Thank God, no BCS | Syracusefan.com

Thank God, no BCS

Delmar

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Frosh Scorer
If FSU hangs on, then one of either Alabama, Oregon, or the undefeated defending champion Florida State would be sitting out the championship game. The selection of the top 4 will be controversial, but not nearly as much as what would happen if the BCS was still in place.

did they show what the BCS rankings would have been?

I don't know the answer to that. Have they been charing it?

If this was the BCS, FSU would never have been dropped from the #1 ranking, that was committee bullshlit. It would be FSU vs. Bama for the NC in a few weeks.

I think this goes to eight eventually. P5 championship teams plus three at large. The ninth ranked team can cry crocodile tears all it wants.

The BCS gets a bad rap--and of course, that happens because it was made more subjective over time.

It originally started out with a great premise--instead of these disparate polls picking the NC, and often picking different NCs, or not being able to get a NC caliber game due to conference bowl affiliations, let's dispense with both of those, come up with an objective formula, apply it, and figure out who should actually play in the NC game.

The problem was, they didn't like the initial few, and changed the formula so that the polls [the subjective part] had a bigger and bigger influence over the calculation, which kind of defeats the purpose. I don't care what the evaluative criteria was--if you don't like them, tweak the variables and / or their weightings. But the BCS isn't the villain -- it was the people who wanted to corrupt the intent by factoring increasingly high levels of subjectivity into what should have been an objective measurement.

RF2044 said:
The BCS gets a bad rap--and of course, that happens because it was made more subjective over time. It originally started out with a great premise--instead of these disparate polls picking the NC, and often picking different NCs, or not being able to get a NC caliber game due to conference bowl affiliations, let's dispense with both of those, come up with an objective formula, apply it, and figure out who should actually play in the NC game. The problem was, they didn't like the initial few, and changed the formula so that the polls [the subjective part] had a bigger and bigger influence over the calculation, which kind of defeats the purpose. I don't care what the evaluative criteria was--if you don't like them, tweak the variables and / or their weightings. But the BCS isn't the villain -- it was the people who wanted to corrupt the intent by factoring increasingly high levels of subjectivity into what should have been an objective measurement.

I know what you're saying...

I disagree with the premise. Objectivity and subjectivity shouldn't be words associated with picking any kind of national championship.

The playoffs will give us something we've never had: the best teams playing it out on the field.

As a side effect - we had 3-4 meaningful conf championship games. Normally this weekend would about 1-2 games - with the rest being about bowl game jockeying.

Much more entertaining.

I agree with mini above, eventually the allure of $$ and the clamoring of fans will motivate the NCAA to increase the field. It happened in basketball and it will happen in football. Not sure how it would be done, but it will happen.