"THAT'S THE NEW RULE!" | Syracusefan.com

"THAT'S THE NEW RULE!"

A Clockwork Orange

2022 Cali Winner (Overall Record)
After coach finished saying Bull S h i t over and over again, he started yelling at any ref who would listen "that's the new rule!" He's right, as CJ started his upward move, Hood was still moving.

It was a bang-bang play, no doubt, but in that spot -- do you really make the call? Swallow your whistle there, let the players on the court decide it. The game should be in overtime.

People who are saying Boeheim lost the game -- give it a rest. They were losing that game after that call regardless. Yes, SU still had a chance. But SU had a chance with CJ's drive, and they took that away as well. We weren't winning that game in that building in our first year in the ACC. Call it homerism, call it the 'crowd effect', SU wasn't winning. I personally loved the Boeheim outburst.

For everyone saying that it wasn't calculated, I agree. But has anyone seen coach get T'ed up in close games in the past five or six years? It doesn't happen anymore. That may not have been calculated, but he was definitely sending a message to the refs, and maybe, just maybe that play goes our way the next time.

Looking forward to seeing Duke in the ACC tourney, they're a good team, and it's a good, fun match up to watch.

Make up call for the end of the game at the dome - JB has to keep composure there - inexcusable

Make up call for the end of the game at the dome - JB has to keep composure there - inexcusable
I thought the blocking fouls on us in the 2nd half were make up calls. Apparently they didn't make up enough lol

How was that make-up call. If you read the rule with Grant's block he was vertical on the play, thus no foul. Someone posted that a day or so after that game.

You mean the clean block at the end of the game? The one where he got the ball before the arm? That make up call? Anyone who is saying "make up" call is an idiot. Different refs making things right three weeks after the the game. Yep, that makes sense. So yes, what I'm saying is you're an idiot, troll.

A Clockwork Orange said:
After coach finished saying Bull S h i t over and over again, he started yelling at any ref who would listen "that's the new rule!" He's right, as CJ started his upward move, Hood was still moving. It was a bang-bang play, no doubt, but in that spot -- do you really make the call? Swallow your whistle there, let the players on the court decide it. The game should be in overtime. People who are saying Boeheim lost the game -- give it a rest. They were losing that game after that call regardless. Yes, SU still had a chance. But SU had a chance with CJ's drive, and they took that away as well. We weren't winning that game in that building in our first year in the ACC. Call it homerism, call it the 'crowd effect', SU wasn't winning. I personally loved the Boeheim outburst. For everyone saying that it wasn't calculated, I agree. But has anyone seen coach get T'ed up in close games in the past five or six years? It doesn't happen anymore. That may not have been calculated, but he was definitely sending a message to the refs, and maybe, just maybe that play goes our way the next time. Looking forward to seeing Duke in the ACC tourney, they're a good team, and it's a good, fun match up to watch.

Who are these people saying JB lost the game?

I'm glad he got pissed. It was a bad call and he let then know about it. Game was over at that point.

Glad he reacted like that. He and every other coach are sick of these refs not knowing the rules of COLLEGE basketball. If the Parker/Gbingie play was a block then the call at the end should have been a block.

well jay bilas immediately comes to mind.

Maybe a fine line, but Bilas's immediate commentary was that JB's reaction took away any chance for SU to still win the game, however remote. I don't think Bilas used the words "JB lost the game" or anything like that.

The block call at the Dome = the charge call at Cameron is about as false as an equivalency gets. Christmas made the block and then got hit by Hood as he went through him. In Cameron Hood was not in front of Fair- he was a half step to the side. He was trying to make up that half step and moved into Fair as he leapt toward the basket.

Well, I just heard it on ESPN again. So I think that counts. I'm not going to search through this board, but people here were saying the same thing. "He cost us any chance at the game" is the same as "he lost the game." Anything else is just semantics.

SWC75 said:
The block call at the Dome = the charge call at Cameron is about as false as an equivalency gets. Christmas made the block and then got hit by Hood as he went through him. In Cameron Hood was not in front of Fair- he was a half step to the side. He was trying to make up that half step and moved into Fair as he leapt toward the basket.

To say nothing of the fact that in one instance, the defender was being aggressive making a play and in the other, the defender was being a pansy and hoping for the ref to make a call.

Keep in mind what an entitled bunch duke fans are--they've come to expect every call to go their way, and were livid when they didn't get an undeserved call at the end of the first game. They're clearly mollified now, knowing that they got one last night that stole the game.

To say nothing of the fact that in one instance, the defender was being aggressive making a play and in the other, the defender was being a pansy and hoping for the ref to make a call.

I loved Bob Ryan's question: "When did standing there and doing nothing become 'defense'?"

It's like a catcher blocking the plate without the ball.

Make up call for indisputable video evidence of a clean block and follow through contact created by Hood? That makes sense

What make up call? in the first game the refs let the players plays decide the winner - Hood had not score - he missed the dunk - in this game the refs decided to get involved in who won - they made a call that took our points off the board - we had ACTUALLY scored - if you don't want to call it a block no problem - let the players decide the outcome and we are tied

My thought is that if the call against Gbiniji was a block, then the call on Hood should have been the same. Both should either have been blocks or charges. They looked as close to be the same thing to me. As it happened, both went Duke's way. In Cameron of course. And I think that is what caused JB's reaction.

My thought is that if the call against Gbiniji was a block, then the call on Hood should have been the same. Both should either have been blocks or charges. They looked as close to be the same thing to me. As it happened, both went Duke's way. In Cameron of course. And I think that is what caused JB's reaction.
I disagree, I think Silent G had position and both calls went the wrong way.

I think it's pretty clear. Bees and Jay Bilas are guilty. They are banished from Gotham. Now onto the ice with you both. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom