Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 80 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

I too fear that this is coming.

I think that the only way to slow it significantly, which would provide a chance to prevent it, is Notre Dame going full football in the ACC and publicly stressing that because the ACC is the last Major conference to have multiple private schools, as well as smaller state schools, the ACC thriving as a Major conference for football is the only surety that Major College football is not yet a Professional League.

But my fear about Notre Dame is that a growing number of its football boosters are itching to whore to the highest bidder the split second that it looks like the ACC is faltering in the face of the onslaught.
ND will lead the charge against paying players.
There will in my opinion be a 2 or 3 to 1 ratio of schools that will decide not to pay. Significantly more for Basketball and other sports.

ND will lead the charge against paying players.
There will in my opinion be a 2 or 3 to 1 ratio of schools that will decide not to pay. Significantly more for Basketball and other sports.
Yep.. We will not play if they become employees.

The vast majority of schools will not participate in pay for play unless there is a standard. Open market wont happen on a large scale.

The vast majority of schools will not participate in pay for play unless there is a standard. Open market wont happen on a large scale.

Which they won't be able to do. You can't organize among independent companies (or schools) a specific rate of pay for employees. That's called wage-fixing and illegal under anti-trust laws. No court will allow that.

Now, if the players were part of a union they could possibly negotiate a collective bargaining agreement with the NCAA (which would represent the schools) for a school salary cap, similar to what the NBA uses. This has skirted anti-trust laws for decades. But, you can't just say each player, regardless of school will be paid this much. That's not how America works.

I don’t see them getting paid directly from the schools but I could see them sharing in the direct TV revenue something like 25-40%

Wonder if that is the middle ground

Which they won't be able to do. You can't organize among independent companies (or schools) a specific rate of pay for employees. That's called wage-fixing and illegal under anti-trust laws. No court will allow that.

Now, if the players were part of a union they could possibly negotiate a collective bargaining agreement with the NCAA (which would represent the schools) for a school salary cap, similar to what the NBA uses. This has skirted anti-trust laws for decades. But, you can't just say each player, regardless of school will be paid this much. That's not how America works.
Could it simply be an increase in the amount each kid currently receives?

Could it simply be an increase in the amount each kid currently receives?

Possibly, but someone could argue that at a point that represents wages and you fall into the same issue. Also, keep in mind the cost of living stipend students receive is different at each school.

Why would they if they get a vote.

I still don't understand why they get a vote or how much weight that vote holds.
ND has a vote that is the same as any of the ten conferences.

ND has a vote because everyone involved (TV, advertisers, conferences, etc.) wants ND to have one.

ND has a vote because everyone involved (TV, advertisers, conferences, etc.) wants ND to have one.
I know fans of about 10 conferences that don't want them to have a vote

This is a stupid argument. ND is powerful and will remain so until there is an absolute end game where they have to pay players (they leave that charade as does Syracuse probably) or are forced into a conference b/c the playoff (then they join the ACC due to their deal with the ACC).

Am I seeing something wrong? You can argue if this is fair or why do they get special rules but that's the way it is. IF Syracuse was this special school i'd be doing an irish jig happy knowing we control our own destiny and will always have a seat at the table.

I guess for as long as the SEC is ok with it, we all have to accept it.

This is exactly why we're all complaining, lol. Why on earth should one team get the same vote as 14?

Why would ND act in their own interests so nakedly when they are only at the table because the conferences allow them to be? It's that arrogance that will bite ND in the end...

This is a stupid argument. ND is powerful and will remain so until there is an absolute end game where they have to pay players (they leave that charade as does Syracuse probably) or are forced into a conference b/c the playoff (then they join the ACC due to their deal with the ACC).

Am I seeing something wrong? You can argue if this is fair or why do they get special rules but that's the way it is. IF Syracuse was this special school i'd be doing an irish jig happy knowing we control our own destiny and will always have a seat at the table.

This is exactly why we're all complaining, lol. Why on earth should one team get the same vote as 14?

Why would ND act in their own interests so nakedly when they are only at the table because the conferences allow them to be? It's that arrogance that will bite ND in the end...
I hope so !!!

I hope so !!!
I think you have to stop looking at these universities as vessels of patronage to other schools. EVERY school is a mercenary. Syracuse left the Big East to enter the ACC over money. It was a mercenary decision that killed the conference they built.

I mean I get emotion and feeling like someone isn't helping out. That's human nature. But 100 out of 100 schools will do what's best for them.

Ultimately, as i've said in 100 other threads, this is where our govt could help. I know people will yell and say they should focus on more important things but college sports is massive multi billion dollar interstate commerce that receives massive tax breaks. Force them into a decision much like the drinking age with highway funds.

I think you have to stop looking at these universities as vessels of patronage to other schools. EVERY school is a mercenary. Syracuse left the Big East to enter the ACC over money. It was a mercenary decision that killed the conference they built.

I mean I get emotion and feeling like someone isn't helping out. That's human nature. But 100 out of 100 schools will do what's best for them.

Ultimately, as i've said in 100 other threads, this is where our govt could help. I know people will yell and say they should focus on more important things but college sports is massive multi billion dollar interstate commerce that receives massive tax breaks. Force them into a decision much like the drinking age with highway funds.

There are many reasons I detest ND, the conference of one is just one of them.

That's simply not correct. Each school gets a vote. ND gets a vote. SU gets a vote. UVa gets a vote. Etc. When we say the alliance will out vote the 2026 SEC on an issue, it's because the vote will be 40-16, not 3-1.

This is where I disagree. ND is afforded an undue respect and this unique place in CFB, even being treated like a conference somehow, then they should think outside of their own interests. Especially when those interests are already partially aligned.

They want to act like every other program and do what’s best for themselves and yet are afforded oversized influence that would seem to imply a greater responsibility.

What pisses me off is the seem to want all the perks without the responsibility.

(I’d also repeat that joining the ACC was good for Syracuse and the ACC. It was and is mutually beneficial. The teams in the ACC have joined together to wield a greater influence than they’d have on their own. ND seems to have both and it might be untenable)

That's not correct. Each school gets a vote. ND gets a vote. SU gets a vote. UVa gets a vote. Etc. When we say the alliance will out vote the 2026 SEC on an issue, it's because the vote will be 40-16, not 3-1.
Fair. I shouldn’t have used the word vote and instead “influence” or “seat at the table”

All the bone heads who were so sure GORs could easily be defeated have been proved completely wrong.

Even the mighty SEC could not afford to break the B12 GOR early.

Things might change in the next 13 years somewhat and the talk about breaking GORs will come into play with ACC schools someday.

But I bet it happens later than many expected.

All the bone heads who were so sure GORs could easily be defeated have been proved completely wrong.

Even the mighty SEC could not afford to break the B12 GOR early.

Things might change in the next 13 years somewhat and the talk about breaking GORs will come into play with ACC schools someday.

But I bet it happens later than many expected.
I'm guessing in this case the cost of legal efforts (and damaged relationships with media partners) to exit the B12 one year early weren't worth just waiting it out. Maybe that calculus changes if we're talking about 5-to-7 years, but who knows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom