 times out of region (not including the early season tournament), really all that bad?

If you think the B1G is going to go to 36 teams, then I suppose not.

I don't think the B1G is going to go to 36 teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom