Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC | Page 45 | Syracusefan.com

Texas, Oklahoma reach out to the SEC

SEC has no use for Oklahoma State. B1G will not touch them academically.

If the SEC went past 18 then Pitt is possible. As for the B1G, Pitt does not have a strong FB brand. They have a small fanbase in both FB and BBall. They don't add market coverage. Their AAU status is the only thing they have of interest to the B1G.

This isn't a football arms race. You need to think more like the conferences would and not like a fan.
In what world is this not a football arms race? 2 of the top 10 biggest football brands are jumping ship to the big boy football league and is likely initiating the collapse of a P5 conference and maybe more by doing so. Believing that teams in major conferences are going to be more worried about the academic prestige of their colleagues over adding additional funds for their athletic departments is not going to be realistic. The time for college sports being some idealistic place where academics were put ahead of money is long past and now officially dead. If Stanford, Northwestern, Vandy and Duke want to play sports with their academic peers then they will bounce to the Ivy but for some reason I don't see that happening.

K

You are going to see a PAC-12-Big Ten merger with Fox.

Hopefully we get a ACC-SEC merger with that soccer model I suggested with ESPN.

P12 media rights are garbage and they are coming to an end. The B1G should create a prisoner's dilemma for the 9 P12 AAU schools. Say we will take the first 6 to say yes. Then take all 9. That gets the B1G to 23 with only Nebraska as non AAU. Then take KU to get to 24.

Something like this…
CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT (72)
Notre Dame (South Bend)
Boston College (Boston)
Syracuse (Syracuse)
Rutgers (Piscataway)
Penn St (University Park)
Maryland (College Park)
Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh)
West Virginia (Morgantown)
Louisville (Louisville)

Virginia (Charlottesville)
North Carolina (Chapel Hill)
Duke (Durham)
Wake Forest (Winston Salem)
Vanderbilt (Nashville)
Clemson (Clemson)
Georgia Tech (Atlanta)
Florida St (Tallahassee)
Miami (Miami)

Kentucky (Lexington)
Virginia Tech (Blacksburg)
Tennessee (Knoxville)
North Carolina St (Raleigh)
South Carolina (Columbia)
Georgia (Athens)
Auburn (Auburn)
Alabama (Tuscaloosa)
Florida (Gainesville)

Mississippi (Oxford)
Mississippi St (Starkville)
Arkansas (Fayetteville)
LSU (Baton Rouge)
Oklahoma (Norman)
Oklahoma St (Stillwater)
Texas (Austin)
Texas A&M (College Station)
Texas Tech (Lubbock)

•Cincinnati (Cincinnati)
Ohio St (Columbus)
Michigan (Ann Arbor)
Michigan St (East Lansing)
Indiana (Bloomington)
Purdue (West Lafayette)
Northwestern (Evanston)
Illinois (Urbana Champaign)
Wisconsin (Madison)

Minnesota (Minneapolis)
Iowa (Iowa City)
Iowa St (Ames)
Missouri (Columbia)
Nebraska (Lincoln)
Kansas (Lawrence)
Kansas St (Manhattan)
Colorado (Boulder)
•Colorado St (Fort Collins)

Arizona (Tucson)
Arizona St (Tempe)
•UNLV (Las Vegas)
•Boise St (Boise)
Utah (Salt Lake City)
•BYU (Provo)
Baylor (Waco)
TCU (Fort Worth)
•Houston (Houston)

•San Diego St (San Diego)
USC (Los Angeles)
UCLA (Los Angeles)
Stanford (Palo Alto)
California (Berkeley)
Oregon (Eugene)
Oregon St (Corvallis)
Washington (Seattle)
Washington St (Pullman)
I’d love this as a premier division - fewer academic and transfer restrictions with players getting great access to NIL money. It would probably be the only tactic to create enough leverage to get Notre Dame to join a conference

We found a Home last time because the ACC is half public and half private. Also we were the one school who didn’t sue them when they tried to destroy the Big East and their leader ship didn’t forget that. Also at that point our basketball program was hot and there was an idea to create the greatest basketball conference as the ACC was jealous and of the Big East to get the NCAA tournament credits to counter the potential lack of football success.

The SEC schools have A lot more non-alum fans who work from the state and have state pride. That is the case in the Northeast. The Northeast will never really truly care about college football you got a couple teams that are decent you’ll get some buzz beyond that you won’t
Nothing you said, negated what I said. I think that means we agree ;)

Obviously, CFB in the south is different. I just don't think they would be wise to hurt the whole product to enrich themselves when they are already at the top or to assume there isn't value to be had outside of their footprint. It's SEC arrogance as it's worst.

Almost no ND fan "wants" the Big Ten. We are all taught from birth to despise the Big Ten.

That is just about the worst result for ND in realignment (except for the money) from a fan perspective (but we all know from events that fan preferences don't count in realignment)..

My only point in my prior post was that at some point in the future the Big Ten may end up offering ND $80 million a year (and be one of two superconferences) versus the $40 million or so ND would get for joining the ACC.

So...ND may have a choice to make...and money talks. Time will tell.

In the near term, ND plans to charge subscriptions soon for the Fighting Irish TV streaming platform (David Hale just wrote that he thinks ND can get 250,000 people to sign up for $100/yr, netting ND $25 million a year in revenue that it gets to keep) and the NBC deal expires in 2025 (how much can ND get in the open market?), so the Irish think that they are in better financial shape remaining an independent in the near future rather than putting football in the ACC.

[Notre Dame’s success with Fighting Irish TV streaming service could lead to subscription model

Yeah, keep doing what you're doing it's worked out great for the leagues you're aligned with

Looking down the road when the biggest football schools completely break from the NCAA does this put Northwestern and Vandy in trouble. Without the need for the "smart schools" anymore to appease the NCAA do those schools get kicked to the curb?
Yes. This is the "semi-pro vs. academic" split Father Jenkins of ND recently spoke about. There will be a lot of schools that either are kicked to the curb or tell the semi-pros "See ya!". ND will be one of the schools in the academic group and (sorry, cynics) will not "change their mind when they see the money." This is viewed as part of the legacy left by Father Hesburgh who made ND what it is today. I've said this "a couple of times", when you go to the hard-core ND board you see that even the group who adamantly believe going with the academics is the wrong move readily acknowledge that ND will go with the academics.

Again, how does the ACC get picked off with their GOR time period? I don't get how you jump around the damages on that one? I still think the ACC realizes this (and realizes the money disparity) and try and join up with B10 as some sort of a federation. Almost the equivalent of taking a company private. My guess would be the B10 would have to take all the teams. Synergy of a single leadership, one central commissioner may be worth it to all parties if the alternative is some parties will peel off for the SEC.

The reporters are starting to sniff around on the idea of some schools should be paid more. Why wouldn't the big dogs in the B10 feel the same way?

This is true, but if the ACC does not make any moves - then the countdown to its demise begins. FSU and Clemson are not going to accept their 'competitors' raking in twice the cash for long. The players are going to get a paid a big chunk - so the SEC is making moves to preserve the profit margin, but to also set themselves up to attract the best talent.

This is a closed system - and ESPN and maybe the SEC are (hopefully) smart enough to see it. If you destroy the ecosystem - the apex predator in that system eventually dies too. ESPN may be happy it has a great deal with the ACC, but the value of that deal will diminish as the product weakens (because the schools can't compete). You can't have it both ways.

And, yes, the world needs ditch diggers too. Watching the Globetrotters is a lot less fun, and less lucrative, without the Washington Generals. It is interesting to watch this all unfold - especially when you consider the schools that were simply 'lucky by birth' - e.g. Vanderbilt and Northwestern.

In 2035 mind you. Move the clock up to 2030? TV deals were structured in a way that paid money for content providers. Ultimately these decisions become tv executives deciding on whether to show Seinfeld at 9pm or Friends b/c both tv deals are with ESPN.

ESPN and Fox should just buy D1 college football and decide upon themselves how to divy up the money to schools by who gets the best ratings. At this point that's kinda where this is going. No need for commissioners
I had this thought earlier today. Just run the thing. They kind of already do. CFB needs a strong leader that can actually bring some parity. More parity = better product. The best programs shouldn't care, they'll be fine

SEC has no use for Oklahoma State. B1G will not touch them academically.

If the SEC went past 18 then Pitt is possible. As for the B1G, Pitt does not have a strong FB brand. They have a small fanbase in both FB and BBall. They don't add market coverage. Their AAU status is the only thing they have of interest to the B1G.

This isn't a football arms race. You need to think more like the conferences would and not like a fan.
"Pitt does not have a strong FB brand"

Since 2013 move to ACC. Pitt with more wins than Syracuse 7 times in 8 years. How about the entire last decade of the Big East? Pitt with more wins 8 times and tied once. Only been better for 15 of the last 18 seasons. No big deal.

"They have a small fanbase"
In the last decade they have had higher average attendance in 9 of those years.

Oh and they are AAU as well for the academic needs you also think matters.

"Pitt does not have a strong FB brand"

Since 2013 move to ACC. Pitt with more wins than Syracuse 7 times in 8 years. How about the entire last decade of the Big East? Pitt with more wins 8 times and tied once. Only been better for 15 of the last 18 seasons. No big deal.

"They have a small fanbase"
In the last decade they have had higher average attendance in 9 of those years.

Oh and they are AAU as well for the academic needs you also think matters.

You don't get a thing about this whole process. That is fine. I am not wasting my time educating.

Yes. This is the "semi-pro vs. academic" split Father Jenkins of ND recently spoke about. There will be a lot of schools that either are kicked to the curb or tell the semi-pros "See ya!". ND will be one of the schools in the academic group and (sorry, cynics) will not "change their mind when they see the money." This is viewed as part of the legacy left by Father Hesburgh who made ND what it is today. I've said this "a couple of times", when you go to the hard-core ND board you see that even the group who adamantly believe going with the academics is the wrong move readily acknowledge that ND will go with the academics.
I disagree, I think ND will jump at the $$$$ like everyone else. Guess we might just find out.

You don't get a thing about this whole process. That is fine. I am not wasting my time educating.
That's probably a good idea. Not sure my interest is all that high in being educated by the guy that is trying to tell everyone that Syracuse is more valuable in realignment then Miami is. Which 0 other people even on a Syracuse fanboard agree with.

we're probably a year or so away from conferences deciding that teams in the same geography (think WF) are costing the ACC money and removing them increases everyone by 4mm. If the GOR can be bought out, then a team can be removed for the same reason.

ACC and PAC12 need to formulate an innovative partnership, One where they keep their conference identities (as divisions) but combine to be the 3rd power conference. It's already split East West. They can set up pods (who's going to stop them?).

Just need to work out the money (Fox/Espn deals) and get the lawyers to set up the holding entity.

ACC and Pac12 need to think BIG to fight off the SEC and BIG10. Pincer move!

we're probably a year or so away from conferences deciding that teams in the same geography (think WF) are costing the ACC money and removing them increases everyone by 4mm. If the GOR can be bought out, then a team can be removed for the same reason.
Every time I read thoughts like these, without commenting on their likelihood or desirability, I think, "Is this the tipping point that gets governments involved?" Lots of such moments as I browse this discussion thread.

So ten years ago I was lead to believe that GoRs were impenetrable contracts and that the ACC was f@@$ed because no one wanted to sign one and turns out they can be bought out like any other contract?

WVU supporters please reread Teel's Tweet several times before you advocate WVU again.
That tweet makes a ton of sense but if that were to be the case then it would seem only Texas and Oklahoma would be moving but that doesn't seem like it's going to be the case.

Hard to figure out what the value of a pretty good (17 bowls in 19 years) football program and really good bball program is worth. Have a rabid fanbase but in a fairly small footprint.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom