The Adrian Autry Show - before NC State I | Syracusefan.com

The Adrian Autry Show - before NC State I

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Autry’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8:30PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. They are again doing a third half hour segment on Twitch: I think I will save myself some time by posting the main show and linking the Twitch segment the next day when it shows up on You-Tube.

Their schedule: AmeriCU Adrian Autry Show Starts Nov. 7 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics The choice, finally is the “Adrian Autry Show” or the “Fran Brown Show”!
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or Twitter (@CuseLearfield) using the hashtag #AskAutry.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometimes simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, Audiobooks, and Podcasts If not, try: https://cuse.com/watch?Live=6575&type=Live

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, JJ Starling is finally becoming an offensive force for this team. Last year, Benny Williams shot 40% from three. This year it’s 21%. Justin Taylor was 39% last year. This year he’s 32% and has become reluctant to shoot. What can be done to get these guys going?”

On Twitch I will ask: “Coach, all our losses haven been by 16 points or more. Is that going to make a difference to the NCAA committee, or do they just want to know who you have beaten?”

COACH AUTRY
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Mat opened with radio highlights of the recent games and then went to commercial. I then called in my first questions. Coach Autry, with some irritation said that this had been asked before, (not by me, at least not specific to these two players), and gave a brief answer: “We need to do a better job moving the ball. It’s hard to get good looks when you are a good shooter. They need to step into their shots.” Mat, as usual, picked it up from there.: It’s not about plays, it’s about concepts and understanding. Bell’s roll on the last shot had to be honored. I’ve seen you in practice and you actually have lines on the floor to mark the proper spacing.” AA: “The defense has to make a decision. If they are close in together, they don’t have to make decisions. You can’t measure the value of shooter just by the numbers. On the play we ran, Judah had to make a decision. Maliq rolled to the basket and Judah made an unbelievable read. Q’s guy lost focus.” MP: “He’s the one Miami is going to dare.” AA: “You live and die by it.”

Matt admired Miami coach Jim Larranaga for congratulating Quadir on the shot in the handshake line. AA: “I’ve known him for a long time. I played with his son in Europe. He shook hands with Quadir and told him “That was quite a shot!” The Miami game was back and forth, emotionally hard. The we had a short turnaround for the Florida State game. We had good momentum until the 8-9 minute mark.” (Actually, it was the last 16 minutes; we were up 46-39 and the rest of the game was 23-46.)

They went over ACC results. After missing our game, Miami’s Norchad Omier dropped 33 points on Notre Dame. [We sure dodged a bullet there. We could have had a 2 game losing streak if he’s played.]
RJ Davis scored 36 on Wake Forest. Duke pulled away from Louisville. North Carolina State lost to Virginia in overtime despite out-scoring them 32-20 in the second half – and they just missed a buzzer shot at the end of regulation. Pitt beat Duke and Georgia Tech after we’d beaten them twice. It was their first win at Cameron since 1979. We now have the longest streak of losses to Duke of anyone in the conference. “But every team in the conference has had a streak like that against Duke.” Matt said that someone had determined that, of the major conferences, the home teams have had the lowest winning percentage. AA: “It’s a very challenging league, top to bottom.”

Michael called in in a poetic mood. “Teams can be hot or cold. What color is fire?” Coach didn’t know what to say. Michel: “Orange! Be hot and limit cool and don’t burn bridges.” AA: “It might feel good at the time but don’t do it!” Michael had hung up. Matt: “Would you rather fight a duck the size of a horse or a lot of horses the size of ducks? Why do we park in driveways and drive in parkways? Why does sour cream have an expiration date?” With that, they moved on.

Dave Bing is in town for his addition to the ring of honor. Matt said he had recently interviewed him, so that should show up on You-Tube. He admired the 1966 team for coming within a couple of baskets of averaging 100 points a game with no shot clock and no three point line. Dave will also be addressing the team at tomorrow’s practice. AA: “Our players know who he is and what he’s accomplished. He’s bene impactful for a long time. He’s a person of impact.” Matt: “He was friends with Ernie Davis, Jim Brown and Jim Boeheim…40 years down the line, you’ll be friends with the same people and share the same experiences.”

About NC State, our next opponent: “DJ Burns is a unique player. He’s the widest player in the country [6-9 275] He leads the country in production per minutes. [Not really: 15.8 NP/40). He’s very nimble. He plays at his own pace, scoring, rebounding and passing. He’s fun to watch.” Matt said he could run a clinic on footwork. Matt suggested that he’ll be facing a very unique player in Maliq Brown (22.8 NP/40). AA: ‘He’s a unique guy, too. It’s an interesting match-up. Speed and quickness vs. strong and agile….NC State is very similar to Florida State. They press the ball and have good balance. We have to defend better and rebound – go to the glass.” He also, according to my scribbled notes, said “if they throw it long they aren’t really trying to score so we just have to match-up.” I have no idea what that means.

Our next game after NC State is a rematch at Boston College. Quinten Post, after being blanked in the Dome, has recovered, scoring 51 points with 21 rebounds in his last three games. “It’s one of those things that never really happened and now he’s gone on a tear.”

They did a trivia question: This player averaged 50% from the field, 40% from the three point line, 75% from the field, sat one year then played one year and left. Who is he?

How do we get the momentum back? AA: “It’s along season. We can’t get caught up in one game. We have to prepare for each game. Keep your head down and when the season ends, you go one from there. I remember when, as a freshman we started 0-4 and ended up winning the league. [That would have been 1990-91 we started 13-0 but 1-2 in the league and won it at 12-4. Just approach each game (the same way), that’s was it is. (Also) Win at home.”

The Twitch Segment:

Adrian Autry Q&A 1-25-24

I asked my question about margin of defeat, did a follow-up about Chance Westry’s status, (is it time to request and extra year from the NCAA), how much can we expect from Carey and Hima, (Gomez only mentioned Hima and that’s all AA talked about.)

Coach Autry’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8:30PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. They are again doing a third half hour segment on Twitch: I think I will save myself some time by posting the main show and linking the Twitch segment the next day when it shows up on You-Tube.

Their schedule: AmeriCU Adrian Autry Show Starts Nov. 7 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics The choice, finally is the “Adrian Autry Show” or the “Fran Brown Show”!
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or Twitter (@CuseLearfield) using the hashtag #AskAutry.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometimes simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, Audiobooks, and Podcasts If not, try: https://cuse.com/watch?Live=6575&type=Live

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, JJ Starling is finally becoming an offensive force for this team. Last year, Benny Williams shot 40% from three. This year it’s 21%. Justin Taylor was 39% last year. This year he’s 32% and has become reluctant to shoot. What can be done to get these guys going?”

On Twitch I will ask: “Coach, all our losses haven been by 16 points or more. Is that going to make a difference to the NCAA committee, or do they just want to know who you have beaten?”

COACH AUTRY
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Mat opened with radio highlights of the recent games and then went to commercial. I then called in my first questions. Coach Autry, with some irritation said that this had been asked before, (not by me, at least not specific to these two players), and gave a brief answer: “We need to do a better job moving the ball. It’s hard to get good looks when you are a good shooter. They need to step into their shots.” Mat, as usual, picked it up from there.: It’s not about plays, it’s about concepts and understanding. Bell’s roll on the last shot had to be honored. I’ve seen you in practice and you actually have lines on the floor to mark the proper spacing.” AA: “The defense has to make a decision. If they are close in together, they don’t have to make decisions. You can’t measure the value of shooter just by the numbers. On the play we ran, Judah had to make a decision. Maliq rolled to the basket and Judah made an unbelievable read. Q’s guy lost focus.” MP: “He’s the one Miami is going to dare.” AA: “You live and die by it.”

Matt admired Miami coach Jim Larranaga for congratulating Quadir on the shot in the handshake line. AA: “I’ve known him for a long time. I played with his son in Europe. He shook hands with Quadir and told him “That was quite a shot!” The Miami game was back and forth, emotionally hard. The we had a short turnaround for the Florida State game. We had good momentum until the 8-9 minute mark.” (Actually, it was the last 16 minutes; we were up 46-39 and the rest of the game was 23-46.)

They went over ACC results. After missing our game, Miami’s Norchad Omier dropped 33 points on Notre Dame. [We sure dodged a bullet there. We could have had a 2 game losing streak if he’s played.]
RJ Davis scored 36 on Wake Forest. Duke pulled away from Louisville. North Carolina State lost to Virginia in overtime despite out-scoring them 32-20 in the second half – and they just missed a buzzer shot at the end of regulation. Pitt beat Duke and Georgia Tech after we’d beaten them twice. It was their first win at Cameron since 1979. We now have the longest streak of losses to Duke of anyone in the conference. “But every team in the conference has had a streak like that against Duke.” Matt said that someone had determined that, of the major conferences, the home teams have had the lowest winning percentage. AA: “It’s a very challenging league, top to bottom.”

Michael called in in a poetic mood. “Teams can be hot or cold. What color is fire?” Coach didn’t know what to say. Michel: “Orange! Be hot and limit cool and don’t burn bridges.” AA: “It might feel good at the time but don’t do it!” Michael had hung up. Matt: “Would you rather fight a duck the size of a horse or a lot of horses the size of ducks? Why do we park in driveways and drive in parkways? Why does sour cream have an expiration date?” With that, they moved on.

Dave Bing is in town for his addition to the ring of honor. Matt said he had recently interviewed him, so that should show up on You-Tube. He admired the 1966 team for coming within a couple of baskets of averaging 100 points a game with no shot clock and no three point line. Dave will also be addressing the team at tomorrow’s practice. AA: “Our players know who he is and what he’s accomplished. He’s bene impactful for a long time. He’s a person of impact.” Matt: “He was friends with Ernie Davis, Jim Brown and Jim Boeheim…40 years down the line, you’ll be friends with the same people and share the same experiences.”

About NC State, our next opponent: “DJ Burns is a unique player. He’s the widest player in the country [6-9 275] He leads the country in production per minutes. [Not really: 15.8 NP/40). He’s very nimble. He plays at his own pace, scoring, rebounding and passing. He’s fun to watch.” Matt said he could run a clinic on footwork. Matt suggested that he’ll be facing a very unique player in Maliq Brown (22.8 NP/40). AA: ‘He’s a unique guy, too. It’s an interesting match-up. Speed and quickness vs. strong and agile….NC State is very similar to Florida State. They press the ball and have good balance. We have to defend better and rebound – go to the glass.” He also, according to my scribbled notes, said “if they throw it long they aren’t really trying to score so we just have to match-up.” I have no idea what that means.

Our next game after NC State is a rematch at Boston College. Quinten Post, after being blanked in the Dome, has recovered, scoring 51 points with 21 rebounds in his last three games. “It’s one of those things that never really happened and now he’s gone on a tear.”

They did a trivia question: This player averaged 50% from the field, 40% from the three point line, 75% from the field, sat one year then played one year and left. Who is he?

How do we get the momentum back? AA: “It’s along season. We can’t get caught up in one game. We have to prepare for each game. Keep your head down and when the season ends, you go one from there. I remember when, as a freshman we started 0-4 and ended up winning the league. [That would have been 1990-91 we started 13-0 but 1-2 in the league and won it at 12-4. Just approach each game (the same way), that’s was it is. (Also) Win at home.”

The Twitch Segment:

Adrian Autry Q&A 1-25-24

I asked my question about margin of defeat, did a follow-up about Chance Westry’s status, (is it time to request and extra year from the NCAA), how much can we expect from Carey and Hima, (Gomez only mentioned Hima and that’s all AA talked about.)
Yep, gimme Maliq all damn day. Burns is a lard ass

Yep, gimme Maliq all damn day. Burns is a lard ass

I hope Malik will be available all day. Burns its the type that fouls out centers.

("Why isn't fouls drawn part of the box score?" - Judah Mintz)

Trivia answer-Wes Johnson in 09-10. We still should be talking about the title that year if Onuaku doesn't get take out by g'town or Butler and the refs decided to play by football rules in the ncaas.

We should have three nattys: '87, '03 and '10. (If we did, we would be complaining about how that still wasn't as many as UCONN).

Actually Burns footwork in the paint has impressed me for such a big guy. He motors pretty well for a guy his size but hope that Brown’s speed can help us in transition to beat him down the court.
Yeah, I don't question his skill at all. I've just never seen him finish a game, and he's usually grabbing his knees by about the 7 or 8 minumetamark. they usually substitute him out late in the game because he can't get down the floor in the games I've seen

He actually plays a little over 26 minutes a game while SU‘s Brown averages 25 whose playing time has and will increase because of McLeod’s injury.He’s one of the best passing big men so doubling him can be dangerous since he’s good at passing out of it for an assist (averaging 3 assists a game). He is skilled but he can be foul prone but Brown can be too with increased minutes.

Neither team is a great consistent 3 point shooting team nor rebounding team. On paper we look like pretty even teams but NCSt is older and much more experienced. They start three 5th year grad students, a junior and a freshman with another junior coming off the bench.

If we're counting all the should haves then we need to include 2012 where only a term paper footnote kept us from the title.

The competition was much stronger in 2012 than 2010. Now if AD had come here...

SWC: "Actually, it was the last 16 minutes; we were up 46-39 and the rest of the game was 23-46."
OUCH. That was hard to watch. Talk about going off the rails...

SWC: "Actually, it was the last 16 minutes; we were up 46-39 and the rest of the game was 23-46."
OUCH. That was hard to watch. Talk about going off the rails...
Looking at the 2nd half play by play, it was 56-58 with 8:46 left in the game so we were in it till then but totally fell apart. We scored only 13 points in over the last 8 minutes while they scored 27 points.

Looking at the 2nd half play by play, it was 56-58 with 8:46 left in the game so we were in it till then but totally fell apart. We scored only 13 points in over the last 8 minutes while they scored 27 points.

56-58 minus 46-39, (which was our biggest lead) is 10-19, not a very good stretch, either.

The comment about SU now having the longest losing streak against Duke may extend beyond next year when they add Flagg to the team.

The kid is the best HS player I've seen and that includes Melo and Bron. He is more like those two after their HS days.

The comment about SU now having the longest losing streak against Duke may extend beyond next year when they add Flagg to the team.

The kid is the best HS player I've seen and that includes Melo and Bron. He is more like those two after their HS days.
He plays in the same league as Donovan Freeman who had the same stats as him. Not saying he’s just as good, but they’ll lose games.

It’s the exact same thing that was said about the Zion class. They had the 2nd best recruiting class this year and 2 McDonalds All Americans can’t get off the bench on a team with 4 losses?

For all that is holy, he isn’t close to Bron was in HS. Bron would have been the #1 draft pick as a sophomore in HS.

People are wilding out over a kid that isn’t going to be close to what they think.

You think he was as good as Luka at the same age? Here’s a hint - not even close.

He plays in the same league as Donovan Freeman who had the same stats as him. Not saying he’s just as good, but they’ll lose games.

It’s the exact same thing that was said about the Zion class. They had the 2nd best recruiting class this year and 2 McDonalds All Americans can’t get off the bench on a team with 4 losses?

Someone the recruiting board compared him to KD.

KD!

People are nuts.

Someone the recruiting board compared him to KD.

KD!

People are nuts.
I say he may have a Chet Holmgren like impact and Holmgren was pretty hyped himself. He still “only” averaged 14 and 10 at Gonzaga.

We'll have to see. I appreciate the buzz that goes on with these kids, but I think Flagg is more athletic than most. Just my opinion and nothing more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom