That was the best defensive effort I have ever seen | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

That was the best defensive effort I have ever seen

Two points:

1. Can anyone be inducted into the Hall of Fame twice?

2. And how about giving us back those victories you POS NCAA!

Especially, as I've said before. if any of the games that were stripped were on account of Fab Melo's academic transgression. FFS, SU suspended him not once but TWICE in the same season because of it. The NCAA gave us the green light for him to return the first time. The second time, we again suspended him, for the post season, when letting him play would have given us not a sure shot at the title, there is no such thing, but an excellent chance. Why the need to punish a school for a third time for the same transgression? Which may have not even been a tutor writing a whole paper for him, but adding footnotes when editing what Fab wrote. I'm still not clear on that.

And yet, North Carolina's decades long manipulation of classes and grades for hundreds of student athletes may be ruled none of the NCAA's concern. Sure, they can scrutinize the HS curriculum of a student in an African country, but not the college courses of one of its members. OOOKKKAAAYYY...

We can beat UVa but I really wish we were playing a non-ACC team with only 1 day to prepare.

No doubt. I think I would take any of the 4 teams on the other side, save maybe Kansas (that's close), mainly to gain that advantage.

When they played in C'Ville, the feeling after the game was that it would be anyone's game on a neutral court (i.e. ACC tourney). The flip side is that Malachi and G shot the ball extremely well that game, including a few from very deep. So I think the one certainty of this game is that at least 2 (and probably 3) players must have very good shooting nights. Without that its impossible to see an SU win. Virginia's ceiling is not as high as UNC or Kansas (or maybe even Nova, Or. or Ok.), but their floor is probably higher than any team in the country. So there is no way last night's offensive performance will keep this game close. And of course the defense they are facing will be much tougher than Gonzaga. Turning up the offense against UVA is a tremendous challenge and I cannot say I expect it, but at the same time it would not surprise to see Syracuse put together its best offensive performance yet. You just have to love the free roll.

Cooney deserves mad credit for his defense down the stretch. His steal and layup off the inbounds. His de facto steal that caused the ten second call. And his steal in the corner that was overturned.
Cooney showing me how much ill miss his defense. I will say he did play his best offensive game when he only hit 1 three pointer. He kept driving to the rim and got most of his points inside the arc or at the line. My god I wish he always played like this. I honestly don't believe I have ever seen him take as many shots inside the arc like he did last night.

To be honest --- Cooney has been tremendous; he's taking shots within the flow of the offense, driving to the rim, and playing great on D. Howard has been playing really well too.

Deep down I think Cooney has 1 more 6 or 7 3pt game left in him ...

Law of averages says we shoot better on Sunday, but of course nothing is guaranteed.

My biggest worry is that our guys will be gassed from the effort they put in today. Virginia won easily and we had to put everything we had and then some into our win.

I'm with you on the we have to shoot better against UVA. I mean we shot 36% from the field and still won...holy crap. If you told me we would shoot 36% for the game I would have said no chance in heck that we win that game. So we are due for a better offensive game... I hope.

I don't think they'll be gassed, no chance whatsoever. They have a full day off, that is plenty of time to recover and be ready. Now could they be emotionally spent after this game? I would be more worried about that. Maybe it's really the same thing?

coaching call of the game was when JB took robbie out at the 6 minute mark for a breather, then we got another tv timeout a minute later. :p But When he took that press off I almost lost it.:)
Because we were down one, lots of time, and they had just broken the press and should have scored.

If you recall IU had Zeller and Oladipo and they were no slouches either :)
If anything, they had more balance. They were a legit top team and a popular pick to win it all. I was sad seeing them lose last night, taking away a second chance to whoop them.

If you recall IU had Zeller and Oladipo and they were no slouches either :)
Yes, but they didn't play like this. Sabonis should have dropped the Mike, walked out and said hello NBA.

Cooney deserves mad credit for his defense down the stretch. His steal and layup off the inbounds. His de facto steal that caused the ten second call. And his steal in the corner that was overturned.

This game was all about defensive hustle, especially down the stretch as Gonzaga tired, so it makes sense and is appropriate that the guy who hustles maybe more than any SU player ever, comes away as the star.

No doubt. I think I would take any of the 4 teams on the other side, save maybe Kansas (that's close), mainly to gain that advantage.

When they played in C'Ville, the feeling after the game was that it would be anyone's game on a neutral court (i.e. ACC tourney). The flip side is that Malachi and G shot the ball extremely well that game, including a few from very deep. So I think the one certainty of this game is that at least 2 (and probably 3) players must have very good shooting nights. Without that its impossible to see an SU win. Virginia's ceiling is not as high as UNC or Kansas (or maybe even Nova, Or. or Ok.), but their floor is probably higher than any team in the country. So there is no way last night's offensive performance will keep this game close. And of course the defense they are facing will be much tougher than Gonzaga. Turning up the offense against UVA is a tremendous challenge and I cannot say I expect it, but at the same time it would not surprise to see Syracuse put together its best offensive performance yet. You just have to love the free roll.

Great post. I think you break it down the best I have heard so far.

Virginia has the lowest ceiling of any the elite teams, but also the highest floor. We probably have a lower chance beating them playing an average game than we would against Kansas, UNC, Nova, etc. but I also think we have a better chance to beat them if we play a good game than any of the previous mentioned. I'm not upset about the match up at all. If you look at the teams left, none of them are easy outs. Virginia will probably win this game, but Syracuse definitely CAN win the game, and you can't ask for much more than that this late in the tournament with this team.

Is Virginia the match up we want? No.

Are we better than Virginia? No.

Do we have a punchers chance in this game? Hell yes! Virginia does not want to go up against us with only one day to prepare. Nobody does.

Law of averages says we shoot better on Sunday, but of course nothing is guaranteed.

My biggest worry is that our guys will be gassed from the effort they put in today. Virginia won easily and we had to put everything we had and then some into our win.
Honestly, I think we want NO ONE for the rest of the Tourney! Maybe Carolina, whom we played close and whom we will get if we beat Virginia.

We were all saying the "law of averages" thing last night. Surely, SURELY, we will be on! We certainly couldn't be more off than last night. How we won seems to be a miracle!

Yes, we might be gassed but let's hope the adrenaline shoots into them at game time like a herd of thundering buffaloes. And that we will STOT
th

ourselves into the Final Four!!!

orange44 said:
I have been watching SU since 1975 and can honestly say JB was at his best last night. Outstanding!!!

I've been watching them since 75 as well. Lol. Freshman year - I think Danforths last year.

As a big fan of defensive basketball, I think the General is correct about the effort last night. But what also has to be mentioned is that Gonzaga played great defensively as well. Kept our three point shooters from doing much at all, and challenged every shot inside. You could say our guys had an off night, but that's mainly because they were pushed well out of their comfort zone. That resulted in us seeing a Cooney many believed existed but hadn't been seen in a long time, the driving Cooney.

I'm ecstatic we won, but that was a great defensive battle last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom