Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

Do you get what I am saying? You complain ND is looking out for themselves and your own university does the same thing. If you wanted to do the noble thing you should have given your ACC spot to CIncy.
Hard to keep up with the pace of this thread. But c’mon.

#trollalert

"Sheetz is starting a super-conference with WaWa and 7-11. Stewart’s is going to get screwed."
No chance with that ice cream
This is the kind of homerism that pervades this board. Better to accept the inevitable than live deluded lives of unrealistic hope.

"Sheetz is starting a super-conference with WaWa and 7-11. Stewart’s is going to get screwed."

This is the kind of homerism that pervades this board. Better to accept the inevitable than live deluded lives of unrealistic hope.
Need to go big and go further South. Add Racetrac and QuickTrip.

You didn't miss much by not reading the thread. I sort of regret reading it myself. All speculation with little, if any, substance. That said, I will continue to read it - like a moth to a flame.

Slow news season so media outlets need to manufacture clicks.

Realistically the outcome this round is SEC to 16 teams with Texas and Oklahoma and the rest of the big 12 just kind of goes away as it becomes P4 and G6. Aside from those 2 aforementioned there isn't much else in the Big 12 for other conferences to really desire. Maybe Big 10 adds Kansas for hoops and has to take KSU with them but Okie State, Texas Tech, Iowa State, etc. don't really fit the profile of other major conferences much less the foot prints sans Iowa State. Is it really worth adding all that travel for non revenue sports to have the Red Raiders in your conference? Do they move the needle enough in revenue sports?

We're not inseparable as long as VPI has a landing place. It's thought that if UNC and UVa go to the B1G, the SEC would take VPI and NC State to complete the map.

Just an opinion here, but I think that was the expansion thinking of 10 years ago, get into new states, it would bring more $.

Based on everything you read now, it's all about football content. Do UNC and UVA move the needle enough that when the pot is split 16 ways everyone gets at least as much money? Doesn't seem like it.

This is where VT has an advantage over UVA. I don't think anyone in NC adds anything. Nor does GT. Clemson, FSU, maybe VT, that's about it. Miami has probably been average too long at this point.

I think the SEC played chess and forced everyone else to play checkers.

Just an opinion here, but I think that was the expansion thinking of 10 years ago, get into new states, it would bring more $.

Based on everything you read now, it's all about football content. Do UNC and UVA move the needle enough that when the pot is split 16 ways everyone gets at least as much money? Doesn't seem like it.

This is where VT has an advantage over UVA. I don't think anyone in NC adds anything. Nor does GT. Clemson, FSU, maybe VT, that's about it. Miami has probably been average too long at this point.

UNC is a gold mine.
They sell more merchandise than almost any school.
Plus Mac Brown is actually going to build UNC football back up. They are a sleeping giant because of their brand, campus, colors and recruiting ability.
UNC would require UVA to go anywhere.
UNC after ND is by far the most valuable brand in the ACC.
The SEC or Big Ten would take UNC tomorrow if they would commit.

They played the game and won. Congrats! Your reward is a regional sport with a smaller footprint that cuts out the most populous states. Interest will go up in SEC country and down everywhere else.

I’m a CFB fan but have always felt disconnected from a game like LSU vs Florida. It’s too far away and too different culturally. ACC isn’t perfect, but at least is approachable.

Here is my thought. Syracuse basically has to hope that the ACC gets very pro active and adds some solid teams based on value not geo fit. Im not sure where that goes but the Pac might be a fit. As to ND they have zero reason to join the ACC or any league. They are set in the ACC for the next 15 years and can join at anytime they want. They will not join the Big that much i do know. The Big cant provide them with enough money to join and ND doesnt need the coin. They cravce independence and always will. What they can do is to add more value to the ACC without joining by simpley stating the obvious. I also dont see NC or VA leaving. Actually the only team i could possibly see leaving would be Florida State. I think we can replace them with another Florida school or a Cincy possibly WVU or go big and bring in Houston and the Texas Market. Texas am isnt going anyplace they can bitch all they want but they are SEC for life. So its down to Pac alliance, or most likely sit tight. I dont expect much in the next 3 years. What we need to do is become relevant in football. Win some games and protect our brand which has significant value.

Plus Mac Brown is actually going to build UNC football back up. They are a sleeping giant because of their brand, campus, colors and recruiting ability.

Mac Brown seems to be the only guy who’s ever been able to win there. No one recruits like him, he’s the Big Tom Callahan of college football.

He’s also 70 next month.

Mac Brown seems to be the only guy who’s ever been able to win there. No one recruits like him, he’s the Big Tom Callahan of college football.

He’s also 70 next month.
Jim Boeheim says that is young.
Also Mac Brown will definitely leave that job stocked up for his successor.

Depends on what content conferences are looking for and what. if any, non football content they'd be looking to add. Big gap of 7-8 non football months for networks and conferences if they solely focus on football.

A few schools , like Cuse (31.7m), make more/same money in basketball than a some P5 schools in football (West Virginia $25 million, Rutgers $27 million, Wake Forest $27 million, Vanderbilt $32 million, Boston College $32.3 million). Adding football and basketball revenue together and Cuse are within 10% of Clemson 75m vs 81m interestingly enough.

Granted SEC only really care about football but not certain its the same for the rest.

Slow news season so media outlets need to manufacture clicks.

Realistically the outcome this round is SEC to 16 teams with Texas and Oklahoma and the rest of the big 12 just kind of goes away as it becomes P4 and G6. Aside from those 2 aforementioned there isn't much else in the Big 12 for other conferences to really desire. Maybe Big 10 adds Kansas for hoops and has to take KSU with them but Okie State, Texas Tech, Iowa State, etc. don't really fit the profile of other major conferences much less the foot prints sans Iowa State. Is it really worth adding all that travel for non revenue sports to have the Red Raiders in your conference? Do they move the needle enough in revenue sports?

There are more complications than folks are admitting. TAMU does not want UT in their league. The president or AD has already said that there is some kind of longstanding gentlemen's agreement in the SEC that allows a member to veto any expansion in their own state. The Texas and Oklahoma legislatures are not happy about UT and OU leaving other state schools behind. I think UT/OU/TT/OSU to the PAC may be more likely. There's little benefit for the SEC to add 4 teams, only two of which boost the members' payout. The others dilute the pool. PAC is in a different boat, as are we.

There are more complications than folks are admitting. TAMU does not want UT in their league. The president or AD has already said that there is some kind of longstanding gentlemen's agreement in the SEC that allows a member to veto any expansion in their own state. The Texas and Oklahoma legislatures are not happy about UT and OU leaving other state schools behind. I think UT/OU/TT/OSU to the PAC may be more likely. There's little benefit for the SEC to add 4 teams, only two of which boost the members' payout. The others dilute the pool. PAC is in a different boat, as are we.
The Pac is praying for this outcome because my guess would be that they wouldn't get the same tv deal next time around. Add those schools and the likely get a bump in their TV deal. I do think the ACC circles with Texas at that point and offers the ND deal at a minimum if politics blocks their SEC plans.

Maybe but presume Texas legislators also aren't going to let aTm potentially surpass UT. In that scenario why would TT be the one and what would become of Baylor, and TCU?

In that scenario SEC could add Okie and Okie State to go to 16 and Texas, TT, Baylor and TCU could go to the PAC but the only real winner there would be the Oklahoma schools. BUT why would the SEC make a move that didn't involve Texas?

There is always the option for Texas and Oklahoma to go independent (ala Notre Dame) is the SEC move doesn't come to fruition but the Big 12 is, and has been, a dying conference. Losing aTm and replacing with WVU will do these sorts of things.

Maybe but presume Texas legislators also aren't going to let aTm potentially surpass UT. In that scenario why would TT be the one and what would become of Baylor, and TCU?

In that scenario SEC could add Okie and Okie State to go to 16 and Texas, TT, Baylor and TCU could go to the PAC but the only real winner there would be the Oklahoma schools. BUT why would the SEC make a move that didn't involve Texas?

There is always the option for Texas and Oklahoma to go independent (ala Notre Dame) is the SEC move doesn't come to fruition but the Big 12 is, and has been, a dying conference. Losing aTm and replacing with WVU will do these sorts of things.

Baylor and TCU are private schools so less pain politically if they're left behind. Baylor has powerful friends that saved them once before but I wouldn't necessarily count on it again. At the time that the SWC blew up, the governor and I want to say the speaker of the house were both Baylor grads and threatened to hold up UT and TAMU's move if they didn't include Baylor.

It’s a done deal Oklahoma and Texas are going to the SEC.

The SEC and ESPN are in tandem on this.

The Pac is praying for this outcome because my guess would be that they wouldn't get the same tv deal next time around. Add those schools and the likely get a bump in their TV deal. I do think the ACC circles with Texas at that point and offers the ND deal at a minimum if politics blocks their SEC plans.

It's possible that OU and UT stay put too. The Big 12 has offered to give them an extra half revenue each if they stay. In that scenario, they'll be making $55 or so million a year on tv, which is close to SEC numbers now. Not a stable situation but still.

This is the best read I’ve seen on this so far, and sums up my thoughts better than I can: The Pointless Extravagance of Texas and Oklahoma’s SEC Move
The article misses the ENTIRE point, imo.

Legislation introduced May 27th for college athletes to unionize, and become employees. Other legislation for them to receive a percentage of conference income. Its coming.

If you want to guarantee relevancy, and get the best players, you MUST be in the conference that can compensate players the most. That wasn't the B12. It makes perfect sense for them to partner with the SEC. Partnering with schools that can't bring that value makes no sense, unless you intentionally want to only get 2cnd tier players.

Last edited:
It’s a done deal Oklahoma and Texas are going to the SEC.

The SEC and ESPN are in tandem on this.

Right, fun convos around the rest of potentially moving pieces but those 2 alone to the SEC only the only parts that truly make sense. Do wonder if the SEC will potentially break away from the NCAA entirely shortly thereafter though. Can just play standard lower division cupcakes OOC and full conference slate thereafter, have own 4 team playoff, and can name the winner the National Champions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom