Thamel: Keeping Boeheim = SU admitting filling Carrier Dome more important than integrity, rules | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel: Keeping Boeheim = SU admitting filling Carrier Dome more important than integrity, rules

What is this about?

Norman Chad @NormanChad

With contract extension, Jim Boeheim has a chance to become first ever to coach athletes facing assault charges in six different decades.

Who is he talking about?

What is this about?

Norman Chad @NormanChad

With contract extension, Jim Boeheim has a chance to become first ever to coach athletes facing assault charges in six different decades.

Who is he talking about?
Perhaps players from the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s have at some point in their lives been charged with assault, and he's being cute in speculating that someone from the 20s might too, if JB coaches that long. At best, it's just an unfunny cheap shot.

Thamel's article was very aggressive and it's obvious he has some type of grudge against JB and the program. However, many casual and big college basketball fans probably share his opinion than don't.

Many college basketball fans I talk with here in Boston all pretty much have the same view and find it comical that JB had his program put on probation/serious sanctions twice in 20 years (not to mention the Bernie Fine fiasco) and was basically never held accountable by the University. We talk about the NCAA sanctions on this board like we're victims but reality is our coaching staff made poor decisions and we got caught and then dealt with.

The only punishment the university gave JB after the pretty serious NCAA ordeal was that weak 3 year window until he had to retire. Then Coyle left, JB went out and pushed for his good friend to be hired, and less than a year later our HCIW takes another job when he is supposedly 12 months away from being given the chance he's waited over 20 years for and the 3 year limit/punishment is removed that afternoon.

Perhaps players from the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s and 10s have at some point in their lives been charged with assault, and he's being cute in speculating that someone from the 20s might too, if JB coaches that long. At best, it's just an unfunny cheap shot.

Ahhh...ok...

Was wondering who are the players that have faced assault charges...

Ahhh...ok...

Was wondering who are the players that have faced assault charges...
Probably not worth anyone's time to try to verify the claim of a pseudo celebrity asshat.

What strange day. Townie72, I agree with you.
My thoughts exactly. Despite disagreeing about many of his comments, Townie has shown his integrity. My hat off to him.

Thamel's article was very aggressive and it's obvious he has some type of grudge against JB and the program. However, many casual and big college basketball fans probably share his opinion than don't.

Many college basketball fans I talk with here in Boston all pretty much have the same view and find it comical that JB had his program put on probation/serious sanctions twice in 20 years (not to mention the Bernie Fine fiasco) and was basically never held accountable by the University. We talk about the NCAA sanctions on this board like we're victims but reality is our coaching staff made poor decisions and we got caught and then dealt with.

The only punishment the university gave JB after the pretty serious NCAA ordeal was that weak 3 year window until he had to retire. Then Coyle left, JB went out and pushed for his good friend to be hired, and less than a year later our HCIW takes another job when he is supposedly 12 months away from being given the chance he's waited over 20 years for and the 3 year limit/punishment is removed that afternoon.
Unless there was evidence that Boeheim was directly involved with some sort of breaking of the rules instead of just "things happened on his watch" then I don't see how he should be punished any more than he already was by the NCAA.

Of course "big college basketball fans" who aren't SU fans are going to at least pretend they share this opinion because that's what sports fans do - they irrationally hate with no regard for real perspective or factual information.

For every media person who holds Thamel's supposed view there are others who think the NCAA findings after a full decade of investigations were a joke with respect to the punishment they handed out. The equivalent of a life prison sentence for jaywalking.

This is the national low hanging fruit article that the college basketball fans want. Look at it from their perspective, this is a click bait orgasm for those A) who hate Syracuse and B) really hate Boeheim.

My suspicion is Thamel had Mike as a source as well as Darryl Gross who can lend some credibility to this relationship over the years.

I hate the perception of the article because I'm a Boeheim guy but I get the article from the perspective he's writing it and who he's looking to get a reaction out of.

Unless there was evidence that Boeheim was directly involved with some sort of breaking of the rules instead of just "things happened on his watch" then I don't see how he should be punished any more than he already was by the NCAA.

Of course "big college basketball fans" who aren't SU fans are going to at least pretend they share this opinion because that's what sports fans do - they irrationally hate with no regard for real perspective or factual information.

For every media person who holds Thamel's supposed view there are others who think the NCAA findings after a full decade of investigations were a joke with respect to the punishment they handed out. The equivalent of a life prison sentence for jaywalking.

I agree the punishments were excessive for what was found. I agree that if they went to any other campus they would've found something similar and we were singled out. Having said that, they came to our campus and our coaching staff is the one who had guys emailing from our players student email accounts, sketchy academic practices and ignoring failed drug tests. Which I don't even know why he had an optional drug policy in place if we had no intentions to follow it.

As for the other piece, it isn't that rare or vengeful for someone to think when a guy is the head of a program that he should be held responsible when his direct reports break rules by the governing body of their field. Even though the drug testing stuff doesn't really fall into this bucket. Not many coaches survive one bout with the NCAA like we had let alone two of them.

For better or worse, JB runs the university and this weekend is just the latest piece of evidence. I don't know how that's a controversial statement or one that can even be argued against.

Surprised this one didn't get stopped by the editor.

Claiming that a coach of a mid major would not be interested in the Syracuse job is bizarre.

Trying to tie JB to attendance is even more so. Does he really think people come to Syracuse games to watch the head coach?

I get his concerns about JB not following rules. That hasn't been a strong point for him and is why he needs to be paired with a strong AD to keep on eye on him.

Don't get the academic integrity claim. What did JB ever do to hurt SU's academic integrity? He failed calculus in 1963; give him a break!

our coaching staff is the one who had guys emailing from our players student email accounts, sketchy academic practices and ignoring failed drug tests.
I don't recall ever reading that the coaching staff directly instructed people to send emails from players' email accounts or perform other "sketchy academic practices."

My thoughts exactly. Despite disagreeing about many of his comments, Townie has shown his integrity. My hat off to him.

My advantage (or blind spot) is that there is little about the SU basketball program I don't like. So I'm consistent.

I like Boeheim and believe K's assessment of "brilliant, competitive and loyal" captures the guy perfectly. K isn't the only coach to make that assessment of JB.

I don't think I'm smarter than JB is and I'm not using the message boards to make that case. In fact, I'm positive that JB has forgotten more about basketball than either I or his critics on here will ever know.

I also strongly believe that JB wants the SU basketball program to remain successful and that he would NEVER do anything to hurt it in the short, intermediate or long term.

My advantage (or blind spot) is that there is little about the SU basketball program I don't like. So I'm consistent.

I like Boeheim and believe K's assessment of "brilliant, competitive and loyal" captures the guy perfectly. K isn't the only coach to make that assessment of JB.

I don't think I'm smarter than JB is and I'm not using the message boards to make that case. In fact, I'm positive that JB has forgotten more about basketball than either I or his critics on here will ever know.

I also strongly believe that JB wants the SU basketball program to remain successful and that he would NEVER do anything to hurt it in the short, intermediate or long term.

I would like to believe this but I can not see an advantage to the SU program with an extension.

I would like to believe this but I can not see an advantage to the SU program with an extension.

Yeah I'm sure Lute Olson, Bobby Bowden, and Bob Knight wanted those same things as well.

I don't recall ever reading that the coaching staff directly instructed people to send emails from players' email accounts or perform other "sketchy academic practices."

Honestly, your replies are the exact sentiment that other fans laugh at. Implying that unless JB was standing over our Director of Basketball Operations shoulder telling him the email address and what to say in the email sent from a players student email address he can't be held responsible is the definition of putting on a pair of orange shaded glasses and sticking your head in the sand.

Violations happened (2x), and however you want to spin it, are reflective of the guy in charge being lax on making sure his underlings were following the most basic of rules. The NCAA punished us pretty harshly, arguably unfairly. The school didn't punish JB for letting his program get loose with its compliance and tarnishing the school's reputation for a second time in 20 years. That makes a strong statement. A statement that was then reinforced yesterday.

Again, not sure how you can say that's debatable but keep replying to my posts with child like rationalizations.

They don't write articles like that about losers. He only proves how relevant J.B. remains.
His tantrums aside he has nothing interesting to say.

Oh, I can.

1. Stability in the short term. A chance to do this coaching transition over a longer period of time and with greater attention to detail
2. Continuity for the current team and for the 17-18 recruits.

Why tie yourself into a date-certain, when you don't have to?

Honestly, your replies are the exact sentiment that other fans laugh at. Implying that unless JB was standing over our Director of Basketball Operations shoulder telling him the email address and what to say in the email sent from a players student email address he can't be held responsible is the definition of putting on a pair of orange shaded glasses and sticking your head in the sand.

Violations happened (2x), and however you want to spin it, are reflective of the guy in charge being lax on making sure his underlings were following the most basic of rules. The NCAA punished us pretty harshly, arguably unfairly. The school didn't punish JB for letting his program get loose with its compliance and tarnishing the school's reputation for a second time in 20 years. That makes a strong statement. A statement that was then reinforced yesterday.

Again, not sure how you can say that's debatable but keep replying to my posts with child like rationalizations.
I couldn't possibly care less what other fans laugh at. Fans are fans.

My reply was simply a factual statement. Unless you have evidence to the contrary, you can't be too defensive when someone replies to a statement like "our coaching staff is the one who had guys emailing from our players student email accounts". If you want to believe that's what happened then knock yourself out. But I find your smarmy and emotionally-charged reply as completely unnecessary.

I couldn't possibly care less what other fans laugh at. Fans are fans.

My reply was simply a factual statement. Unless you have evidence to the contrary, you can't be too defensive when someone replies to a statement like "our coaching staff is the one who had guys emailing from our players student email accounts". If you want to believe that's what happened then knock yourself out. But I find your smarmy and emotionally-charged reply as completely unnecessary.

The NCAA report included the claim that our DOBO, who is technically a member of the staff, was emailing professors from our player's school issued student email account pretending to be the student athlete. They wouldn't include a charge as egregious as that unless they had rock solid evidence. That's embarrassing for our university but instead of calling it what it is on our coaching staff many in our fan base choose to paint us as a victim.

JB would never intentionally do something to hurt the program in the short, intermediate, or long term. He is at the stage of his life where what he feels is right , might not be the right course to follow. Being at that stage of life myself, there are times where I do something, and later realize I was wrong, or misinformed.

he was very good when he first came out of su. now he's just a clown show trying to make headlines. someone at su obviously pissed in his cheerios.

Oh, I thought you were talking about Craig Carton for a second.

The NCAA report included the claim that our DOBO, who is technically a member of the staff, was emailing professors from our player's school issued student email account pretending to be the student athlete. They wouldn't include a charge as egregious as that unless they had rock solid evidence. That's embarrassing for our university but instead of calling it what it is on our coaching staff many in our fan base choose to paint us as a victim.
I remember reading that the NCAA also included many other claims that they couldn't substantiate, but used the totality of unsubstantiated claims as evidence of a lack of control (I'm paraphrasing). This is the land of alternative facts, so take everything you read and hear with a grain of salt, especially if it's coming from Boston sports fans, the NCAA, or Pete Thamel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom