The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 134 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

Rutgers to play Maryland in Yankee Stadium

Let's get this straight, Rutgers refuses to play Notre Dame in the Meadowlands because ND should respect Rutgers and play in the small home stadium when the Meadowlands is just a few miles down the road. Now, Rutgers will play Maryland in Yankee Stadium giving up a home game to lay further away against an opponent nobody in NYC cares about in the smaller Yankee Stadium. Got it.

Let's get this straight, Rutgers refuses to play Notre Dame in the Meadowlands because ND should respect Rutgers and play in the small home stadium when the Meadowlands is just a few miles down the road. Now, Rutgers will play Maryland in Yankee Stadium giving up a home game to lay further away against an opponent nobody in NYC cares about in the smaller Yankee Stadium. Got it.
It's all about the B1G. RU will do anything for them. And they should, for being invited into that exclusive club.

That's the point. The Rutgahs fans would be lost in a sea of green if they played ND in the Meadowlands. By playing the Twerps in Yankee Stadium, they stand a good chance that the TV cameras won't be able to distinguish between the 25 in Twerp red and the 50 in Rutgahs red.

It's all about the B1G. RU will do anything for them. And they should, for being invited into that exclusive club.
I was just enjoying the irony. I get why, but could not pass up the chance to keep things in focus. Rutgers has to do whatever they are told to do. When they had a chance to do something impressive they pansied out. Now they are nothing but a body bag game for B1G foes.

-----
Notre dame is a greedy program and always wants the lions share... Their multi game deals usually have them playing a bunch at their place, maybe one at your place, and one at a Giants stadium... And wanting most of the revenue from the Giant stadium game to boot

Playing the one game at Yankee stadium against Maryland is not good, the fans agree with that...but it is not like selling your soul to play Notre dame... Not a very good comparison.

-----
Notre dame is a greedy program and always wants the lions share... Their multi game deals usually have them playing a bunch at their place, maybe one at your place, and one at a Giants stadium... And wanting most of the revenue from the Giant stadium game to boot

Playing the one game at Yankee stadium against Maryland is not good, the fans agree with that...but it is not like selling your soul to play Notre dame... Not a very good comparison.
Respectfully, I disagree. When Rutgers needed exposure and money back in the Big East days and Notre Dame was seeking to help the Big East by verbal agreement to schedule three games annually against the Big East, Rutgers (and UConn) flatly rejected ND's offer. There was little to no negotiation effort made. ND moved on to other Big East schools. USF hosted ND at home Syracuse agreed to the Meadowlands because the money and NYC exposure were within the marketing plan, other schools were scheduled. ND made an opening offer, not a carved in stone demand, take it or leave it deal. Rutgers overestimated their value and lost on the deal (as did UConn).

Rutgers could have agreed to the deal, bargained for home and home status though the venue was changed or any number of variations, possibly even a true home game. Negotiations have to start somewhere, ND was going to propose what was in their best interest but would negotiate down to what they could accept.

When the ACC grabbed Syracuse and Pitt, Rutgers was reeling. Then off go ND and then Louisville. Now Rutgers is left with less income, a program coming off its plateau and was begging for a conference. The B1G came calling and Rutger agreed to any and all demands. This is shown by the-buy in deal compared to Maryland, the moving of a home game to a much smaller venue with a much less appealing opponent. Playing in NYC is not likely to be limited to just one game. You may soon be expected to play Michigan, tOSU or PSU, possibly even UNL in the Meadowlands or Yankee Stadium, once they can verify whether they have sufficient fans in the region to support a demand. Remember, B1G schools share the gate from ticket sales (which puffs up their annual payout!) and if Rutgers refuses, that would diminish returns for all schools, opening a door for claims against Rutgers or, if Rutgers fails to provide something more significant than a body bag game, the boot.

No one denies Rutgers was brought in to the B1G for cable boxes, but it has already been proved that the cable boxes are not as lucrative as dreamed of, even with the crafty fake accounting, cord cutters are cutting into that plan as well as the millennials who rarely get cable to start with. Essentially, the sole purpose for bringing Rutgers is dying a slow death, measured in decades. Rutgers will have to prove itself between now and then to be of more value than simply cable boxes.

Even Rutger's attendance shows that they are completely dependent on the B1G as the boost in ticket sales is not from Rutgers fans buying tickets but from B1G school fans buying tickets to see their team. In Year 1, the sales came from the eastern schools which travel well. The drop off in year 2 was due to the opponents the B1G sent to Rutgers, fan bases that do not travel as well (though respectably). Unless Rutgers starts winning and continues to do so in the B1G (not cheesy OOC games) and against the big boys for a couple decades, Rutgers will remain a means for B1G fans in NYC to see their team play, essentially a home away from home.

Remember, you are talking to Syracuse Hoops fans as well as Syracuse football fans. Our hoops fans often dominate home fans if they are not banned from buying tickets (See Georgetown, NYC, USF, et al.). So much so that commentators claimed anything within several hundred miles is a home game for Syracuse (it is now a running gag). We understand how traveling fan bases and how playing games in heavy fan based areas works.

Thanks for the reply, a lot to digest.

First off, I still contend that when Notre dame attempts to schedule a RU, or a Uconn, they attempt to really get the better of it, to the point of being
Ridiculous... The deal with Uconn was supposed to be about eight games total, and in the end only one of those games would have been at uconns home field, one at a local pro stadium, the rest at Notre dame... Uconn actually had accepted this offer, it was in the papers, and the the deal ultimately fell apart.

The rumor with RU again was that ND wanted the lions share of the money when the games were to be played in NJ... I don't think Syracuse would have gone for such a one sided deal either... Today you are protected by the ACC arrangement. Now Notre dame seemed to have no problem going one for one with a Boston college, in olden times, but not with RU or a Uconn.

I do not believe Notre Dame was going to give us a better deal after negotiations as you suggest... They are flat out greedy.

The RU attendance, like most mid tier schools, is driven by optimism at first, then results... The first year in the big 10 RU averaged 50,632, including out of conference games

Even with a so so season that first year, renewals were reported at 90%, with 2,500 new ticket applications, this last year... Not a huge drop off

If RU sells 31,000 season tickets, it leaves 6,000 tickets for general sale... RU can sell that many season tickets...10,000 to the students 3,000 visiting team, 2,000
Officials and recruits.

Like any program, if the season goes poorly, some fans will sell their game tickets to a Ohio state fan, for instance... This did happen at RU this past year... Ohio state could have gotten 12,000 or so... They had a lot of fans, but probably 3,000 were available tickets, the rest were from RU fans.

So big 10 fans are not so responsible for total ticket sales, a Much larger number buy by resale.

.. The first year,against Penn state, they probably only got about 5,000 fans into the stadium, because most RU fans hung onto their tickets, and went to the game... This past year, fans sold out for bigger games.

Lastly Maryland has gotten more money from the league up front... It is our understanding that by the time both Maryland and RU are full members, the amount both schools will have gotten will be the same... Maryland getting less than RU in the last couple of years in the break in period.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, a lot to digest.

I do not believe Notre Dame was going to give us a better deal after negotiations as you suggest... They are flat out greedy.

I've already made my points on the other stuff. On this point, I must disagree. ND could join any conference simply by telling that conference they want in. All the P5 teams have better TV deals, though ND will renegotiate when theirs is up. Claiming it is all ND greed is a little disingenuous...and I don't like ND, I simply respect that they have a national following, want to play to that base and can do so at this time.

I've already made my points on the other stuff. On this point, I must disagree. ND could join any conference simply by telling that conference they want in. All the P5 teams have better TV deals, though ND will renegotiate when theirs is up. Claiming it is all ND greed is a little disingenuous...and I don't like ND, I simply respect that they have a national following, want to play to that base and can do so at this time.

You're wrong if you think Rutgers didn't try to negotiate with Notre Dame. We had played them in the past, under former AD Bob Mulcahy, when we play a home and home. in the mid 90's.

I know Tim Pernetti. He wasn't going to allow RU to be played this way.

This time around, Notre Dame wanted a 4 game series, with two games in South Bend, one at Rutgers Stadium, and one at The Meadowlands, with ND given the lion's share of tickets and parking gate for that Giants Stadium game.

It was basically going to be three home games for ND versus 1 for RU. A bullSh** deal, and they thought they could get their way.

We told them this was B.S. and wanted more equal terms, and one of those terms would be splitting the gate at Giants Stadium instead of ND having the advantage. Instead of what they demanded, we asked for a (still ND favored) 2-1 home-away series... with a 4th being a neutral game with even gate exchange.

Notre Dame wanted no part of that, and RU promptly cancelled the series.

I'm glad we didn't bend over backwards to take it from the "Almighty Notre Dame". I'm so glad we told them SEE YA when they thought their greatness warranted their greed.

On another note, you're also wrong if you think our increase in attendance is strictly because other schools are bringing their fans to fill our stadium.

Rutgers had 50,855 for FREAKING Howard University on the very same day SU played Southern Cal at the Meadowlands in front of 39,505...so we don't need the Big Ten teams to fill our stadium.

Against PSU and Michigan, we kept their fans out, as they had less than 8K fans compared to our 46K+ fans. Same for the games against Wisconsin, and Maryland.

Ohio State and Nebraska were the only teams we've played where their fans had more than a quarter of the crowd, and they had about a third. Of course, we were already begging to have Flood fired by the time we played a Nebraska team which travels as well as any team in the country...so that is no surprise.

A common misconception that RU attendance is driven by big 10 admittance. Here is the figures I found for the past 4 years

2012. 49,188. Average per game pre big 10
2013. 46,549. Pre big 10
2014. 50,632. Big 10
2015. 47,723. big 10

So 2012, a pre big 10 year was the second largest average crowd, and really all the averages were not significantly higher or lower

The drop off in 2015 was a common thing for many schools this past year. The Cuse drop off in 2015 I am sure has been discussed here, the Ru drop off was about
9.4 percent, not quite as severe.

Hopefully both Cuse and RU fill their stadiums this year.

A common misconception that RU attendance is driven by big 10 admittance. Here is the figures I found for the past 4 years

2012. 49,188. Average per game pre big 10
2013. 46,549. Pre big 10
2014. 50,632. Big 10
2015. 47,723. big 10

So 2012, a pre big 10 year was the second largest average crowd, and really all the averages were not significantly higher or lower

The drop off in 2015 was a common thing for many schools this past year. The Cuse drop off in 2015 I am sure has been discussed here, the Ru drop off was about 9.4 percent, not quite as severe.

Hopefully both Cuse and RU fill their stadiums this year.
When you announce official attendance, is it paid tickets or fannies in seats?

I was wondering the same thing. I don't know the pricing structure at RU, but it might be worth it for a NYC based UM or OSU fan, for example, to buy Ruttie seasons so they have their tix for their team.

Boy, I totally missed the post where it says Rutgers will play their home game against Maryland in Yankee Stadium. Wow that is one huge slap across the face as the big ten fears that that game would have attracted only a few fans if played at Rutgers.

Lots of confidence the big ten has over there between the two teams.

Is the big ten really saying that they have no faith from NYC natives traveling to Jersey to help fill the seats between two Marquee of the big ten.

Boy, I totally missed the post where it says Rutgers will play their home game against Maryland in Yankee Stadium. Wow that is one huge slap across the face as the big ten fears that that game would have attracted only a few fans if played at Rutgers.

Is the big ten really saying that they have no faith from NYC natives traveling to Jersey to help fill the seats between two Marquee of the big ten.
I expect the attendance at RU would have been about the same as in Yankee Stadium.

This is part of a plan to go "Big Time" and raise the B1G banner at an iconic venue (although, the new structure is not the same as "The Stadium").

It is paid seats, student tickets, promos, etc...

There was no way in hell 50k real fans were there for Howard. Cuse, Rutgers and UConn all fudge their numbers...

TexanMark said:
It is paid seats, student tickets, promos, etc... There was no way in hell 50k real fans were there for Howard. Cuse, Rutgers and UConn all fudge their numbers...

All 3 did tix distributed, until last year. Coyle changed it to actual people in the seats. We'll see what we do with a new AD.

-----
Part of the reason the big 10 wanted RU is they believe that RU could eventually be a NYC team in regards to college football interest... I am sure when discussions were going on for RU to join, Delaney might have asked if we would play there occasionally... The main draw for RU to get into the big 10 was tv, but a secondary thought was increasing RU support in the city, to further those tv numbers..... Plenty of RU alumni in NY

I personally think that part is a waste of time, as I am sure you do... No need to refute it.

However,
Your thoughts are exactly opposite to mine in regards to the attendance for that game... RU will have a baseline of at least 40 something thousand for all its home games...as you can see from the figures above, RU averages between 46-50 thousand over the last four years.

When we play in Yankee stadium I would expect less season ticket holders to go to the game...
There will be less fans there than if played in Piscataway.

The fans hate the venue, we all know the view sucks, you lose out on tailgating, etc.
Many have already said they would rather watch on tv.

The attendance for any late season game depends on how well the season is going till that point...the last home Maryland game had decent ticket sales, but was
Attended poorly, a number of ticket holders just did not show as the season was ending as a disappointment.

I was wondering the same thing. I don't know the pricing structure at RU, but it might be worth it for a NYC based UM or OSU fan, for example, to buy Ruttie seasons so they have their tix for their team.
We have VPI fans who do that in odd years to get tickets to the UVa-VPI game in C'ville. We heard stories that ND fans did the same thing last year to get tickets to the UVa-ND game.

We have VPI fans who do that in odd years to get tickets to the UVa-VPI game in C'ville. We heard stories that ND fans did the same thing last year to get tickets to the UVa-ND game.
----
The attendance figures over the past four years were posted on this thread already..( post #3336).. The last two years are in the big10, the first two, before...

You will see there is not a big difference between the before big ten and after figures... The second best year was before the big 10.

Pharm73 said:
---- The attendance figures over the past four years were posted on this thread already..( post #3336).. The last two years are in the big10, the first two, before... You will see there is not a big difference between the before big ten and after figures... The second best year was before the big 10.

Yeah, someone is messing with those numbers. Better opponents? Better traveling fan bases? Roughly the same attendance. Don't buy it.

It is paid seats, student tickets, promos, etc...

There was no way in hell 50k real fans were there for Howard. Cuse, Rutgers and UConn all fudge their numbers...

Well Mark, you can throw out the stats when Rutgers plays Howard!

Sorry for adding to this thread, but this is too damn good not to. It's actually pretty cute, Rutgers thinks Michigan's its rival.

Elite Student Leaders Achieve Peak Rutgers | mgoblog

Cute letter,

27267987800_65e32b0ba6_o.jpg

Cute letter,

27267987800_65e32b0ba6_o.jpg
GFYS down the left side is a quality touch

*Edit on further review they couldn't even get that right as it reads Go F@ck Yougself. Maybe the G was meant to be silent