That Power Run/Tight End Offense Sure Does Suck | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

That Power Run/Tight End Offense Sure Does Suck

When you have tOSU or Oregon talent, scheme is secondary.

I disagree. Meyer went undefeated in year one. Hes lost one game since being there. He brought uf to 2 national titles and look at them now. I dont think this is all talent. All these teams have talent. Coaching sets them apart.

Miami? Florida? Texas? Scheme and coaching matters just as much at that level.

None of those teams are in the same hemisphere of talent to either of the teams playing tonight.

They've been there before, but sure aren't anywhere close now.

supp said:
Miami? Florida? Texas? Scheme and coaching matters just as much at that level.

You're not following what I'm saying in *this thread*.

I agree 100%. We have a better chance of recruiting some big offensive lineman, traditional power tight ends, and running backs, than we do finding the QB and skilled wideouts we would need for that type of system. Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Illinois, and New York offer those type of players. Just my opinion……
What game are you guys watching? Curious.

Yes, running up the middle is easier when you spread the field. This is what people should be seeing in this game.
Up the middle is also easier when you have O lineman who can block!. I am seeing a lot of counter trap blocks with pulling guards and tight ends…..I love the interior line play. That is old school power football mixed with the read option spread attack. Ohio State at it's core is a power based system…at least in terms of O line blocking schemes…

And the thread was started by someone advocating SU would be better off emulating tOSU than Oregon. As if it's THAT which is holding us back from having an offense that is an abject disaster.

Heck, emulating either scheme would be a major step in the right direction (if our current coaches are capable of understanding and teaching them).

If you have giants who can run like deer, great. But I still see lots of 3 and 4 wr sets
Even with the 3 and 4 wide receiver sets, Ohio State is still running the ball with great offensive line play using counter traps and using tight ends along with pulling guards. A very traditional Power offensive line blocking scheme. Syracuse went with a phylosophy of smaller offensive lineman to supposedly allow them to play up tempo football. Ohio State is showing a read option scheme with powerful offensive line play..

Exactly. Scheme shmeme.
If Stanford played Wisconsin we'd be hearing plenty about scheme. Two similar shotgun spread to run teams who study each other get past 123 other teams, and it's scheme shmeme

you mean all these 4 and 5 stars aren't just mistakes by the recruiting services?

Best talent money can buy. I laughed during the telecast when herbstreet mentioned Meyers told him all the underclassmen were coming back. Strange thing to know for a fact that all your players would he passing up a big payday... unless of course they arent

I'd strangle a cute animal to have just half of either teams talent.

Scheme is secondary at best.

The trouble is we can't bring in that talent right now, but we can bring in that scheme and coaching if we hire and pay the right offensive coaches. Maybe we have already and Lester can do that. You have to start somewhere and he could just be at the start of a similar effective offensive scheme coaching history. We have to hope that is the case.

Coaching makes bad talent look mediocre, and good talent look championship worthy. Still, give HCSS the same talent that they have at tOSU or Oregon, and Syracuse would be at minimum 9-3.

Best talent money can buy. I laughed during the telecast when herbstreet mentioned Meyers told him all the underclassmen were coming back. Strange thing to know for a fact that all your players would he passing up a big payday... unless of course they arent

Or, you know, they're not draft eligible, which most of his team isn't.

Scheme has to fit the talent.

Both teams have offensive systems built on one play building up to another. Lots of play action leaving seams wide open and drawing safeties and linebackers up.

The team that won was the team that controlled the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball and was able to run at will.

Both teams spread the field with OSU employing more TEs. Both used TEs though.

Or, you know, they're not draft eligible, which most of his team isn't.

Except it makes no sense to mention that the non draft eligible players aren't entering the draft. Thus you'd have to surmise he was talking about the draft eligible guys with college eligibilty left.

SU should aspire to the OSU offense, not the Ducks'.
Totally agree, physical play can be a great equalizer to speed on the football field and going back to a more physical use of the TE will hopefully put SU back in line with the talent it has to work with. Perhaps guys like Tyler Provo can begin to emulate his brother's effectiveness and see the field this year...Kendall Moore was originally recruited as a OT, line 'em up and go

I think, those who want a power run offense are about to get it. If you are the OC for SU and you look over your roster knowing that you have a year, maybe 2 at best, what offense are you going to run?

I have to say, on a job security basis, I run the ball. All of our coaches, save Bullough and Daoust, to some extent are in a position where their careers are on the line. If they are able to turn things around, they look great - otherwise not so much.

The smart move is to run the ball and try to be competitive, get back to a bowl and save the future.

I think, those who want a power run offense are about to get it. If you are the OC for SU and you look over your roster knowing that you have a year, maybe 2 at best, what offense are you going to run?

I have to say, on a job security basis, I run the ball. All of our coaches, save Bullough and Daoust, to some extent are in a position where their careers are on the line. If they are able to turn things around, they look great - otherwise not so much.

The smart move is to run the ball and try to be competitive, get back to a bowl and save the future.
Yup. They're bringing in the JUCO TE, Hunt certainly has the potential to perform somewhat like OSU's 3rd string guy, got RBs, got enough at WR. The key will be in getting the OL to perform and that requires a huge improvement over last year when they flat out sucked. (Yeah, yeah, injuries - don't want to hear it.)

Agreed. But I also think that all of the crying about losing McDonald's spread concepts are going to be surprised to see some of the formations we use. I don't think we'll be lining up tight with 8 guys in the box the whole game. He'll spread them out too. Expect Dunk or Custis to flex out into the slot, with Hunt running out of it.

there are very few people here that don't want them to run the ball

my quibbles are that 2 tight end jumbo stuff isn't the easiest way to do it and people shouldn't pretend like OSU is running anything like a two tight end offense

urban meyer likes to spread it out and use giant QBs as battering rams. i'm fine with doing that here with Hunt. but we're not going to!

Cardale Jones was a 3 star prospect out of high school with offers from cincinnati, toledo (official visit), miami ohio, illinios, bowling green, iowa etc. i don't even know if he was a meyer recruit. he might have been a tressel kid. he was a 2012 recruit who had to prep a year hargrave.

there are very few people here that don't want them to run the ball

my quibbles are that 2 tight end jumbo stuff isn't the easiest way to do it and people shouldn't pretend like OSU is running anything like a two tight end offense

urban meyer likes to spread it out and use giant QBs as battering rams. i'm fine with doing that here with Hunt. but we're not going to!

Hmm. You've seen the playbook?

You're right it's not the easiest to do what you dream about with the air raid - but it's not hard to gain some of the advantages of both the power run with 2 TE and spreading out (without the D subbing) and doing a run/run/pass option with your big QB.

I think that's what we'll be seeing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom