The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread... | Page 149 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Rutgers dumpster fire thread...

no brainer. this is our rival and if Babers does his job we can make this into a one sided affair when Terry Shea was inviting 70 pts from us on an annual basis.

i just read their rivals thread on the subject, does "money" post here. I actually had no clue that SU has 1 more bowl win than RU since 2010. RU loves talking about RECENT history. It doesnt get more recent than that lol.

Theyd rather get curb stomped across the country than play a winnable game vs a regional opponent. Sound logic.

LOL, one more bowl win and ZERO top 25 wins since 2010.

no brainer. this is our rival and if Babers does his job we can make this into a one sided affair when Terry Shea was inviting 70 pts from us on an annual basis.

Not our rival. Not even close to being a rival.

Few, if any, meaningful games ever played between the two schools
in any sport.

Georgetown used to be a Rival in basketball. Rutgers is a team we used to play in a conference that doesn't exist anymore.

You may not like their fan base, but that hardly makes them any kind of real rival.

Slapping someone around for decades and losing to them a few times during the worst period in the school's history does not make a rivalry. They are not and never have been a rival. They are the annoying kid that mouths off too much.

We should play them so we can beat them down and take any of the decent recruits that could be considering them.

You guys get so hung up on the word "rival". There are all sorts of levels of rivalry, and not all "rivals" need to be of the Army-Navy, Red Sox-Yankees, USA-USSR variety.

The problem with playing Rutgers is that I, and I think many of us, prefer to play one P5 team as part of our OOC schedule each year. If that P5 was Rutgers...blech. No thanks.

Those were some fun times, I miss those days.

Scooch said:
You guys get so hung up on the word "rival". There are all sorts of levels of rivalry, and not all "rivals" need to be of the Army-Navy, Red Sox-Yankees, USA-USSR variety. The problem with playing Rutgers is that I, and I think many of us, prefer to play one P5 team as part of our OOC schedule each year. If that P5 was Rutgers...blech. No thanks.

But if we had to play 2, sign me up for one vs a bad P5 in our closest recruiting grounds.

$1.09 billion of that was earned by players who had Rutgers coaches as their water boy/assistant coach

You guys get so hung up on the word "rival". There are all sorts of levels of rivalry, and not all "rivals" need to be of the Army-Navy, Red Sox-Yankees, USA-USSR variety.

The problem with playing Rutgers is that I, and I think many of us, prefer to play one P5 team as part of our OOC schedule each year. If that P5 was Rutgers...blech. No thanks.

This, were posting in a 186 page topic on a school we haven't played in awhile and we have something like 18 pages on "Is Rutgers a rival". Both schools get very testy when the other is mentioned and theres a lot of cross over with the geographic area of our two alumni bases. Its a rivalry, just because its not on the level of Texas/Okh or Mich/OSU doesn't mean its not a rivalry

If Rutgers is interested in this game it sounds like they are having attendance problems or are concerned about future attendance problems.

Once the newness and curiosity of the B1G wears off and the blow-out losses to Michigan and Ohio State add up, attendance understandably wanes. New Jersey --- the great majority of whom are not RU alumni --- people will only support winners.

I doubt they see SU as a "Big Name - Sure Win" proposition" with Babers in place. And more losing isn't what they need.

They built their inflated resume on Norfolk State and Howard. That's what they will stick with till the B1G tells them they have to stop,
we have attendance problems, they avg more than we do. most of su attendance is based on "townies" not alums. the city of syracuse has a history of only supporting winners in the long run. ask the nats. probably the most supported team in cny for the most years is the various hockey teams. people always say that winning cures everything, and i believe that to be true. as u have said ru has been a smoke and mirrors show for years on the back of weak schedueling. the ad mulcahy knew what he was doing when he "built" the program.

Last edited:
Not our rival. Not even close to being a rival.

Few, if any, meaningful games ever played between the two schools
in any sport.

Georgetown used to be a Rival in basketball. Rutgers is a team we used to play in a conference that doesn't exist anymore.

You may not like their fan base, but that hardly makes them any kind of real rival.

Listen I don't want to admit it either but Rutgers gets the blood boiling since 2005 or so. Rivalries evolve. Our football team has never had a constant rival.

Did they really just use two uconn players to support that. How hilarious
No. I see at least five six (Allen, Hamilton, Lamb, Napier, Drummond, Marshall). Also showing two Pitt players in Steven Adams and Lamar Patterson.

The replies from uconn (and pitt) fans are great.

Last edited:
This, were posting in a 186 page topic on a school we haven't played in awhile and we have something like 18 pages on "Is Rutgers a rival". Both schools get very testy when the other is mentioned and theres a lot of cross over with the geographic area of our two alumni bases. Its a rivalry, just because its not on the level of Texas/Okh or Mich/OSU doesn't mean its not a rivalry
It's not a rivalry.

One word: schadenfreude

I don't get the hang up. No need to overthink it.

Let's not call it a rivalry. Let's call it a team in a fertile recruiting ground, that thinks too highly of itself, that was our annual cupcake game for much of their existence, that slips in and out of incompetence and mediocrity - that's afraid of us.

See? All true. No semantics to get tangled in.

No. I see at least five six (Allen, Hamilton, Lamb, Napier, Drummond, Marshall). Also showing two Pitt players in Steven Adams and Lamar Patterson.

The replies from uconn (and pitt) fans are great.

Im no lawyer, at least not yet anyway, but im guessing rutgers isnt allowed to do this (use their likeness) without the players permission. Either this is illegal or ray allen and rip agreed to this

Im no lawyer, at least not yet anyway, but im guessing rutgers isnt allowed to do this (use their likeness) without the players permission. Either this is illegal or ray allen and rip agreed to this
What a bad idea all around. Some idiot conceived the idea and then a bunch of idiots didn't stop him. What an embarrassment, but I didn't even think of the legal ramifications.