The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 141 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

So are 45 other schools. We need wins on the field. Any hand wringing over Rutgers class is silly.
again my angst is related to them getting jersey recruits that we have offered and not getting.we need to get back to nj(ala strickland)

tipphill said:
again my angst is related to them getting jersey recruits that we have offered and not getting.we need to get back to nj(ala strickland)

Both teams have offered 8 of the same kids: Rutgers 6, Syracuse 2

Of Rutgers commits with Syracuse offers, 3 were offered by Shafer. Don't know if the new staff stayed on them.

Head to head Babers v Ash we have highest ranked in Devito.

I think they have a nice class (in July). But it's really 2 kids and our class. Lose 1 or 2 at the top and we may pass them.

Both teams have offered 8 of the same kids: Rutgers 6, Syracuse 2

Of Rutgers commits with Syracuse offers, 3 were offered by Shafer. Don't know if the new staff stayed on them.

Head to head Babers v Ash we have highest ranked in Devito.

I think they have a nice class (in July). But it's really 2 kids and our class. Lose 1 or 2 at the top and we may pass them.

...and it's July. NLOI day is a full season+ away. Rutgers has plenty of time to drop the ball...again.

...and it's July. NLOI day is a full season+ away. Rutgers has plenty of time to drop the ball...again.

From MGoBlog's analysis of win probabilities:

What can be said about Rutgers? OK, how about this: they've gotten a new coach with some OSU heritage, so now they're acting like it's the second coming of Bo Schembechler. Otherwise, it's not a pretty picture for the Scarlet Knights. Basically, they're staring at a 10% (S&P+) to 30% (FPI) chance of not having a losing season, including a near freebie from Howard University.

2016_FPI_preseason_PDF_Rutg.png

Alot of rutgers fans seem to think SU fans are mad about Ash going to them. Its the total opposite. Most seemed pretty unimpressed when they heard he was being considered. We all wanted a offensive guy with head coaching experience. Ash is doing a good job of making jersey kids believe it will be different. Not sure if he can win in that division with 3 star jersey and NYC players. You dont know what he will be like as a HC. Could be good , could be bad.

Yup, it was a borderline meltdown when his name came up...

Chris Ash thread...

I just finished reading a newspaper story about UConn's situation in the NY Times (but dated 3/13/2016) and some things they wrote were striking. In reviewing the old Big East, they referred to "Rutgers, which mainly competes for the title of America’s worst-run athletic program" (my italics). I will link it below and won't quote all of it, but there is also this zinger: "When the Big Ten, which had formed the first all-conference television network in 2007, decided it could increase revenue by breaking into the New York media market, it chose woeful Rutgers over UConn. That is because the Big Ten universities pride themselves on being members of the Association of American Universities, a prestigious, if anachronistic, organization of top research institutions."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/14/sports/basketball/football-drags-on-uconns-power-5-ambitions.html

Last edited:
I just finished reading a newspaper story about UConn's situation in the NY Times (but dated 3/13/2016) and some things they wrote were striking. In reviewing the old Big East, they referred to "Rutgers, which mainly competes for the title of Americagri a’s worst-run athletic program" (my italics). I will link it below and won't quote all of it, but there is also this zinger: "When the Big Ten, which had formed the first all-conference television network in 2007, decided it could increase revenue by breaking into the New York media market, it chose woeful Rutgers over UConn. That is because the Big Ten universities pride themselves on being members of the Association of American Universities, a prestigious, if anachronistic, organization of top research institutions."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/14/sports/basketball/football-drags-on-uconns-power-5-ambitions.html
i read that same article and fully agree. they are well positioned in nj for the reseach. the athletic leadership has been woeful. they have also hired a new ad and will be investing in their facilities including a new hoops arena(so they say). taking ru over uconn was a no brainer. i have beaten the dead horse enough re recruiting nj. we need that presence there. i still remain amazed that nys hs football remains at such a low level. obviously we are hamstrung by ny regulations re it. the upside for me is that perhaps that speaks well for nys in having priorities in order re education. i really don't have a clue though, (my wife tells me that often)

1. Why on earth does it matter how we compare with them when they are not a team we play?

2. We need the best recruits for this system, wherever they are. NJ is important, yes. But Rutgers is mining almost only NJ kids. Not sure that alone gets it done (esp since the top kids still go elsewhere).

3. We have several commits with Rutgers offers.

4. We currently have the #1 QB in NJ, and the #2 overall in the east.

5. It is ludicrous to predict how Ash will do, because he's never been a HC before. It's completely reasonable to have an idea how Babers will do since he's done it twice at two different levels.

6. I don't think you've read my last post about this recruiting gap between Rutgers and Syracuse. It was two 4* players and that they had 10 more kids than we did. But since Devito is now been bumped again and we've signed a few more kids, the gap is even less than before. Dohn said today we have a couple of kids (a 2* and an unranked Canadian that he hasn't seen play yet, but that a bump might happen there too).

1. Perception? We don't play them anymore but we do actively go against them in recruiting and to get back on top we will need to out do them in NJ/NY, agreed about the difference in our system being more important.

2. NJ is one of the best states at producing talent, I remember like 5-6 years ago NJ had like 6 or 7 guys who were first round picks. Only one or two of them went to RU.(check their rankings, they have half of the top 10 committed). additionally they have the most recruits per p5 schools instate. Their biggest competitor instate is what Monmouth or Rowan?

3. they have more with offers from us. I'm not sure which players currently committed to either team had current offers from the current HC's, so moot point either way.

4. Not sure why this is a point, we run two different offenses, theirs is much more reliant on a mobile and fast QB while ours is not.

5. Agreed, the only thing that you can bring up as a counter is that Ash was a coordinator in a p5 conference and barbers wasn't. But I don't find this as a major issue at all.

5. Agreed, the only thing that you can bring up as a counter is that Ash was a coordinator in a p5 conference and barbers wasn't. But I don't find this as a major issue at all.
"barbers"?

Babers has been a coordinator in a P5 conference. He has also been a head coach for 4 years. I'll take Dino.

"barbers"?

Babers has been a coordinator in a P5 conference. He has also been a head coach for 4 years. I'll tatly take Dino.

Babers*, still having my first cup of coffee. I was just strictly referring to their lasts stops. I know hes jumped around from a lot of good/decent p5 schools but hes also spent the last 5 or 6 years as a HC in non p5 conferences. Like I said I don'f find this to be an issue at all, I also agree that Dino is nowhere near the gamble that Ash is.

Last edited:
1. Perception? We don't play them anymore but we do actively go against them in recruiting and to get back on top we will need to out do them in NJ/NY, agreed about the difference in our system being more important.

2. NJ is one of the best states at producing talent, I remember like 5-6 years ago NJ had like 6 or 7 guys who were first round picks. Only one or two of them went to RU.(check their rankings, they have half of the top 10 committed). additionally they have the most recruits per p5 schools instate. Their biggest competitor instate is what Monmouth or Rowan?

3. they have more with offers from us. I'm not sure which players currently committed to either team had current offers from the current HC's, so moot point either way.

4. Not sure why this is a point, we run two different offenses, theirs is much more reliant on a mobile and fast QB while ours is not.

Monmouth is Fcs, and Rowan is d3, they aren't competing against those guys for players, if they did, they would be an even bigger doormat than they already are.

Monmouth is Fcs, and Rowan is d3, they aren't competing against those guys for players, if they did, they would be an even bigger doormat than they already are.

Ugh, that was my point. They have no instate competition. Those two would probably be classified as the next best option for a kid if they wanted to stay in state. While a state like Cali, texas, or Fla have a significantly larger pool of D1 instate talent, each of those states probably have at least 5 D1 programs.

Last edited:
Ugh, that was my point. They have no instate competition. Those two would probably be classified as the next best option for a kid if they wanted to stay in state. While a state like Cali, texas, or Fla have a significantly larger pool of D1 instate talent, each of those states probably have at least 5 D1 programs.

Rutgers problem is no one who plays football in Nj dreams of going to Rutgers. If you live in Alabama you dream of playing for the Crimson Tide, the same with with a lot of other state schools.

Rutgers problem is no one who plays football in Nj dreams of going to Rutgers. If you live in Alabama you dream of playing for the Crimson Tide, the same with with a lot of other state schools.

I'm not sure what that has to do with what I was saying. My reply was in response to somebody saying NJ doesn't have enough talent to field a D1 team. I'm just saying why I disagree with that. Who the talent is going to has nothing to do with it. Specifically referencing that NJ has a lot of D1 talent and only one D1 schhol, where as states that produce more talent then NJ have multiple D1 schools in state. Shoot some states produce less and have multiple D1 schools. It makes it easier for an out of state school to get its foot in the door, we need a foot in that door.

I'm not sure what that has to do with what I was saying. My reply was in response to somebody saying NJ doesn't have enough talent to field a D1 team. I'm just saying why I disagree with that. Who the talent is going to has nothing to do with it. Specifically referencing that NJ has a lot of D1 talent and only one D1 schhol, where as states that produce more talent then NJ have multiple D1 schools in state. Shoot some states produce less and have multiple D1 schools. It makes it easier for an out of state school to get its foot in the door, we need a foot in that door.

You said they have no instate competition. For a school like Ohio State, that's a big deal since kids in that craphole of a state grow up wanting to play there. His comment was that no one grows up wanting to play for Rutgers, making the comment about instate competition irrelevant.

Basically Rutgers is the safety school for big time football players who don't get offers from PSU and Michgan.

Yes. But it goes beyond that.

In my experience no one wants to go to Rutgers period. It's where NJ high schoolers go if that's what they can afford. Or they are almost totally unconcerned about what most people think of as a real college experience.

It's a completely different thing from Michigan, where kids actively want to go to MSU or UM. Or Maryland, where UMCP is a typical college experience.

NJ's biggest export is college students leaving the State. The athletes live in that environment and are influenced by it.

Fixed.

I know some Michigan State families that would disagree with that.

But for those currently without longstanding ties to MSU or another school, UM is obviously the more sought-after school.

You said they have no instate competition. For a school like Ohio State, that's a big deal since kids in that craphole of a state grow up wanting to play there. His comment was that no one grows up wanting to play for Rutgers, making the comment about instate competition irrelevant.

Your really not getting what I'm saying. I don't care what school is getting the kids to commit. If its Mich, OSU, RU, or us. My point is that NJ is one of the best states at producing talent and its basically one of the only states with a D-1 program. The original comment that my point was countering was this " 2. We need the best recruits for this system, wherever they are. NJ is important, yes. But Rutgers is mining almost only NJ kids. Not sure that alone gets it done (esp since the top kids still go elsewhere)."

I was saying NJ by itself does produce enough talent in state to run a D1 football program but now that I'm rereading it I'm realizing the poster was just refer to Ru's ability to run a D1 program with mostly instate kids with caveat that the top ones still go out of state.