The Adrian Autry Show - before Boston College | Syracusefan.com

The Adrian Autry Show - before Boston College

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Autry’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. Last year they did a third half hour segment on Twitch.
Their schedule: AmeriCU Adrian Autry Show Starts Nov. 7 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics Someday they will get around to switching it from the "Jim Boeheim Show" to "The Adrian Autry Show", although it would be fun to have both. (They also haven’t switched Dino Babers to Fran Brown.)
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or Twitter (@CuseLearfield) using the hashtag #AskAutry.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometimes simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, Audiobooks, and Podcasts If not, try: https://cuse.com/watch?Live=6575&type=Live

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, we have several guys who can hit the occasional 3 but our most talented outside shooters are clearly Chris Bell and Justin Taylor. Against Duke, they played a combined 33 minutes and only attempted three shots, making none of them. What can we do to get them more shots and what can they do to make more of them?”

COACH AUTRY
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Coach Autry: We played well, (against Duke), for 25 minutes. We executed and made it tough for them. Unforced errors, which we haven’t had in a while, killed us. They got easy transition threes. Take away Mitchell, (I wish we had), and they’re probably the best three point shooting team in the nation. We handled Kyle Filipowski well and then we self-destructed. Matt noted that Maliq Brown “blew past” his former career high of 20 points to score 26. AA: “But that stopped when we started turning the ball over. Our defense has made tremendous strides. Offense comes and goes. We are rebounding better. We knew at halftime that their 3 point game was going to bounce back. There are no moral victories. It’s very disappointing. It’s hard to win and it really hard to win on the road.”

I called in my question. AA: “We’re scoring a good amount of points. But we could push transition more and get them some easy looks and set better screens.” [I hate the terms “easy looks” or “easy shots”. Nothing going on out there is easy. I’d rather they use the term ‘open’.] “We get a lot of 2 on 1 fast breaks, which makes it harder to get a three.” I was going to follow-up by asking how confident Chris and Justin are but Matt cut me off. But he continued with the theme: “If a shooter is hot, he keeps shooting and if he he’s not he keeps shooting to get hot. What about Judah’s penetrations: could he drive and kick?” Coach didn’t answer that: “Duke can get three pointers so we try to get them to take 2 point shots. When you play us you try to stop Judah, JJ and Maliq. What good is a rushed shot? We want good, makable shots. We had great spacing against Duke until the turnovers. It allowed Maliq to roll. Good spacing is how we get the shots we want.” Matt reversed this: “We have to make shots to get spacing.“

Someone named Michael called in to say that “JFK said that we need to energize the indifferent”. I thought he was going to talk about Chris Bell but he simply said that that “Fans believe in this team”. Matt said that there are very few indifferent basketball fans in Central New York.

They talked about the Pitt game. Matt said that Blake Hinson had player of the year numbers but we were “up to the challenge.” They had beaten us 5 times in 6 years. AA: “I was impressed that we were down 11 but we kept going. It had that Colgate feeling.”

Matt went over the ACC results, including Pittsburgh’s loss to North Carolina, which makes them 0-3 in the conference, Notre Dame beating NC State after they’d beaten Virginia by 20. Also U. of Miami beat Joe Girard’s Clemson team in a game similar to ours with Duke, (and also the women’s team’s loss to UNC tonight), in that the opposition couldn’t miss in the second half, but Joe led his team with 18 points. Wake Forest had 8 wins in a row. Virginia pounded poor Louisville 77-53. “They have the second best defense in the country.” He noted that the current ACC schedule has rotations where teams get a weekend off and this was Syracuse’s turn, (with a 20 game season it seems odd to take weekends off). Matt said the only way to get through this ACC schedule is to “put your helmet on and keep playing.” [Will they allow that?] AA: “One thing I got from Coach Boeheim: Don’t get too high or low. Whether it’s a great victory or disappointing loss, you need to prepare for the next game.” MP; 1,400 games. That’s a lot of sleepless nights.”

They talked about our next opponent, Boston College. AA: “They are playing really well. (Quinton) Post [ideal name for a center] is playing at a first team ACC level and may have ACC Player of the Year numbers: (18.4p 8.1r 3.2a and 54%/47%/82% shooting). He’s another big skill guy who can shoot threes.” Matt mentioned that it’s another game where Naseem McLeod would have a tough time. AA: “It’s hard to come out to help and get back to rebound. Anybody can be on the perimeter now. There are few traditional low post power players anymore, [not even Post]. Filipowski is 7-0, maybe 7-1, can shoot it and put it on the floor.” [Another phrase I hate. I can put it on the floor. I can’t dribble.] “That’s why we need a Maliq Brown.” MP: “The speed of his hands is amazing.” AA: “He’s strong, quick and disruptive. The next guy to do this (develop into a star) will be Benny. Benny is recognizing what it takes to be a contributor. We had our little…regression. I’m very proud of him. Wining is important but it’s more important to impact lives…We need another guy who can stretch the floor. If we can get that, it will be hard to guard our guys.”

The women’s team went down hard, 51-75 but Dyaishia Fair scored 18 points and is approaching 3,000 for her career, (which began at Buffalo). She could wind up with the 2nd most points in the history of women’s college basketball. Adrian said that under Coach Jack, the team will come back. “When you’ve got an emotional leader who cares about them, the players will do anything for that coach.” Coach said he watches Caitlyn Clark play basketball any time he gets the chance.

Kelly asked what it feels like to be coaching your alma mater. AA: “It’s a dream come true. I’ve spent a significant portion of my life here. We have to defend our school and our community, which is one of the greatest in college sports.”

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom